SONY d-e905 and the etymotic er4s.
Sep 2, 2003 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Guest5

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys.

Some of you probably already know that I wanna buy the SONY d-e905 pcdp, the seller just anounced me and he is ready to sell it to me.
The problem is that I am afraid I can't use the etys with it because of the remote.
I know I need an adaptor like this one but I don't kinda want to listen to such combo with the etys.... through the remote and adaptor cause it can ruin the sound a bit if the adaptor is cheap made. And I can't find one, from amazon I can't order, I'll try from ebay.

My thoughts where if there is a way to plug the etys in the proper HP jack and the remote through an adapter that frees the HP jack and plugs in the remote jack, or the d-e905 doesn't have a hp jack as other pcdps?

Here is the pic of the adapter, it seems gold plated.

pc-mp1s.jpg

If I can't find an adapter I will not buy the sony d-e905. I can say that the player looks very good probably the sound is much better.

And a question more, Will it be okay for the d-e905 to drive good the er4s? or it is better to stay with er4p, and er4s with an amp?

Sep 2, 2003 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 29
I use my ER 4S with my D-777 without a problem.
The Sony part you are looking for is the PC-MP1S, I got mine from here.
Hope this helps!

Sep 2, 2003 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 29
thanks, Mat Bon 0013 but I live in Russia and will be hard to order one from there.

Does it need to be a SONY adaptor really like that one or it will be okay with another adaptor like ... jack----> mini jack?

I found one it sais like this.
Bandridge AL332 Professional adaptor --- Jack[stereoFemale]-miniJack[stereoMale]----0.2meter. It is that what I need? or the remote of d-e905 is for another and only adaptor, Sony brand PC-MP1S? I think it should be a standart.

Edited:
I guess I need an adaptor like... mini jack --- mini-mini jack, and I can't find one.

Sep 2, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Guest5
thanks, Mat Bon 0013 but I live in Russia and will be hard to order one from there.

Does it need to be a SONY adaptor really like that one or it will be okay with another adaptor like ... jack----> mini jack?

I found one it sais like this.
Bandridge AL332 Professional adaptor --- Jack[stereoFemale]-miniJack[stereoMale]----0.2meter. It is that what I need? or the remote of d-e905 is for another and only adaptor, Sony brand PC-MP1S? I think it should be a standart.

Edited:
I guess I need an adaptor like... mini jack --- mini-mini jack, and I can't find one.

Any adaptors with plugs identical to the Sony one should work fine with the remote of E905

Sep 2, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 29
Guest5, you can also do without the adapter but you will have to switch (plug/unplug) the remote and headphones accordingly. Which is a bit of a hassle really.
I'm sorry I can't help any further!
Regards, Mat

ps. alternatively you can possibly get the Sony PC-MP1S here or even www.audiocubes.com so long as you're prepared to put up with the costs involved.

Sep 2, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 29
Hi, Mat Bon 0013.
You mean each time after I work with the remote I have to unplug it and plug the phones to listen to the song right? then if I want to handle the remote again a bit I have to do it again... unplug the phones and plug the rempote? I think the etys do not kinda deserve this...
I want the etys and the remote to work at the same time... and quite never to unplug any of them.

www.audiocubes.com, it's really what I need in case I can't find one here at the arrival of my d-e905. I can order the adaptor through EMS as it is cheaper than UPS and a day or 2 doesn't count.

Thanks, Mat, Silver and all.

And if you feel you wanna sugest me some more I should know I'll be greatful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 29
Oh, and if you look closer it seems that this mini mini plug is not an ordinary one, like on the cell phones and the 2,5 mm ones I saw in other places.
What can you say? ... is it a SONY kind of plug or I'm not geting something?

f_sony_pcmp1s.jpg

Sep 2, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 29
it's called a "micro" plug, and was sony's failed attempt to keep people from buying other companies headphones, but was an utter failure, so they got rid of it, but they still sell the Micro-Mini (pictured) and Mini-Micro adapters for those who never bothered to upgrade their 'phones..., which I have no idea why you would spend $350 on a pcdp and use $5 earbuds...
600smile.gif

Sep 3, 2003 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 29
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know that.

I bought it. Here is how it looks. the seller said it's almost like new, I bought it, didn't bid at all cause the auction is closing on 27 sept, somenoe could outbid me or buy the player, and I would be very unhappy about that. You think in this condition It costs $105 ? I think definetely yes.

24_20020805105842.ujpg

And can you tell me how it will sound like... is it Good or is it very good, or maby GREAT!? Someone please who listened to it with the Etys er4s? Please say it's something you have to hear in order to believe you ears because it gets me excited and I like it, it helps me believing that it's that kind of player(a good sounding one) I always wanted but never got it, now I almost have it. And I even didn't listen yet to the Etys er4 just out of anything.

I have a panasonic SL-CT790 and porta pro and the sound is Good... though there's too much bass and the mids are not many there so it's not as musical as I want, will the etys and d-e905 make me jump out of my socks of the amazement?
And I will read your reviews and opinions about this player now as I bought it, I've read Duncan's review and I liked it, it HAS to be a very GOOD sounding CD player. It's a SONY anyway.

Sep 3, 2003 at 2:21 PM Post #10 of 29
I saw the rewind and forward buttons on d-e905 itself, and volume control...
So can I use the player without the remote? I mean can I turn it on, select songs, stop it... ??? Can the player work without problems without the remote?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 29
Yes you can but you won't get the track info heads up (you only get from the remote). Also to activate the Bass Boost only thruoght he remote too
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 7:43 AM Post #14 of 29
The track info.... it's not vital important is it?
wink.gif

I thought maby instead of buying the adaptor for $24 I maby could buy a total airhead and use The Etymotics with the line out... and the remote will work fine.

I am wondering about the sound of the total airhead, will the sound be much better through the total airhead? I know the line out of the d-e905 is Great but what about the amp itself? Is it worth $170 ? You said the Etys er4 are very revealing so it would be very bad if the amp has a hiss. Is it accurate and clean... ? I will buy later the PDAC but it's not portable.

Sep 8, 2003 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 29
Apparently the headphone out of the 905 is quite excellent, therefore giving the player the advantage of not having to *require* a dedicated amp (such as the airhead).

Having said that, my experience with the 905 style remote (D-777 has identical remote system) AND also using Sony's micro-mini adapter for my phones was that you do lose a *little* detail in the sound. Which is not really surprising, since the signal from the HP out has to go through several more connections until the actual phones - namely the remote and the adapter.

The slight loss in detail is noticeable to me, but realistically I am not missing that extra detail in the typical environments of my usages- like using it on the train, in studios, walking around, etc. Granted, YMMV since your etys are very isolating phones compared to my SR60s... obviously
evil_smiley.gif

And it also boils down to how badly you need to use the remote/display. For me, it's quite manageable without it, since I don't really use the functions like 'shuffle', 'repeat' and 'program'. Again, YMMV.

Why don't you try just the 905 with the etys for a while, and if you're unsatisfied with the sound, try the airhead. I hear that Headroom has a pretty decent refund policy(?).

Good luck!
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back