sony D-E301
Jun 30, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 4
I have one and its "okay". It does have a line out, though. The headphone out drives my Eggos and PortaPros with no problems but the mids and highs aren't squeaky clean. Couldn't tell with my ProtaPros but its apparent with my Eggos.

Right now I am using the Line-Out >> CMoy>> Eggos and like this combination the best. The amp seems to give the line-out some coloration and improves it a bit. My amp has the OPA627s and these smooth darker opamps coupled with the cleaner high end that the Eggos provide makes a perfect match IMO.

It does have bass boost and anti-skip. I don't use any of these but it does skip easily with the anti-skip turned off.

This is all I have and can't really compare to what else is available out there (well, my home unit beats the pants off of it), but it is cheap if you can find one. I haven't gotten around to tweaking it yet but it sounds "okay and good enough" to me for now.

Jun 30, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks Rockysdad, I have one that the kids don't use anymore and was wondering if it is worth keeping or if I should sell it. I don't think I would want much for it since I don't really plan on needing it.

Jun 30, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 4
I also have a D-E301, and will get a Panasonic 570 soon. I am also searching for Sony D33. Will let you know after A/B test.

Paired with a HD590, I can say it is not so good. Some guys says it sucks. My impression is it is muddy and less transparency. But I have not heard other good PCDPs yet. So it might be OK compare to other PCDPs.

I remember the price on ebay for D-E301 is under $10. So you might want to avoid the hassle and just let it sit in storage room. Mine has been there for 5 years
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back