SONY D5
Mar 3, 2002 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RobertR

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know about the Sony D5. I found one at a pawn shop down in Branson Mo. ..in good shape with a manufacturing date of 1995. It looks a bit like the D25S (square only thicker and plastic case).
I don't have any specs except it requires 9vdc ,doesn't have the coveted resume of other sonys and seems to have a pretty hefty output judging from a quick listen. Now that I'm the proud owner of ETY4 I plan to give it another audition when we return to the the lake this spring. Would appreciate any input cause you all steered me in the right direction re; ety.

Mar 3, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 4
I've got a D-5. It was the first PCDP made. I don't like the sound as well as some of the later Sonys like the D-25 and D-303, it seems to be a little brighter, the highs are emphasized a bit more. Very powerful output though. Unless it is dirt cheap, you are better off getting a D-25S for $45.

-Keith

Mar 4, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 4
I used to have one (a D-5) wayyyyyy back when. Can't remember what cans I used with it but I know they weren't the stock Sonys that came with it. It was indeed the first 'portable' but the case needed to provide it with power when away from a wall was so big and heavy it wasn't exactly a treat to take places! It also sucks juice like a V-8 drinks fuel. 6 C-cells were good for about 4 hours of play. Still, back when I was 13 it was the coolest thing around and those silver discs were magical. Anyone else remember cardboard longboxes???
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 4
My friend still has his d-5. I wouldn't reccomend getting it unless its a drop dead good price. The reason why people are raving bout the d25 is because its a good solid unit for a good price, not neccessarily because its an antique.

Anyway, my friends d-5 is busted really bad so i can't listen to it. I think it possibly could be quite durable seeing as how he trashed it for almost 2 decades and it only broke 2 years ago. All else i can remember bout it is that it eats batteries for breakfast, sounded horrible through stock phones (not unlike all players), and was pretty hefty to take around with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back