Sony D-FJ75TR
Jan 29, 2003 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xander

The XanMan is back!
Does anyone have any experience, comments, or anything about this PCDP? I'm in need of a new PCDP with a remote, this one seems to fit well. I have no way of listening to it or seeing how the build quality is, however.

Jan 29, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 8
I can't comment on the Sony D-FJ75TR, but the things I would look for in pcdp: Does it have a lineout? Can the anti-skip be 'defeated'? Those two features, seems to be more and more difficult to come by.

Jan 29, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 8
What are you going to use it for? Does it really need to be “portable”, or are you looking for a “transportable” unit? If transportable is what you’re looking for, that opens up a pretty big window of opportunities to get a very nice sounding CD player. :)

The new Sonys still often feature line outs that sound pretty good, but have ****ty headphone jacks, and the Panasonic CT570 has an uncompressed antiskip that therefore doesn’t affect sound quality, and has a pretty good line out and headphone out. Still I find my Sony D-35 to have a much more detailed, full sounding line out. It has NO antiskip or battery life, so again, for real “portable” use, you’ll be limited to worse-sounding players.

Jan 29, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 8
It has to be portable, though mostly im just going to need something transportable. I need illuminated displays (I listen in the dark a lot.) This player DOES have opticle out, so even if I wanted to use an external DAC, or plug it into a recording deck, or a home system, it would work well. Didnt check for line out, don't really need it (not using this thing with beefy headphones that require power.)

I'm also a whore, and like things that look sexy.. This one appears attractive to me. Especially since the LCDs are backlit a nice bluish purple color....

I can't have the thing skipping if I'm in the car, and I probably wont notice the artifacts of the G-Protection compression algorithm. I have a discearning ear, but I doubt I could tell if G-protection was on or completely disabled in a blind test.

A decent headphone out with SOME sound quality is a must, though, which was my main concearn with this unit.

Any other suggestions? Or even a recommendation of something similar that you know sounds decent?

Jan 29, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Hmm... well keep in mind that (afaik) all of Sony's recent PCDP offerings have very ****ty headphone outputs. I tried a DE-J725 for a while. Yucky.

I'm pretty sure the player you're looking at DOES have a line out though, since most Sony players have optical outs that double as a line out.

Jan 30, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 8
I had the above player for 6 months. The tuner part was really good, both on AM & FM but the CD part was horrible. Really bad build quality, especially the lid.

Jan 30, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 8
I agree wholeheartedly with the increasingly crappy build quality of recent PCDPs. The D-FJ75TR was an older model based on the D-EJ711/D-EJ715 - and as such has an optical/line-out combo, all-plastic construction, and is powered by two AA batteries (but cannot accept Sony's external battery case that comes with the higher-end Sonys).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back