Sony D515
Feb 27, 2003 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gryphon1972

Head-Fier
Now I understand why purk has been raving about the D515

Wow......its fantastic sounding......

I dont quite believe it when I saw it at cash converters for a ridiculous price.......grab it ......I am really blessed........
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi,
I'm glad that you like your D-515. I love mine as well. Have fun w/ it. How about some impressions?

Purk

Feb 27, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 14
It's a great player, it has something very luxurious about it. I love the fact that it can use AA batteries with that swing-out converter in the battery compartment. And those battery terminals are even gold or brass.

And then that cool anti-shock buffer gauge
biggrin.gif

Too bad the remote uses a custom microplug.

Feb 27, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 14
Gah! I really want this player. Great find on the d-515 gryphon. I'm still on the lookout.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 14
hmm....i am not good at words.....but i will use notorious' review as a reference.....

The impression was conducted using the Senn HD497 and CHA47 amp...
tongue.gif

I agree with notorious in almost all regards of his review except that I have a slight different opinion or maybe additional points on the comparison of the D515 with amp and without amp.

The sound with the amp is slightly more forward in the mids, more pristine in the highs, more define base. IMHO, I dont find the mids more liquid. In all, the sound is faster with the amp. It could be due to the Senn 497 and the connecting wires.

The bass without the amp seems a little fatter......less controlled. The mids oh the mids
biggrin.gif
..... its more laid back and relax than with the amp. The piano is more relax, more natural sounding. The highs presents a less sense of ambience. Less air around the instruments.

Dispite the shortcomings of the slight difference between with amp and without amp. For now preference is given to the D515 using the build in headphone amp.....for its midrange.

Looks like I am going to sell the CHA47
rolleyes.gif

But if one day the D515 dies..............

Mar 1, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)
...Too bad the remote uses a custom microplug.

There is a Micro to Mini adapter, though. In fact, I have one that came with my recent D-515 purchase. I don't use it, since I use my META42 from the D-515 line out.

Point being, if anybody wants it, PM me, and we can work something out.

Mar 3, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 14
Don't get to excited about the miniplug -mini adapter, the remote is probably the worst I have ever heard. I thought the remote on my R900 MD was taking away from my listening experience? Sheesh! (I believe it is the same remote for the D-777.) So in other words, borrow one from me or someone else, before dropping $60.00 on a cord you will not use!!

Mar 3, 2003 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Pielet
Don't get to excited about the miniplug -mini adapter, the remote is probably the worst I have ever heard. I thought the remote on my R900 MD was taking away from my listening experience? Sheesh! (I believe it is the same remote for the D-777.) So in other words, borrow one from me or someone else, before dropping $60.00 on a cord you will not use!!

It's not the same remote as the one for the D-777. I already have the remote (RM-DM4L) and DeeJayBump is sending me the adapter for free.

But thanks for the warning at any rate
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 14
Actually I can't seem to hear any sound degradation with Sony remotes... maybe you need some contact cleaner spray?!?

The D-777 remote is the RM-DM20L... I personally don't like the micro-to-mini adaptor because it's quite bulky... I use a microplug 888MP and it's fantastic! I just hope I can nail down a 484MP one day...

Mar 3, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 14
888MP, wow, first time I've heard of it. Can you still buy those anywhere?

Mar 3, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 14
gryphon1972 my cha-47 ran off of 3aaa batteries so that is most likely why your cha-47 sounds different then mine did.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Mar 3, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 14
Micro-mini adapter bulky? I think we are talking about different things. I think I meant to say my cord which goes from my D-77 to the remote, which is a sony plug to sony plug. And, I wish I had a different remote, it seems mine is the only one with major degradation when I use it.

Mar 3, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 14
Yeah I really think the adaptor is bulky... since it's a two-piece adaptor with a tiny cord in-between if you know what I mean... so whenever I clip the remote onto my jacket, the extra weight of the adaptor for the miniplug end would pull the earphone cord downward feeling rather uncomfortable...

So what's this bad sound of your remote? background hiss? less clarity overall?

I bought the last 888MP at a local parallel import store... I haven't seen a restock since (it was about a year ago) but only 888SP and LP... Sony made MP variants of most of their earphones (838, 848, 868, 888, and older bestsellers like 747, 484 and 565)... The 800 ones are still available from Sony in Japan and the South East Asia area like Hong Kong and Taiwan. But they are getting rarer at the parallel import stores around here since MP is not popular and doesn't sell when most ppl have sparkling new type remotes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back