Sony D311
Nov 16, 2004 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rayq

Head-Fier
Hi, I listen my Sony D311 through a Senn PX200 directly from the headphone out. Do you think the PX200 can reveil all the potential of the D311? Do I need a amp connected to the line out in order to get the better performance of the D311 (with the already sensitive PX200)? Or do I need a better cans to reveil the secret of the D311?

Indeed, the D311 is better than my old Sony D-NE510, but it is just not enough to give me a WOW! And from time to time, I have to lower the volume to avoid the fatigue to my ears (I used to listen at volume setting 2 at my office and 4 on the road)! Any input is welcome and highly appreciated. Thanks.

Ray

Nov 16, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 15
I have a D-311 & PX100 phones. I think the phones will really benefit from
a amp. I use a SR-71 and the sound really opens up
orphsmile.gif

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 15
I agree with Smith. I usually listen to D-311 with HD25-1 or PortaPros. While it sounds nice enough straight from the headphone out, going through XP-71 sounds noticeably better. The great thing about the old D-311 and D-303 is that the bassboost functions through the lineout, not only through the headphone out.

Nov 16, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 15
Since I don't have the original ext. battery pack (I am looking for one, anyone?), I made a DIY battery pack of 4 AA's from Radioshack. Though it is not great, it lasts about 4 CD's w/o failing. I haven't hit the limit of the pack, I don't know the max hours. It is inconvinient to charge the batteries all the time, but this is the most economic way (costed me < $5).

Also, it will easily skip if you walk a bit faster; forget about it if you are running to catch the bus
frown.gif

Other than the SR-71 which will hurt my wallet too much, how much will the CMOY benefit the setup?

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 15
As for D-311 battery, I use a lithium-ion PowerRunner. It keeps D-311 going for 23 hours straight; requires 7 hours to recharge when completely empty. I've had other posts on this topic; if you're interested do a search on the word "PowerRunner."

Nov 17, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozniot
I agree with Smith. I usually listen to D-311 with HD25-1 or PortaPros. While it sounds nice enough straight from the headphone out, going through XP-71 sounds noticeably better. The great thing about the old D-311 and D-303 is that the bassboost functions through the lineout, not only through the headphone out.

Hmmm, either you're mistaken or my D-303 does not function properly. I get no bass boost using the line out.

Do you mean to tell me you need bass boost with HD25-1s and an XP-7? You must be a basshead!
basshead.gif
cool.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 15
Let me step in here. The players that has bassboost capabilities through the line out are Sony D-311, D-555, D-515, and D-211. There might be other players, but out of all those four, D-311 is probably the best of them all through both line out and headphone out.

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 15
I used to own the D311 for about a month and sold it because I couldn't find the "secret" either. Maybe there is none. Anyway, it's a good player but the Sony D211 performed just as well with a slightly worse line out and more powerful headphone out. Not sure about the PX200 but my HD 25 connected to the D311's headphone out didn't sound a lot worse than the HD 25 connected to a Gilmore Lite to the line out. The D311 is pretty though.

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
I used to own the D311 for about a month and sold it because I couldn't find the "secret" either. Maybe there is none.

There is no secret other than these vintage PCDP sound better than a lot of modern ones, which really isn't a secret because it's been discussed repeatedly around here. However, sometimes people have unrealistic expectations of these portable players and think they're going to sound better than their home sources, which is hardly ever the case.

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
There is no secret other than these vintage PCDP sound better than a lot of modern ones, which really isn't a secret because it's been discussed repeatedly around here. However, sometimes people have unrealistic expectations of these portable players and think they're going to sound better than their home sources, which is hardly ever the case.

Yes, absolutely. There's just no comparison to a decent home cdp. But even compared to a Sony D211 (which can be had for a lot less) I didn't perceive a remarkable differences to the D311. The D311 still had a better line out but in my opinion that difference was relatively small.

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
The D311 still had a better line out but in my opinion that difference was relatively small.

Yes, isn't that what we love to do? We discuss very subtle details that would be enough to drive a sane person crazy.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I agree with your point but that slight improvement from the D-211 to the D-311 is worth it for some.

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Yes, isn't that what we love to do? We discuss very subtle details that would be enough to drive a sane person crazy.
very_evil_smiley.gif

eggosmile.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

I agree with your point but that slight improvement from the D-211 to the D-311 is worth it for some.

Part of the problem is that these old portables have a lot of variability in sound even among the same model. This is due to the aging of the electrolytic capacitors and other parts that don't always hold up under age and portable conditions.

I had a D-211 that sounded just OK and a D-311 that sounded wonderful. The D-311 straight to my Grado SR-60 was probably the best portable combo I have ever had. I have heard several different D-555's each of which sounded different, ranging from not so good to very good.

If your D-311 is in good shape, it has one of the best headphone outs ever available in a portable CD player. I don't think an amp is necessary with this one unless you are using very inefficient headphones.

Nov 17, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
If your D-311 is in good shape, it has one of the best headphone outs ever available in a portable CD player. I don't think an amp is necessary with this one unless you are using very inefficient headphones.

Agreed, my D-311 sounds just great straight out of the headphone out to my AT-A700. I have yet to use my D-311 thru the line out with an amp my AT-A700. Certainly it will sound better thru the line out with an amp but the D-311 drives the A700s with ease thru the headphone out that I felt an amp wasn't necessary to get great sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back