Sony D-NE1 vs iRiver 550?
May 8, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Digital optical/Line/Headphone out

the NE1 does have optical out
i THINK it'll be a combined out with the Line OUT and Headphone out (not 100% sure).. but thats most likely what will happen.
Like the Sony MD players (there is a menu option).
ERrr, most cd playres & mp3 cd players have had optical out. BUT, the cheap ones don't have 'optical out' capability in mp3 mode. Like for regular cds, they will have optical out. BUt in mp3 mode.. the optical out just stops working. I don't know whether this will be the case for the NE1 (in mp3 more or ATRAC3 / Atrac3+ mode)

derek

May 8, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #32 of 53
Sorry I didn't mean for my post to sound too technical, or
intimidating, but most MD users should know what I am talking
about.

Also there is debate about what type of Audio Source the new iRiver iMP-550 player's OPTICAL LINE OUT will be able to output: there has been some talk that the player will only be able to
output CD Playback Audio via the OPTICAL LINE OUT port of the
player (and not the MP3 playback audio.) I don't know why not,
but that is what I have heard. Also what about FM Tuner audio
output?

Well if anything you could always output all of the audio through the headphone jack to your portable headphone amps or whatever. Does anybody know of anything more on this subject?

Cause I am looking forward to the release of the iRiver iMP-550.
smily_headphones1.gif

I ... just ... need ... to ... wait ... a ... little ... bit ... longer.

Thanks!

May 8, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #33 of 53
Mmm. Most portable mp3/cd players haven't had optical out in mp3 mode. Even some DVD players (with mp3 capability) cant do this. I think its just copy right protection stuff. its not like its a technical impossibility.
Hmm, all of this stuff will output in the headphone / line out (so it can be run thru an amp).. That is a given.
Err, FM tuner audio? again, im not sure about that one.. sorry man.
i hope you end up finding what you are looking for.

derek

May 8, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by rblanco10
Also there is debate about what type of Audio Source the new iRiver iMP-550 player's OPTICAL LINE OUT will be able to output: there has been some talk that the player will only be able to
output CD Playback Audio via the OPTICAL LINE OUT port of the
player (and not the MP3 playback audio.) I don't know why not,
but that is what I have heard. Also what about FM Tuner audio
output?

If the iMP-550 is at all typical of CD/MP3 players that have an OPTICAL LINE OUT (which, by the way, is actually a combination optical out and analog out via the very same mini-jack), expect the OPTICAL LINE OUT to function in either optical or analog mode for Redbook CD playback - but only in analog mode for MP3 playback. This is due to RIAA-mandated copy protection schemes.

As for FM Tuner audio playback, the OPTICAL LINE OUT is disabled completely, since the tuner circuitry is in the remote control, and not in the PCDP's body. So, you'll hear FM Tuner audio only from the headphone out in the remote.

May 8, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Hmm, all of this stuff will output in the headphone / line out (so it can be run thru an amp).. That is a given.
Err, FM tuner audio? again, im not sure about that one.. sorry man.

Yeah the iRiver iMP-550 has the FM Tuner that the new Sony MP3/CD player doesn't have.

Yeah everything (CD, MP3, and whatever other music codec iRiver decides to support decoding, and the FM Tuner audio) should all be able to output audio through the headphone jack at the very
least with the new iRiver iMP-550 player. But it would be nice if it could output everything through the DIGITAL OPTICAL OUTPUT Line Out, and I think that is what we are all awaiting to see if the new iRiver iMP-550 can do it. That would definately put it ahead of the new Sony MP3/CP player. Just my opinion though.

Thanks Everybody!

May 8, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #36 of 53
Thanks Eagle_Driver & everybody , I understand now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

This is due to RIAA-mandated copy protection schemes.

*BLEAH!* I forgot about that.

Isn't the RIAA mandated copyright protection schemes only in the
USA? iRiver is making these things in China no?

Sony and RIAA work hand in hand
frown.gif

May 8, 2003 at 4:24 AM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Isn't the RIAA mandated copyright protection schemes only in the
USA? iRiver is making these things in China no?

Well, the iMP series may be made in China, but every consumer electronics maker must incorporate such copy-protection features in their units before they could be legitimately sold in the USA.

Quote:

Sony and RIAA work hand in hand
frown.gif

Not quite. Sony runs an electronics business AND a music business, and the interests of both divisions often come into conflict with one another. Sony Electronics must adhere to the same copy-protection rules - which were partially drafted by Sony Music - as every other consumer-electronics maker.

