Sony D-CJ01 Owners - a question about encoding
Nov 18, 2002 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I read in one the posts here that the some people experienced problems with the D-CJ01 reading VBR encoded mp3s. But I visited epinions, and a person there - who did a fairly comprehensive review - mentioned that in his experience the CJ01 played VBR mp3s best! He said that it takes the CJ01 a minute or more just to read the tracks on a disc with non-VBR mp3s, whereas it will begin playing a disc with VBR mp3 immediately. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm in the processes of encoding some discs to send to my brother as part of his xmas present, and I doing them all with non-VBR encoding since (Vert?) reported problems with VBR mp3. I just don't want to be wasting my time after all this work. Thanks for your imput.

Nov 18, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 6
I think the DCJ01 plays VBR discs, but you need to limit the upper end of the encoding (I believe there was a link to another site). Do a search on it...

My experience with the player is, unless you close out the disc, the sony has a hard time with reading it (and can take forever - up to 2-3 minutes). Also, my experience is about one gap for every 2 songs encoded with VBR.

The DCJ01 sounds the best out there, but is also probably the most finicky (sp?). The SlimX can read just about anything - even the stuff my laptop has reading! With CBR, the sony sounds/performs fine.

Best of luck...

Nov 18, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks Shafu, I'll continue with my constant bit recording!
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 6
On the other hand...

I haven't had any trouble with VBR's on this machine. I encode them using Musicmatch at a setting of 80% to 100%, which seems to translate into a bit rate range of mid 100's to upper 200's (the TDK Mojo, which I owned briefly until it started flaking out, gives you a running report of the current figure). They sound great!

Which phones did you end up getting to go with this?

Nov 20, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't bother with VBR. I just use 192, CBR. File sizes come out more or less the same with maybe 192 being a tad smaller.

Nov 20, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Davie,
I ended up buying Purks KSC-35s. My bro digs BIG bass. They also sounded like the fit the ticket size and wearability-wise. Thanks for your help before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back