Sony D-J50
Sep 14, 2002 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gryphon

tongue.gif
Wow just got myself a brand new Sony D-J50 with the box and all the accessories at a great price.

I would say the sound quality is top notch. It simply beats the sound quality from the headphone out of both the Panasonic 570 and the Sony 465 that I had.

I am simply hearing so much more details than I could with the D-J50 and its so thin and beautiful.

It is still being run-in at the moment. This is the first high end vintage cd player I ever had. I was wondering how it would compare to the sound quality of other vintages like the D555, D515 and D303. Anyone ever done that before?

Hmm....if I were to persevere in my search......if and only if I could find a D515, D303 and D555.....all brand new.....
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 14
Hi,
Congratulations on your purchase. Just wondering where and how much did you pay for the d-j50. I don't know if the unit itself is slimmer than my panasonic sl-s700. My D-E905 is a bit thicker than my SL-S700. Does d-j50 equips with LCD on the unit, line out, and mega bass? thanks.

purk

Sep 14, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 14
Hi Gryphon

Congragulations on your find! And to get it brand new with all the accessories. Very cool! I've looking for this player for awhile, but with no luck.

by the way, what kind of batteries does the player use?

Sep 14, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Hi,
Congratulations on your purchase. Just wondering where and how much did you pay for the d-j50. I don't know if the unit itself is slimmer than my panasonic sl-s700. My D-E905 is a bit thicker than my SL-S700. Does d-j50 equips with LCD on the unit, line out, and mega bass? thanks.

purk

Hi purk,

Thanks

I bought it for about US$80. It is infact just slightly slimmer than my panasonic 570 but very much heavier about 350 grams with the rechargable batteries. Its thickness is approximately 15mm. The LCD is on the top face, it has line out but there is no....totally no mega bass and dsp.

It states here that the headphone out is 5mW + 5mW at 16ohms but driving my senn 497 I cannot raise the volume to more than 4....its just too loud. I think its more to be like a 15mW.

Sep 14, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim
Hi Gryphon

Congragulations on your find! And to get it brand new with all the accessories. Very cool! I've looking for this player for awhile, but with no luck.

by the way, what kind of batteries does the player use?

Hi Tim,

Thanks. I purchase it in one of the local shops in Singapore. I have in fact seen another one also locally but the price is just way too high(brand new also), selling for about US$300.

It comes supplied with 2 kinds of batteries. The rechargable battery pack BP-4(supposed to last only 1.5hrs and charging take 5 hours) and a battery case which accepts 2 AA size batteries(lasting bout 2.5hrs).

Sep 15, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 14
Hi,
I got this player, sounds very nice but doesn't reach level of D-25, D-555 and my new toy
biggrin.gif
Denon DCP-150, by the way DCP-150 smash them all!
I bought D-J50 two months ago from ebay for $20
wink.gif

but the problem is I got this unit only with AC power supply.
I will appreciate if anyone can list standard and optional accessories for this player.
I use to use it a lot with IR remote but without portable battery compartment is not as easy as my others players. I built 6V battery pack for this unit (4xAAsize) and actually I run it using NI-MH batteries.
The thickness of this unit is 14.8mm, thinnest ever made.
DAC is by BB, PCM66 and this is responsible for D-J50 nice and smooth sound.

Sep 15, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 14
Martioz,
Quote:

Denon DCP-150, by the way DCP-150 smash them all

Emmm?? in what aspect? Sound? I know that Denon is one the most accurate sounding Discman ever made. I use to have the DCP-70 or something...

Purk

Sep 15, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 14
Wow.....$20 dollars...thats really
cool.gif

Supplied Accessories
-Rechargable battery pack
-Battery case
-Carrying case
-Connecting cord
-Car Mount Adapter
-Stereo Headphone
-AC power adapter

Accessories not supplied
-Wireless remote control unit RM-DM5K
-Wired remote control unit RM-DM2
-Car connecting pack CPA-2
-Mount plate CPM-200P/203P
-Plate arm CPM-200A
-Car mount arm CPM-200PK/203PK
-Active speaker SRS-57
-Rechargable battery pack BP-4

hmm.....I would not really want to go for a D25 though probably I prefer a smoother sounding discman
smily_headphones1.gif
. I would more likely hunt for D303 and D515.......

Sep 15, 2002 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 14
Gryphon,
D-303 and D-515 are excellent choice for excellent sounding discman. How about the D-555, the king of all discman? You should check it out.

PUrk

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 14
Oh yeah.....of course not forgetting the king of discmans.....D555

Well, I think I got a long way to go.......being not into discmans for long.......and always shopping for discmans.....feels kinda funny going into shops with all the latest models on display and asking for models that are 10 yrs old......

I was just thinking.....if the discmans could last another 10 years....would it appreciate in value
biggrin.gif

BTW.....I really could not go past the 3 on my DJ-50.......would getting a more difficult to drive headphone make a better synergy......
confused.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Gryphon,
How about the D-555, the king of all discman? You should check it out.

PUrk

The king?
Sorry folks IMO not anymore... DCP-150 "The King"
- sound quality, mmmm....
- built quality, certified for space flights!
- remote with all features, like home CD unit

The D-555 remains my no 2 or 3, depends...
But UV display and surround processor let me think that D-555 is the numero uno in "The feature No competition".

gryphon

Your location is perfect for this kind of shopping, cheap electronics supplied to Asia and west world...
Bluetin...

Get yourself D-555, D-515 or D-303 with good pair of cans and amp, trust me
wink.gif

Thanks for your info about D-J50,
Can you provide the part No for the battery case for D-J50?

Sep 16, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 14
Martioz,
Can you tell me why the Denon is the King, rather than just say "it is." How about the built quality on the Denon? My Denon DCP-70 was also top of the line, and not that all good looking as of being very thick. From my experience with the Denon, it is a very accurate sounding PCDP. By the way, did u get a chance to try out the D-515? How about the D-E905? What is so great about the Denon, I did have one....but honestly, I don't think it was that impressive. My model has Bassboost, line out, and optical line out. Oh, how about the Optimus CD-3400? Your collection should be better than mine now, but to my ears...D-515 is my favorite. Please, share your thought with us. You also have the Onkyo player...why not tell us about it. Thanks for sharing the info.
IMHO, The Sony D-555 is the king of discman b/c its superb built quality, DSP, backlit discplay, price, super wide sound stage and its beautiful sounding line out. It is not No. 1 in every single category, but still it is pretty darn close in every category. If it equips with some sort of Anti-shock protection, it will definitly be No. 1 on my list.

Purk
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back