Sony D-EJ1000 / Panasonic CT-780S
Feb 2, 2002 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
I just thought i'd post a mini-review after hearing these units today
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't believe how small the D-EJ1000 player is... a LOT smaller than my D777, and also smaller than the Panasonic CT-780 (also demoed)

Soundwise, my list of favourites is D777 -> EJ1000 -> CT780

The D777 has cult status, so nothing more needs to be said, the D-EJ1000 sounded VERY similar to the D777, but didn't have half the power... I was struggling to hear the detail compared to how it greets you head on with the D777, but that was purely a volume issue... saying that, the unit held up VERY well at top volume, didn't distort at all, unlike my somewhat useless DE-J825!!

Comparing the two Sonys to the Panasonic, I really do think that this player is over-rated (unless i've just got Sony ears
rolleyes.gif
) The bass was hideously overbearing, and the dynamics seemed very crushed... remind me never to try Panasonic ever again!!

I only had a quick 5 minute audition, so i'm sorry that things are so vague, but i thought i'd share my brief experience with you!!

Oh, and a word from the wise (although I didn't hear this for myself) If you are after maximum sound per pound value, DO NOT get the D-EJ1000, get the D-EJ955 instead, the circuitry is supposedly identical, it is just that the housing of the '955 is plastic, whereas the '1000s is made of magnesium alloy!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 40
Newbie Here!!
I have been lurking here for months, and made a couple of good purchases as a result (Sennheiser HD-580 and Sony EX-70SL).

Duncan, does the Sony D-EJ1000 have a Magnesium "bottom", or is it plastic?

I have asked many online retailers this, but I can't get a straight answer.

Also, is the unit made in Japan or Malaysia?
Sony's own web site says it's made in Japan, others have said Malaysia.....?

Looking forward to hearing!!

Feb 3, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 40
EJ-1000 have a Mag Alloy top but Plastic bottom. Similar to that of the higher end models of Panasonic. And yes its MADE IN JAPAN.
I just bought a Pana CT-790 yesterday.
So that makes me with 2 top Pana Players.

Feb 3, 2002 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 40
I'm not going to disagree with you anders, because I don't know what experience you have had with the EJ1000, but when the person at the shop was telling me about it, he said that the whole shell was made of magnesium alloy, and tapped it top and bottom to prove so, and... both top and bottom sounded the same?!

and.. Yes, the unit IS made in Japan
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2002 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I'm not going to disagree with you anders, because I don't know what experience you have had with the EJ1000, but when the person at the shop was telling me about it, he said that the whole shell was made of magnesium alloy, and tapped it top and bottom to prove so, and... both top and bottom sounded the same?!

and.. Yes, the unit IS made in Japan
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe i wasn't noticing the Sony enough.
If you guys have any question about the Pana CT790 than ask away. I have it for a few days before i give it away.

Feb 3, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 40
OK, the D-EJ1000 sounds interesting.

I am trying to decide between the D-EJ01 and the D-EJ1000.

I have a 'thing' for all-metal cases on my portable gear (used to own a Sony WM 701C cassette walkman, all aluminium casework....beautiful!)

So, if someone can double-check if the case IS all magnesium, it will help my decision, as the '1000 is considerably cheaper than the D-EJ01!!

Made In Japan, good too!!

....just....can't......stand....PLASTIC.....must.. ..have.....METAL!!

Feb 3, 2002 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 40
On the Sony models that have a "J" in there model number. Does that mean it is the Japanese market version? If so, will the chargers work in the US? I've seen a bunch of nice "J" models on eBay.

Lextek
rolleyes.gif

Feb 3, 2002 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 40
I can't say for sure if my Japanese D-EJ1000 is all magnesium or not, but my guess is yes. The finish is slightly different from top to bottom, but they sound very similar if tapped, and the biggest thing that makes me think they are both the same material, is that the top magnesium cover scratches very easily (tiny surface scratches, not deep at all) even the remote will put small scratches on it, and the bottom has similar little scratches, and the plastic Sony PCDP's don't scratch this easily.

Oh, and BTW Anders, my D-EJ1000 which was imported from Japan, says "Made in Malaysia" on it, not made in Japan. My MZ-R909 MD player which is a Japan-only unit still, and which was shipped over at about the same time was made in Japan, however. I frankly don't care if it was made in Malaysia, Japan, Mexico, Korea, Siberia, or West Virginia if the build quality and sound quality are good, and they are on my D-EJ1000.

-Keith

Feb 3, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 40
Well, I just checked again, and on both the D-EJ1000 itself and on the outside of the box it came in, it (still) says "Made in Malaysia". I guess if having one made in Japan is really important, you'd better not buy it online, and open the box of the one you buy in a store to make sure it says "Made in Japan". If you don't believe me, I guess I could scan the bottom of the box in and email it to you or post it here. Then again, if you don't believe me, you'll probably think I doctored the pic somehow.

-Keith

Feb 4, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 40
Just a quick question - is this review pertaining to the headphone outs only or the line-outs also? I sure hope the panasonic line-outs are still worthy of purchase, because the sonys seem to be a lot more expensive. I don't care at all about the headphone outputs of these things, which makes certain comparisons (like this one) awfully confusing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back