sony d-ej1000 BIG PICS
Jul 8, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #16 of 22
oh just noticed them now...

btw side note: just dropped my d-ej1000. Just to let ppl know, the magnesium lid isnt very scratch resistant. I dropped it against drywall, and now the edge of the magnesium lid is a little scratched up. I just hope that in the future i dont drop it so a BIG scratch ends up right in the center
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 22
Hey, why is it that your Canadian one came in a box, while the US ones they sell at the local Fry's and Best Buy come in plastic packages that you would normally find lower models in?

Is it worth $200 USD?

Jul 8, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by impoeticpoet
Hey, why is it that your Canadian one came in a box, while the US ones they sell at the local Fry's and Best Buy come in plastic packages that you would normally find lower models in?

Is it worth $200 USD?

The UK models come boxed up too...

as to whether its worth $200 to you, if you want awesome battery life, and a pretty darn good line out... then, yes ~ whereas, if you don't mind charging up your player every other day, and you do most of your listening through the headphone out, with earbuds... i'd personally be not too sure

Jul 8, 2002 at 5:20 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

i noticed this about md players as well. All around the world md players come in boxes, but in the US some come in those clear plastic packages.

I really dont know why they do this. I think you get more protection in shipment with cardboard boxes. I suspect they do this in the US so that its easy to see the actual player. I think americans have this thing about seeing the exact unit they are going to buy, and probing it for defects before purchase.

Jul 8, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #20 of 22
I don't think you can probe defects on something packaged in those plastic packages before you can buy the unit; those U.S.-market plastic packages must be cut open. And I think the decision of the U.S. distributors of portable electronics to package them this way is due to the fact that most of the portables that have been sold were purchased at mass-market superstores, most of which have no demo units at all whatsoever (you either take it or leave it).

Jul 8, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #21 of 22
thats what i mean. Americans like to look at what they're buying before they get it. Hence the clear plastic packages instead of the boxes.

What i meant by probing for defects was not exactly opening it up and inspecting it, but instead just looking over the unit in the package and make sure it has no visual blemishes. Americans do like to see that what they are buying looks perfect.

And i do know what you mean about opening those plastic packages. Man are they ever hard to open.

Jul 8, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #22 of 22
...or, it could be to cut shipping costs...

which takes up more cargo container space? - a box, or a flat pack item? - and America has gotta be the biggest importer of all things Sony??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back