Sony D-NE920 RMAA test results
Mar 7, 2005 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Zweroboi

100+ Head-Fier
Just tested my new Sony D-NE920 portable CD player using RightMark Audio Analyzer and my M-Audio Transit USB audio card. Here is what I've got:

Sony D-NE920 headphone out test results
Sony D-NE920 line out test results
Transit USB loopback test results (for reference)

In this PCDP headphone/line out shares the same jack socket, and the mode is selected from the player menu. The noticeable point is that the line out distorts BADLY...
confused.gif

I haven't yet played with this unit long enough to seriously judge on it's sound quality, but I can say it's quite enjoyable IMHO
blink.gif
eggosmile.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 11
Thanks for sharing the results of the new D-NE#20-series line (with digital amp)!

It seems that the digital amp(s) chosen for the new line are a sizable step downwards (sound-quality-wise) from the analog amps used in the D-NE#10 series line. The high treble is boosted on the Sony's digital amp - by as much as +3dB! Even Panasonic's digital amp doesn't boost the treble by that much, though it still suffers from a top-end boost.

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Here are the RMAA test results I've promised : )

Zveroboj, did you read my reply regarding the 920's vertical jog? Maybe your unit is faulty?
Is it the results, or is this player POOR? Headphone out - ever so slightly bloated bass (we'll forgive it for that really), but what's going on with the highs!? Shooting up like that after 10kHz... wow.
Lineout does look dodgy as well. Maybe it wasn't such a great idea after all to make all three outputs in one jack (there is an optical one there as well, isn't there?) There's a bit of a bass roll off as well... not good.

Mar 7, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Thanks for sharing the results of the new D-NE#20-series line (with digital amp)!

It seems that the digital amp(s) chosen for the new line are a sizable step downwards (sound-quality-wise) from the analog amps used in the D-NE10 series line. The high treble is boosted on the Sony's digital amp - by as much as +3dB! Even Panasonic's digital amp doesn't boost the treble by that much, though it still suffers from a top-end boost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijca
Zveroboj, did you read my reply regarding the 920's vertical jog? Maybe your unit is faulty?
Is it the results, or is this player POOR? Headphone out - ever so slightly bloated bass (we'll forgive it for that really), but what's going on with the highs!? Shooting up like that after 10kHz... wow.
Lineout does look dodgy as well. Maybe it wasn't such a great idea after all to make all three outputs in one jack (there is an optical one there as well, isn't there?) There's a bit of a bass roll off as well... not good.|

Yes, sure I've read your reply, Ubijza. I consider that slightly wobbly vertical jog lever doesn't affect sound quality
smily_headphones1.gif
It's unlikely that the unit is faulty, but it can be, anyway. It would be very interesting if you measured your player, Ubijca. It's fairly simple, given that you have a computer with a sound card (of any quality, but better with a flat 20-20 frequency response), mini-to-mini cable and a cd burner to make a test cd. There are some tricks, though, so if you go for it PM me and I'll share them with you
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, it really seems like it's something wrong with this unit's sound quality, and I wonder whether it's a "step downwards from the ... D-NE10 series line". Although I haven't got a chance to listen to (and measure) the D-NE10 series PCDP, I've almost justified myself to sell this player (I can't return it for refund because of local legislation features) and get some another one, possibly D-NE900. Do I understand correctly that D-NE900 player is the same as NE10, but with an LCD on the lid?

By the way, Alexei Nikitin has recently published results of his iPod 3G RMAA tests under various loads. They can be found at http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/Data/iPod_test2.htm.

Unfortunately I don't have dummy loads to test the player as if it was driving real headphones, so probably the headphone out tests should be considered rough and taken with a grain of salt
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 11
Zweroboi,
Maybe, having the expertise and the software
biggrin.gif
you can try to play with equalizer ajustments to make the phone out play flat and let us know the settings?
eggosmile.gif

Thanks in advance,
Andrei

Mar 8, 2005 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 11
Zweroboi

Quote:

I consider that slightly wobbly vertical jog lever doesn't affect sound quality It's unlikely that the unit is faulty, but it can be, anyway.

- Well... I thought of a russian proverb: "Беда одна не приходит" (Bad things do not come alone).
wink.gif
cool.gif

So the legislation is that even the player IS faulty (wobbly jog), you STILL can not return it?
eek.gif

Quote:

Do I understand correctly that D-NE900 player is the same as NE10, but with an LCD on the lid?

General opinion is such, yes. But remember that 10 line has another problem - white noise (hiss)... But I'm thinking along these lines too, although I would (will) probably go with the DNE10 - the cuulest looking modern PCDP IMO
smily_headphones1.gif
(especialy black).
Quote:

It would be very interesting if you measured your player, Ubijca

- Yeah, sure. The only thing is - I don't have a mini-mini cable. I'll have a look in the shops how much is it.

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 11
UPDATE:

I've bought a stereo Y-splitter and tested the player driving my Grados. I have previously noticed that it was driving these cans fairly well, and the measurements had only approved it! Look:

Sony D-NE920 headphone out driving Grado SR-80 (32 Ohm)
Sony D-NE920 headphone out w/ and w/o load comparison

Of course there is a considerable bass roll-off (which can't be cured properly neither by equaliser nor by "clearbass" feature), but the +3 dB peak at highs is gone!

What can I say, now I relax and stop trying to hear sound imperfections of this sexy UFO-like device! I find myself enjoying it more and more! BTW I haven't used portable gear on the go for years, and yesterday I had a long walk in the beautiful snowy forest near my home, listening to music (some disc by a great russian guitarist Yuri Naumov) and it really was like magic!..
rs1smile.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 11
Zweroboj,

I've sent you a PM a few days ago (saying that I do have the mini-mini cable and am able to do the test), but doesn't matter now- now I don't have the y-splitter to test it properly
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the results- they look rather similar to DEJ2000( perhaps slightly better in the treble), but DNE*10 line's results still look the best - no bass roll off for all resistance ranges with miniscule roll off for treble.
Heres a lin to Eagle_Driver's thread with RMAA for DEJ2000, iRiver and DNE*10: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=rmaa
So : Number 1 - DNE*10
2 - DNE*20
3 - DEJ2000 Yes?

PS Maybe you should remove your first post, because the bad word has already started to spread
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the updated test Zweroboi , I have had the D-NE920 for about 3 days now. Got a brand new par of Sony MDR-V6 phones last night and have really enjoyed what I've heard from the D-NE920 with the new phones. I feel that I have made a good purchase of CD player and quality portable cans.
k1000smile.gif

Makes me almost forget about the $85 I wasted on the awful Panasonic Shockwave SL-965 last December. What a POS that was! Ugh!

Regards,

Milan

Mar 11, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm very pleased with D-NE920 and enjoy it the more that I listen. The only thing that worries me is the fragility of the unit and the remote. Personally, I keep the D-NE920 in its carrying pouch and then put the pouch in my Case Logic thick nylon/polyester belt CD carrying pack. I've used this belt pack for 4 years and it has always kept my player secure.

While I plan to take great care of the unit & remote, I hope that the D-NE920 is much more durable than it looks.
confused.gif

I am considering buying the 2 year replacement warranty for $30, directly from Sony, sounds like a good deal to me.

Milan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back