And, as I said earlier, the iMP-550 being an ultra-slim unit, there is no way whatsoever to incorporate tuner circuitry inside the main unit - so the tuner circuitry is built into the remote instead. There are two drawbacks to this design: First, that design means that there is no direct electronic connection between the tuner and the main unit, so that you'll hear FM audio only from the headphone jack on the remote - yet the tuner still draws its power from the batteries inside the main unit! Second, that design means that you MUST use the remote EVERY TIME you want to listen to FM stations.

May 8, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #38 of 53
Just bought a Sony D-NE1. Superb perfromance and sound quality(with ATRAC3PLus) made it a real steal. Ony hiccup is the headphone, so replace it with Sony MDR-EX71 SP Fontopoid earphone.

Awesome combination!!!

May 8, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by davenkoo
Just bought a Sony D-NE1. Superb perfromance and sound quality(with ATRAC3PLus)

Could someone give an objective evaluation for D-NE1 ? The quality of the built-in amp and sound compared to other models like Panasonic SL-CT 800. There's valuable information here.

This post seems too biased (ATRAC3Plus and superb sound quality at 64kbps?!)

May 8, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #40 of 53
im amazed at how there can be so much speculation over something that hasn't even been released yet.

$150? i highly doubt that. the 400 is still around $185, so it doesn't make much sense that its successor will be cheaper.

i posted a thread on this earlier, but people don't like doing searches so we get multiple threads on the same thing.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/nhj/422403/462287/477747/

pre-order it now; they claim to ship out may 12. with current conversion rates, it'll cost about $192 USD.

May 8, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by deejayshakur
im amazed at how there can be so much speculation over something that hasn't even been released yet.

$150? i highly doubt that. the 400 is still around $185, so it doesn't make much sense that its successor will be cheaper.

But it's not the 400's "successor" (that's probably the 500), it's a new product in the line-up with fewer features but newer design. That's what I read on this forum somewhere. I'll check again.

I've seen a $150 range price in a couple places -- I think from more links that I found on Head-Fi.

The import price isn't the same as NA pricing. Usually products released in foreign markets are a bit higher. A 199$ tag there could be a 150$ intro retail price here. I remember the PS2 was 50-100 more in Japan before it came out here.

I doubt it'll be more than $199 US. I think the 500 was supposed to be the more expensive model.

EDIT:

Here's something from one of the original threads:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=2

Quote:

MP3 CD
Doing what they can to stay on top of the MP3 market, in terms of straight performance if not sales, iRiver also announced the SlimX 550 (iMP-550). In terms of features it's very similar to the SlimX 400, the current flagship. It doesn't have quite as many goodies, and I think the skip protection is trimmed down, but for $149.95 it looks to be a serious contender. If you can believe it, the 550 is actually smaller than the 400. Barely wider than a CD and a scant 13 millimeters thin, the 550 closes in on the physical limit of portable CD players. The body itself has no controls and no LCD. Like its predecessor, the remote is necessary for operation. iRiver stuck with the gum stick rechargeable batteries and optional external battery pack. However, they managed to squeeze about 70 hours of operation from a fully loaded model.

May 8, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #42 of 53
I'm a big supporter of both Sony and Iriver CD players and I've had extensive experience with each. I find each do what they have experience with well. For CDMP3 players, I'd go with the imp-550. The only downside for the slimX is probably the slight hiss, which has already been dramatically reduced so I'm sure it will be much better in the 550.

The upside to the 550 which is MOST important in CD mp3 players is NAVIGATION. And Iriver has a great remote with great navigation.. probably second only to the TDK Mojo (low budget player). It allows u to navigate folders almost exactly like windows explorer. No matter how hard Sony tries, I doubt a tiny 2 line remote could duplicate the navigation of Iriver.

May 9, 2003 at 3:34 PM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by deejayshakur
by "successor" i meant that the 550 is taking over the 400's flagship position. but yeah, we'll see what the price is once its out. im sure you guys are all looking forward to it as much as i am.

I think the 500 is taking over that spot, if the 400 even relinquishes it. The 500 seems to have been eclipsed by the 550 among web/forum hype-mongers, so I wonder if they'll even release it here.

I'm definitely looking forward to the 550. I'm scouring the web all the time to catch the first reviews. If you see any, be sure to let us know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers.

Oh -- So: Black or Silver?
wink.gif
I haven't decided myself, but I'm leaning towards the silver.

May 10, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Arkham
Oh -- So: Black or Silver?
wink.gif
I haven't decided myself, but I'm leaning towards the silver.

Same here, I'm having trouble deciding.. I don't think I'll find an answer before it comes out
tongue.gif

One day I think black, other day silver..

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back