Sony D311 Owner, Your Input Is Needed!
Dec 15, 2004 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rayq

Head-Fier
Hi All,

Have you ever tried to connect a rather sensitive headphone (let's say PX200) directly (unamped) to the line out? Is it normal to hear some distortion in that way? I am asking this since I want to try out the famed line-out of the D311, when I connect the META42 (newly acquired as used) to the line-out to drive my PX200, I feel the high is a little bit too bright (can't listen for long at more or less the same volume level; my ears hurts
confused.gif
) while there is no such problem with the headphone out. However, there is no such distortion as the line-out unamped. Is the META42 brighter than the built-in amp in D311? Or it just reveal the brightness of the PX200? Any of your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ray

Dec 15, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 5
After reading the first line.. gotta say...

Do NOT use the line out with headphones... complete disaster is possible.

Dec 15, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 5
To elaborate, the line out carries a different current / voltage than what the headphones need, and infact the 'phones can ask to draw TOO MUCH current from the line out, and cause irreparable damage!

Do so at your own risk
smily_headphones1.gif
(that is NOT the case for combi headphone / line outs, but - the D311 does not have one of those)

Dec 15, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayq
I am asking this since I want to try out the famed line-out of the D311, when I connect the META42 (newly acquired as used) to the line-out to drive my PX200, I feel the high is a little bit too bright (can't listen for long at more or less the same volume level; my ears hurts
confused.gif
) while there is no such problem with the headphone out. However, there is no such distortion as the line-out unamped. Is the META42 brighter than the built-in amp in D311? Or it just reveal the brightness of the PX200? Any of your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ray

How does the combination of your PX200 and META42 sound like on other players? Try connecting your META42 and PX200 combo to another source to see if you get the same results.

Dec 16, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Unfornately, I don't have another player with the line-out and the META42 doesn't have RCA input to receive signal from the home size CD player or I don't have a RCA to mini cable ...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back