Sony D171
Mar 27, 2004 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

oneeyedhobbit

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, so during my quest to find a good vintage PCDP, I head home for spring break. While there, I remember the first portable player I ever had, way back in the day. I dug it out (still in perfect condition, minus a battery door) and it is a Sony D-171. Does anyone have any information on this particular player? It is definitely one of the later Sony models, I'd peg it at 97ish maybe. Straight away, the headphone jack is significantly better than my iPod headphone jack, but I've no idea how the line out performs. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

Mar 27, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 18
I have one too. Headphone jack is decent without megabass, and line-out is pretty good, I was delightfully surprised. Its also alittle more portable than other vintage PCDP, it doesnt have antishock but when carrying it in my jacket pocket it rarely skipped.

Oct 8, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnytimes
I have one too. Headphone jack is decent without megabass, and line-out is pretty good, I was delightfully surprised. Its also alittle more portable than other vintage PCDP, it doesnt have antishock but when carrying it in my jacket pocket it rarely skipped.

Glad someone else brought this up, albeit a long time ago. IMO, D-171 line out isn't pretty good, it's very good. Stunningly good, for a plastic portable (year of manufacture is 1998, btw). It beats both my DVD players, and my sound card, and most other consumer-grade line outs I've heard.

I believe this player uses a good quality high output DAC, 1-bit type. Someone on Audioasylum was tapping the DAC in one of these directly for audio, and comparing the resulting output to high-end DACs. Also, the transport mechanism is practically dead silent. And it has a low-battery indicator, a big plus with these PCDP's that eat batteries.

These players are cheap as dirt on eBay, btw. I've seen 'em go for $0.99! At that price, it's the audio bargain of a century.
biggrin.gif

P.S. to oneeyedhobbit -- did you ever give your D171 a good listen, and remember anything about your impressions?

Mar 21, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 18
Although vintage PCDP's seem a dying interest here, I did quite a bit of research on these forums recently when starting up a modest collection...which grew out of the simple need to replace a dead D-802K in my mobile PA rig. Somehow, I've ended up with 19 in all, representing models including the D303, D35, D2, D4, D11, D33, D34, D321, D121, D143, D802K...and the collection just keeps growing
biggrin.gif

After reading a couple of extremely positive comments on the D-171, I actually bought one in near-mint condition on Ebay. To possibly save some other fellow searcher some money, to my ear, this model is soundly spanked by every Discman I've listened to prior to 1995. That's listening via line out to a quality headphone amp, to give it every possible advantage.

In particular, mine exhibits a strange and decidedly unmusical harshness in certain frequencies in the treble region that, to my ear, makes it inferior even to undistinguished Discmen in my collection like the D-121. And Sony's industrial design team sure didn't lose much sleep laboring over the looks of the D-171. Yes, I've filed it under "D", for dog.

On the plus side, it's anti-skip works exceedingly well, but with the way it sounds, a skip might be considered a sonic improvement
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 18
I've read quite a few opinions of the 171 as underapreciated, and a few negative ones like yours. My favorite sleeper is the D-11. Super clean, powerful sound and goes for next to nothing on fleabay.

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 18
I absolutely agree with you on the D-11 being a warm and musical player that seems to go for next to nothing. Powerful and clean line and headphone outs. Definitely a sleeper. I think I ended up getting one near mint for $7.99 shipped
biggrin.gif

Maybe I came down a little harsh on the D-171, but my player's fatal flaw to my ear is that it seems to add an annoying sibilance to a narrow range of treble that adversely affects certain vocals in the tenor range...bluegrass not opera...
cool.gif
. Decidedly different than other lower end units I own, including a D-143, which sounds pretty nice overall. Been running the D-171 to see whether a little burn-in would help.

When I sell off some of my Discman, the D-171 will probably be the first to go. As I said, I was expecting much better SQ, considering some of the positive opinions I'd read, so I felt like I should to toss out a different view for consideration by others wondering what this player might be like.

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 18
Cool, glad to see another guy putzing around with these as it seems we missed the boat. The big head-fi rush on vintage PCDP's seems to have been 5 or 6 years ago...
confused.gif

Of the models you have that I also have or have had at one time, the D-35 is my all time favorite followed closely by the D-33. The 303 is nice but I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm probably gonna sell mine. I didn't see a D-5 in your list, that's a must have.
wink.gif

Care to share your thoughts on the 35, 33, 303 & 321? I've read all or most of the PCDP threads so I'm familiar with the popular opinion of these. Just curious to hear another's perspective!

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 18
my d-321 has amazing SQ.
However, it hiss.

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 18
Thoughts on the 35, 33, 303 & 321...glad to.

Normally I do my initial eval of a new old Discman via line out in my home studio setup through a pair of Tannoy Reveal monitors. My reference is the first cut on a Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder CD, "Walls of Time," which offers a good range of well-recorded three- and four-part vocal harmonies and a powerful mix of solo and ensemble acoustic instruments...I know the recording well and how the vocals and instruments should sound, so it works for me. Acoustic music of this sort presents a much less subjective sound palette than electric music and happens to be my main love.

Then I move the unit into my chairside setup to check it out in the way I spend most of my listening time.

