Sony D-NE10 first impression
Nov 29, 2011 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Snare

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

I'm new here and as I'm French I'd like you to forgive me in advance for all the mistakes that I'm going to do. lol, I feel like I already did at least 5!!

Since a few weeks, I felt the need of using a portable audio device at the faculty, I'm a student, because the jobs we have to achieve are very noisy. As I already own a Technics SL-XP170 PCDP, I used to use this one. But, without any antishock system, it was sometime hard to listen to entire songs.

Thats why I bought a Sony D-NE240 before I realized that a remote control would be very nice if not necessary in order to keep the PCDP away from the dust and other chemical products used in the lab.
I also noticed a noisy hiss which ended to be the only thing I could hear. :wink:

Thats why I began searching some informations on the net and I landed on this fantastic forum.
As I mostly listen to redbook CD's I didn't feel a real need for a MP3-able PCDP, even I find it to be a nice feature.
Thats why my first choices where the D-EJ985 and 2000.
Until I read some reviews and comments on the D-NE10 which I purchased on eBay.

I must admit that all comments where absolutley true about the sound quality, the nice design and the overall qualities of this amazing PCDP.

The sound, compared to the D-NE240, is just far far above in quality!! It's amazing how good this payer sounds.
By the way, I'm using Jays D-Jays headphones and the difference is very enormous.
The hiss which was covering every Vivaldi "song" has totaly disappeard, and I can hear things that I couldn't hear with the less high-end one like a drummer enganging the snares on rock albums, and other little stuff like that.

I don't talk about the Technics because it has never disappointed me in terms of sound quality. I would say that it is better than the D-NE240 (With the antischock set to OFF), but not as good as the D-NE10 (Antischock on position 1). But it doesn't have any of the other features that both of the others have.

The D-NE10 just blew me away the first time I used it, it was with the last album of the Foo Fighters: Waisting Light. Right now I'm listening to The Police and the effect is exactly the same: "Wow, this band sounds soooo good!!". ha ha ha.
It's just a blast!!

Actually I chose this one after having read here that is has an analog amp which, according to the reviewers, allows a better sound quality than a digital one. And I can only confirm this.

Having owned a MD player which dindn't last a long time despite good care, an MZR-900 by Sony, I knew how practical the remote control can be. And I'm happy to be able to control any fonction of my PCDP with a remote. This one is a more advanced modell than the one that came with my MD player. For the ones who want to know more about it, the D-NE10 comes with te RM-MC33EL remote while the MZR-900 came with the RM-MC11EL.
The newer one is very convenient to use, its stylish to and not as big as the one that controls the iRiver IMP-550 PCDP. I like it very much and the fact that you can switch the side of the clip is very nice.
Unfortunately, my remote lacks a row of "pixels" maybe due to a rough using by the previous owner or any accident a remote controler is exposed to.
Actually it isn't a big issue but I already purchased a new RM-MC33EL on eBay and I hope that this one wille be 100% ok.

I use a lot of AA rechargeable batteries and the AA holder is very nice and stays perfectly in place. And what I find really cool is that you can plug the AC adapter to it in order to recharge the gum-stick. And as I don't have the charging station, it's juste perfect!!

In my opinion, this player is just perfect. Even it won't reach a D-555 for the sound quality, the settings and many other things.
This Sony D-NE10, that I puchased on eBay and recieved yesterday, has already been used and here come my questions:

1/ How long can last such a PCDP? There are many mechanical parts which move a lot, a laser which has to be ON from the moment you press PLAY untill you press STOP, so what about the wearing of these parts?
The motor(s), the laser, ...., is it still possible to replace these parts nowadays?

2/What would you recommand me to do, or not to do, in order to allow me to enjoy this fantastic PCDP many years. I got my Technics in 1994 or 95 for Chistmas and it still work, but how about Sony?

Yes I want to be able tu use it until I get so old that I can't hear anything. It's a bit exagerated, but all I want now that I own one of these pure piece of perfection is to make it last while enjoying it 5/7 days, between 1 and 5 hours a day (I don't listen very loud thanks to the good noise reduction of my D-Jays).  .
Actually I had a bad experience with my MD-player from Sony which didn't work well anymore after a short time of using. I loved this perfect little player/recorder and that's why I'd like to avoid something like that to happen to this fantastic PCDP.

Thank you very much for your time, and in advance for your answers.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 4
I can't answer your NE-10 questions as I've not used nor seen one, but I may have a pristine D-555 for sale down the road.  I'm new to this forum and won't be able to post the item for another 30 days.  

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi mbhauzer,

Thx for having read my post. Actually I'd love to own a D-555 but I won't spend money for something that is going to stay unused at home because of my fear to brake it.
The overall quality of the D-NE10 is far enough for me, and it's little size and the remote control make it very convenient to use almost everyday at school.

Good luck for your D-555.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back