Sony D-EJ120 $29 - not bad...
post-1392716
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 16

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
4,234
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Posts
4,234
Likes
13
Just picked up a new Sony D-EJ120 pcdp at Best Buy yesterday for $29 (they usually sell for around $38-40). It's a basic, no-frills, redbook only pcdp with no line out, not even a parametric EQ like some of the D-NExx series (but then again, the cheapest in that series is about $60).

For someone not needing MP3-cd playback capabilities (that would be me, since most of my encoded music uses AAC), just a decent, cheap pcdp to use with moderately efficient cans, it's a great choice for the price of a couple cd's ($29). It runs for 50 hours on 2 alkaline AA's (so, around 25 hours on 2 rechargeable AA's). I've been using it with my HD280's and KSC-75's, and have been quite happy so far. It even sounds ok with the Beyer DT770-80's (although it needs to be around 7 or so on the volume to get a decent rockin' volume). It doesn't really need any bass boost or EQ'ing (and the bass boost is waaaay overdone anway).

It's nice to know you can get something that sounds decent unamped, has good battery life and is dirt cheap. Even looks pretty nice (see attached pic). I like the idea that I don't have to run an IC to an amp, and use expensive headphones to get a good sound for those times when I just want to plug in and rock out.

Anyway, just thought I'd put it out there for all you budget head-fiers.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1393220
Post #2 of 16

Damage

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 12, 2003
Messages
274
Reaction score
21
Joined
Jun 12, 2003
Posts
274
Likes
21
On a related note:
D-EJ001, courtesy of Walmart. It looks like it's a Walmart Special. Anyone give these a whirl? They look nice and white...
 
     Share This Post       
post-1393295
Post #3 of 16

gshan

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
3,667
Reaction score
10
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
3,667
Likes
10
With the flood and popularity of flash/hd mp3 players in the recent years, the prices on these cd players have been going lower and lower. Kudos to Sony on keeping the designs on their entry-level lines pretty expensive looking.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1393357
Post #4 of 16

D-EJ915

He...or is it she...is a......Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 13, 2003
Messages
8,470
Reaction score
10
Joined
Feb 13, 2003
Posts
8,470
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
On a related note:
D-EJ001, courtesy of Walmart. It looks like it's a Walmart Special. Anyone give these a whirl? They look nice and white...



WHOA!, that cd player actually looks sweet...too bad it's battery life is just beyond pathetic, my 2000 gets over twice that with 1/4 the battery (1.2V 1400mAH vs 3V 2800mAH). That's just pathetic!!

I think it's funny how they say it has "2 position AVLS" when really, it's either on or off, that's not really two positions...
 
     Share This Post       
post-1393511
Post #5 of 16

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
4,234
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Posts
4,234
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
WHOA!, that cd player actually looks sweet...too bad it's battery life is just beyond pathetic, my 2000 gets over twice that with 1/4 the battery (1.2V 1400mAH vs 3V 2800mAH). That's just pathetic!!

I think it's funny how they say it has "2 position AVLS" when really, it's either on or off, that's not really two positions...



I've seen that one at Best Buy and Walmart, but like you said, the battery life is pretty terrible (11-12 hours versus around 50 for the D-EJ120). That was the main reason I got the EJ120 over the EJ001.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1394962
Post #6 of 16

South_Korean

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
1,040
Reaction score
10
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Posts
1,040
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
On a related note:
D-EJ001, courtesy of Walmart. It looks like it's a Walmart Special. Anyone give these a whirl? They look nice and white...




is that a little LCD screen on the front bottom?????
 
     Share This Post       
post-1395118
Post #7 of 16

Damage

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 12, 2003
Messages
274
Reaction score
21
Joined
Jun 12, 2003
Posts
274
Likes
21
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
is that a little LCD screen on the front bottom?????


Yep.

I wonder if these are older PCDPs in a new clothing? They're also now available in Circuit City as well.

Anyone want to bite?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1401995
Post #8 of 16

Omari149

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
296
Reaction score
10
Joined
May 8, 2004
Posts
296
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
Yep.

I wonder if these are older PCDPs in a new clothing? They're also now available in Circuit City as well.

Anyone want to bite?



Do, you think it's louder since it has lower battery life?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1402619
Post #9 of 16

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
12
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Posts
2,955
Likes
12
Damn that low battery life brings back memories.
!
 
     Share This Post       
post-1402866
Post #10 of 16

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Messages
6,447
Reaction score
25
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
6,447
Likes
25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omari149
Do, you think it's louder since it has lower battery life?