I currently use the D-303 as my main listening unit through the line out into a Meier Audio Corda Headfive amp, so I have the most time with this player. Very detailed, very clean, very precise, good separation. Initially I felt it was a little lacking in bass but part of that has been changing as some new Senn 595s have finally seemed to burn in. [Edited to add: actually, I just realized, I first noticed a slight improvement when I switched to a Radio Shack multi-volt AC adapter that had higher output than the old OEM.] Beautiful to boot. Very decent soundstage, but not to the level of something like my home studio's Alesis Masterlink, which has a better transport, better DACs and many less miles under the tires...certainly wouldn't compare it with the Masterlink in 24 bit/96kHz 'cause that would be cruel to any Redbook player
wink.gif

Ah, the D-35! I picked up a D-35 recently off Ebay at a decent price. Excellent cosmetically, beautiful design and a wonderfully warm and musical sound. Haven't listened to it at length yet via headphones because, unfortunately, it seemed to have some laser alignment issues, i.e. skipping during the first track, probably due to shipping knocks. From what I hear, that's not uncommon with this model. I've been tweaking pots for many hours off and on and may have the problem resolved...but I've said that before
frown.gif
. I've set it up on some rubber cushioning to add some dampening, which also might have helped. Sad to say, when I just feel like relaxing with some music, I sometimes have avoided using it for fear of more tracking disappointment...but I'll get over that and spend some quality time with this player soon.

The D-35s are definitely cool: I'm hoping to invest enough effort to make it completely reliable and then treat it with kid gloves. I love this player more than it maybe deserves considering the grief it's caused me but I bet eventually it will live up to the high hopes I have for it
wink.gif
. I like warmth and initially, it may prove to offer an interesting mix, trading of a little of detail of the D-303 for a little of the warmth of the D-33 or D-11. Lots of potential, I think.

I have 3 D-33s and they have a sound quite similar to the D-11 to my ear, with maybe a touch more detail, but none of them have the crisp detail of the D-303 through the line out. Strong line out and good sound through the headphone out as well...WAY more powerful than the D-34. The D-33 and D-11 seem to be the cream of the crop IMO for the affordable Discman, and benefit from a solid build that allows them to take a few more knocks than some of the earlier units so you're safer buying them of Ebay if you're not a tweaker. A little more plastic than units like the D-303 and D-35, but a strong metal chassis, and they more than earn the "built like a tank" references and reputation for great sound for the price.

My D-321 is definitely less solidly built than all the above, but is an excellent performer nevertheless with fine SQ. Not that terribly far behind the D-303 from the line out. This is my "take it outside" player and has a great headphone out that works well with my Senn 595s. Clean, detailed, solid, balanced and very enjoyable. I normally use it without the ESP engaged, so I can't say for sure it's affect on the sound. Initially, I was afraid this player had tracking issues as well, but some careful cleaning of the laser seems to have solved the problem. For a middle period Sony model, it has a sort of design elegance that later units like the D-171 can only dream about
biggrin.gif

One final note, I was able to buy one of the NOS D-25S yesterday and am looking forward to comparing and contrasting it with these other players, especially the D-303.

These are merely preliminary thoughts. Actually, I'm still very much in the process of sorting through my collection...and enjoying every minute of it.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 18
Great reviews, thanks! I got my first headphone amp, an iBasso D1 a while ago so I should try running the D-303's lineout to that and really hear what it has to offer. Before that I tried running the lineout into my presonus firebox and out to my roland monitors and yeah, it sounded pretty spectacular in that configuration. Still I don't care much about line-out quality on a PCDP, I wanna get great sound right out of the headphone jack. Thus, 303 will probably get thrown to fleabay, and it sounds like I won't bother with a 171. I will anxiously await your thoughts on the D-25 because there have been very mixed reviews of that as well. Some love it, others don't think much of it. Frankly I want one just for the aesthetic beauty but if the sound doesn't match the looks, then I can't justify the cost.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 18
I've only used my D-303 via line out, other than just checking to see whether the headphone jack works. Know what you mean regarding PCDP versus full size players. I've got a fairly tight space restriction in my "man cave" listening area near my easy chair so I need some compact gear there. I'm REALLY eager to get my hands on the Shanling PCD3000a w/ upgraded op amps that I have on backorder: it's a half-width unit. I may only keep a few of the cooler Discmen if that lives up to expectations.

The D25S is a drop-dead gorgeous player and I had the opportunity to pick up one at an very reasonable price via a Second Chance offer so I jumped on it. I'll post once I received it and have given it a good workout.

I've been watching D-303s on Ebay and the prices have been a little lower recently for some reason: low enough that I picked up a second one with a better cosmetics for much less than my first one. Watch the ebb and flow of offered units to make sure you get a good price. Looks like a collector or two are getting rid of a lot of interesting players at the moment.

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 18
Rather undistinguished, but decent enough SQ, build quality on the plasticy side...not bad overall, just nothing exceptional. Haven't listened to the one I have all that much, but I prefer it over the D-171 in both SQ and aesthetics but definitely below the other Discman I own. I'd bet it's head and shoulders over the current crop of Sony PCDP in SQ, however. Does have a line out. Worth owning and listening to, but definitely lower-end vintage Discman, IMO. Enjoy it...any vintage Discman is cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back