Sony D25S on the way... Few questions.
Jan 31, 2003 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Xander

The XanMan is back!
My curiosity got the best of me, and I just gave someone an excellent trade for one of these things and a couple of batteries.

I have experience with much older CD players, like my old Sony, AKAI, and so forth, and old error correction seems to be very good. Infact, sometimes better than newer players. And you have to admit the DACs in the older units sound better, as apposed to the new "1-Bit and up, ones."

The only thing is, newer CDs are produced much more cheaply, and have wobble. Older CD players hate this in my experience, and with electrical knowledge of the older units (tracking systems in older CD players are less flexible) -- I'm worried about this unit being unhappy with some of my CDs..

Has anyone experienced any problems with this unit and slightly wobbly (off-center pressings?)

Jan 31, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 13
Mine has played every CD that I've tried - I don't know if I have any "off-center pressings" though.

Jan 31, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 13
I understand what your saying. I think it is a different design you are speaking of that has that issue. I have had problems with likes of the D-11, D-12 looking crowd. The 303 and 777 don't have that issue, I think due to a different chassis shape.

Jan 31, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 13
My D-35 only has had trouble with one of my CD's so far, The Four Seasons played by Nigel Kennedy. I'm not sure why. It reads all of my CD-R's with no problems.

Jan 31, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 13
I just got two new CDs and noticed one of them had small scratches all over and the other some small pits. So that's how brand new CD's look nowadays
mad.gif

The one with the scratches plays fine, but the (new) D-25s doesn't like the pits on the other one and starts skipping, while my more recent Philips discman doesn't seem to have any trouble at all with that CD.

I think error correction on the newer players has improved. I really like the older players though
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 13
Or the Sony just has poor error correction. I took a knife and tore a clean line through the labeling of a CD I didnt care for, and my AKAI CD player still spit out enough bits to keep the music playing un-interrupted.

It also plays other hurrendously scratched CD's as well.

And speaking of new CDs being scratched, I've had this happen every now and then. Just ordered some CDs online, actually, one of them, a double disc set, had all the little plasticy notches broken off and the CDs were laying inside the case with little scratches on the label and surface side.
frown.gif

Jan 31, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 13
Well, when I get it, I'll put it through my tests. Then everyone can know how decent it's playability really is. I have a lot of CDs that I got from a friend that were pretty poorly taken care of. And a few of my own that came victum to a cheap CD case.

We will see.

Jan 31, 2003 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 13
FWIW, I have a D25S and I don't think the error correction is all that great. I have a few discs that skip that don't on anything else. It's still a pretty good sounding discman though.

Jan 31, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
Or the Sony just has poor error correction.

What? Sony Super Strategy Cross Interleave Reed Solomon Code? With such an impressive name, how could that possibly be bad?
biggrin.gif

Gotta love those crazy Japanese Sony acronyms.

Yes, this problem could possibly be exclusive to old Sony (discmans).

Quote:

I took a knife and tore a clean line through the labeling of a CD I didnt care for, and my AKAI CD player still spit out enough bits to keep the music playing un-interrupted.

*shiver* That's pretty impressive though. Most of my CDs don't look that good, I just keep them lying around, stacked without boxes, but none of those skipped.

Quote:

It also plays other hurrendously scratched CD's as well.

And speaking of new CDs being scratched, I've had this happen every now and then. Just ordered some CDs online, actually, one of them, a double disc set, had all the little plasticy notches broken off and the CDs were laying inside the case with little scratches on the label and surface side.
frown.gif

That's really lame. I'm going to go back to the store with those CDs, they'd probably have to order new ones, which might be scratched as well. I hope their lighting isn't too diffuse, so they can see the scratches.

Jan 31, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 13
Just tried the pitted CD with the Denon DCP-150, seems to skip even more than the D-25s. So I guess it's not just a Sony thing.

One remedy is to copy the CD and use the copy with the PCDP, that apparently solves it as the copying process does some good error-correcting.

Feb 1, 2003 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 13
Not sure if this is really relevent, but the D-25 plays Rose Chronicles "Happily Ever After" with no problems. This is one of the earlier extended CDs (1996) that refuses to play on my much newer D-CJ01.

Feb 1, 2003 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 13
My 25S seems to play any cd or cdr i've thrown at it, i can't say the same for the D-33 which only gets picky with blue dyed cdr's.

Feb 1, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 13
I assume error correction is what prevents CDs from skipping when they're scratched...

If you want a skip happy CD player, get a D-3. I just purchased Zwan like 2 days ago, and it's already skipping. It has no visible scratches. It really moody with CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back