I doubt it. It may have the same weak 5mW + 5mW headphone out, but use a far less efficient spindle motor which spins at or near top speed all the time.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1403455
Post #11 of 16

Omari149

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
296
Reaction score
10
Joined
May 8, 2004
Posts
296
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
I doubt it. It may have the same weak 5mW + 5mW headphone out, but use a far less efficient spindle motor which spins at or near top speed all the time.


As soon as I sell one of my Discmans I'm going out to Circuit City to buy some headphones if they don't have the headphones I'm looking for, then I will buy the D-EJ001 and tell ya what's up with the short battery life.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1403684
Post #12 of 16

Damage

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 12, 2003
Messages
274
Reaction score
21
Joined
Jun 12, 2003
Posts
274
Likes
21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
I doubt it. It may have the same weak 5mW + 5mW headphone out, but use a far less efficient spindle motor which spins at or near top speed all the time.


Specs for D-EJ001

Hmm, nothing listed for Amp specs. It is entirely possible that this unit may not be using a 5+5mW amp after all, or is using 5+5 with very inefficient motor.

Either way, this is interesting.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1446848
Post #13 of 16

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Messages
6,447
Reaction score
25
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
6,447
Likes
25
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I've seen that one at Best Buy and Walmart, but like you said, the battery life is pretty terrible (11-12 hours versus around 50 for the D-EJ120). That was the main reason I got the EJ120 over the EJ001.


Actually, the package said 16 hours with G-Protection turned on. (11 hours with G-Protection turned off.)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
It is entirely possible that this unit may not be using a 5+5mW amp after all, or is using 5+5 with very inefficient motor.

Either way, this is interesting.



I found something out today, after picking up a white D-EJ001 at Best Buy. (Best Buy no longer carries the D-EJ120.) I compared it to my D-NE300 from last year (which I have already known to have a relatively meager 5+5mW amp).

The result? I am suspecting the D-EJ001 to be using a ~15+15mW amp: Although the volume controls on both the D-EJ001 and the D-NE300 have practically equal amounts of gain, the D-NE300's amp began clipping above 26/30 while the D-EJ001 can be turned up all the way to maximum without appreciable clipping.

What's more with the D-EJ001, the translucent lid lets you see your CD spin inside the unit! With G-Protection turned on, the CD will spin for about 1 minute, then slow down and stop spinning for about 40~45 seconds before spinning up again. With G-Protection turned off, the CD is spinning constantly, without slowing down or stopping at all besides the usual slowdown as the laser moves towards the edge of the CD. Isn't that cool or what?


Best of all, the D-EJ001 costs just $29.99 at retail. (The D-FJ003, which sells for $39.99 at retail, has a built-in AM/FM radio.)

When I operated the D-EJ001, the battery indicator bar went down a notch after a little over an hour of play. That is an indication that the battery life will not be as long as that of most recent Sony PCDPs. If it lasts through a few days of my typical use, then even that short battery life would be considered perfectly adequate.

The sound quality of the D-EJ001 is more than adequate for most people. Of course, the headphones that you plug into the D-EJ001 will pretty much dictate the sound coming out of the *very* inexpensive unit. (The D-EJ001 comes with earclip-type earbuds which swivel to better fit the ears - but the buds' sound quality leaves a lot to be desired even for stock cheapies.) And, as usual, the Digital Mega Bass feature leaves plenty to be desired.

Hope you enjoyed my mini-review of the D-EJ001.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1447014
Post #14 of 16

hottyson

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 8, 2003
Messages
1,085
Reaction score
30
Joined
Oct 8, 2003
Posts
1,085
Likes
30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
With G-Protection turned on, the CD will spin for about 1 minute, then slow down and stop spinning for about 40~45 seconds before spinning up again. With G-Protection turned off, the CD is spinning constantly, without slowing down or stopping at all besides the usual slowdown as the laser moves towards the edge of the CD. Isn't that cool or what?



Exactly,
The very cool thing about the Sony D-EJ120 spinning its motor only for a moment is so that it can load the music into memory. Thus, it will not skip and batteries last for fricken ever.

I have the Sony D-EJ120. It looks very nice but it does not sound all that spectacular. My old Sony Discman D-E805 sounds better from the headphone jacks. Utilizing the headphone-out is the only option with the Sony D-EJ120 since it lacks a lineout and SPDIF-out.

However……
Like you said, the Sony D-EJ120 costs very little so I don’t mind if I ever loose it, it gets stolen, or it gets broken. Nice little cheap portable for activities like running, skiing etc...
hottyson
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top