Sony D-NE10 or Panasonic SL-CT-710 or iRiver IMP-400 or ?
Feb 20, 2005 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

jsc3

New Head-Fier
It seems that decent portable CD players are rare these days. Right now, based on extensive use of Google, I am considering the following choices:

Sony D-NE10
Sony D-NE900
Sony D-NE920

Based on feedback here - canned the Panasonics and the iRiver, and added Sony D-NE900 and D-NE920. I am leaning toward the D-NE920 right now...

My headphones are Sennheiser HD-590s and I have a (used) MisterX Portable Pimeta on the way. I have hundreds of CDs and I don't want to have to rip them to listen to them. I might get an iPod or something later, but right now I just want a really good portable CD player.

The Sony D-NE10 is pretty much the top of their line, and the online reviews I can find for it say it's good - no deal killers that I saw. However, the reviews I saw for other currently available Sony portable CD players are less than stellar, to say the least, so I wonder if this one really is that good?

The Sony D-NE900 seems to be sonically equivalent to the D-NE10 (based on specs) with a 4-line LCD display and controls right on the player (in addition to the remote), but it's a bit larger and heavier, and doesn't have a heat-resistant lid.

The Sony D-NE920 is the replacement for the D-NE900, and it has an upgraded display, and allegedly an improved digital amplifier (D-NE900 is analog?) and possibly an improved equalizer.

I didn't mention the Sony D-NE20 because it seems that it is similar to the D-NE10 (no display/controls on the player itself).

Are there any other good candidates out there that are currently available new from anywhere? I really want to keep it under $200, but for a truly spectacular performer I might go a bit higher.

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 29
I also just noticed there is a Panasonic SL-CT810. Besides optical out, which probably won't do me any good as I don't plan to carry a DAC with me, is there anything else which justifies the 50% price bump. Even a simple line-out for use with a portable headphone amp would be a plus.

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsc3
I also just noticed there is a Panasonic SL-CT810. Besides optical out, which probably won't do me any good as I don't plan to carry a DAC with me, is there anything else which justifies the 50% price bump. Even a simple line-out for use with a portable headphone amp would be a plus.

The US model panasonics don't have a line-out at all even though they say it does on the website.

Personally I'd get the Sony D-NE900 simply because it has a display on the unit itself.

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 29
OK, one vote for D-NE900 and it's a bit cheaper too. I had ruled it out before, I thought because of bad reviews somewhere, but now I can't find them so D-NE900 is on the table again.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 29
A couple of questions about the Sony D-NE10:

1) Does it have any sort of line-out or digital output? From a Google search for specs, I don't believe it does, but it's worth asking.

2) Sonically (or otherwise), why should I get the Sony D-NE10 instead of its lower priced sibling, the D-NE900? There has already been one post in favor of the D-NE900 because it has a display on the main unit, which I find to be a reasonable suggestion.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 29
The only differences I can see from looking at the specs online:

Sony D-NE10 advantages, in order of my perceived importance:

- Heat resistant top

- Very slightly smaller and lighter

- 2 position automatic volume limiter (not sure I care)

Sony D-NE900 advantages, in order of my perceived importance:

- Better user interface

- Cheaper

If the D-NE900 had a heat-resistant lid it would be a slam dunk, and I still think the D-NE900 has the advantage.

Can anybody tell me why the D-NE10 is better?

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 29
I own D-NE10 and have enjoyed it immensely and it has operated flawlessly thus the recommendation.

The D-NE900 wasn't a listed choice but it should perform well (if not identically) -- I just haven't used it. Styling-wise, I prefer the D-NE10's simplicity and somewhat smaller size.

The D-NE10 has optical, line out, and headphone out on single jack. Line out must be chosen via a menu option.

Paul

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
I own D-NE10 and have enjoyed it immensely and it has operated flawlessly thus the recommendation.

The D-NE900 wasn't a listed choice but it should perform well (if not identically) -- I just haven't used it. Styling-wise, I prefer the D-NE10's simplicity and somewhat smaller size.

The D-NE10 has optical, line out, and headphone out on single jack. Line out must be chosen via a menu option.

Paul

Thanks Paul, that is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I wasn't aware you could change the type of output signal coming from the jack. Looking online (and reading between the lines) it appears the D-NE900 can do this too, now that I understand how you can have headphone out, line out and digital out with only one jack. I have found so many wrong specs on online vendor web sites that I don't trust any of it without verification.

Feb 20, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 29
Do you have a D-NE920? I can't find much info on the web about this one. What I did find makes me wonder - how is it different from the D-NE900, except maybe for the "parametric equalizer"? I didn't find it on the Sony web site either, but I do find some info for both the D-NE920 and D-NE20 on the web. Are these perhaps the replacements for the D-NE10 and D-NE900 in the future.

As for the information I did find, the only difference I can see is reference to a "parametric equalizer" rather than the description of the equalizer on the D-NE10 and D-NE900, which is described as having three presets plus one user custom setting (presumably user adjustable).

Feb 20, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1980
What about the *20 series Sony PCDP's? I especially like the 920.

They aren't released in the US yet.

The one reason I like the D-NE900 over the 10 is that when using the optical out you can see the display (you have to take the remote off). Since I do a lot of optical use, that'd be rather annoying.

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 29
Yep, it is a replacement for the *10 series and has been released in the UK.

DNE920.jpg

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 29
That's a good point.

Too bad Sony didn't build a little "optical extender" into that remote.

The D-NE10 and most others in that model line offer the Parametric EQ. The lowest cost model might not but certainly two/three models down from the NE10 offer the Parametic EQ.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back