Sony D-9
Mar 19, 2007 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Amithraldur

New Head-Fier
I've just come across an old sony D-9 discman, but I've having trouble finding any information on it. Could anyone list some specs, or, even better, say if this player is any good?

Any help y'all can provide would be great. Thanks!

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 11
The D-9 is an OK unit. I think it uses one of Sony's in-house 8x oversampling 16 bit D/A converters, though I don't recall which. It's probably better than some of their newer offerings, but even in Sony's lineup it's not considered a high end unit.

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D-9 is an OK unit. I think it uses one of Sony's in-house 8x oversampling 16 bit D/A converters, though I don't recall which. It's probably better than some of their newer offerings, but even in Sony's lineup it's not considered a high end unit.

Nice! I posted a thread asking basically this very question a while back and no one volunteered any info. I had assumed it was either 4x or 8x ovesampling.

I currently have a D-9, D-555, D-311 and D-303. My 555 is flaky with the HP out - just used for home listening, and the 311 just died last week. So far, the D-9 has been the most fun to listen to of the group when using my JBL Reference 510 phones. These phones are a little weak in the upper ranges, and the D-9 is a little bright but has the power to REALLY drive these phones and sounds great. I did a couple listen-throughs with different discs that I deem as good recordings and music I like, and the real tell-tale was I kept listening to the whole song and even forgetting that I was being scientific and sticking to one song. The D-9 does not sound the best, as mentioned it is a little bright and thrashy in addition, the bass boost circuit adds noticable hiss, but it is the most "fun" to listen to music that is really louder and active.

This is why I wanted to find out info on it... They are really cheap to find usually and to me, provide a great listening experience. When listening to soft guitar music or something precise however the E3C's and the D-311 (RIP) is a hands-down better combo. Break out some electronica or punk and the D-9 shines, even (IMHO) over my D-311 (RIP) combined with a friend's TotalBitHead and the JBL phones. The D-9 is a good, inexpensive little unit IMHO.

If only I could get my hands on a battery cage for the D-9 - then it could be portable! Haha.. I am going to try to make one but not sure if I can do that.

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 11
Sorry you didn't get a response to your thread, wombat. I didn't see your post, but I'm not always lurking around so it may have gone by during a period where I wasn't around. I'm guessing it's 8x based on the year of manufacture and its placement in Sony's lineup.

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 11
Mar 20, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatsauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only I could get my hands on a battery cage for the D-9 - then it could be portable! Haha.. I am going to try to make one but not sure if I can do that.

I think this may be the AA Battery Case you might be looking for. it appears to still be in stock but not sure.
http://jr.partsearch.com/Part/Sony/S...01171/New.aspx

EBP2,BATTERY CASE,AA
Sony Part Number: X49301171
EBP2,BATTERY CASE,AA

Shipping Availability: Usually ships in 4 - 6 business days

Price: $2.95

Quantity:

See all models that can use this product
Compatible Models for Sony X49301171

Total Models: 5
Sony D-66
Sony D-90
Sony D-99
Sony DT66
Sony D9

in the manual the rechargeable battery pack is listed as a BP-2

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 11
I still have that D-9 kicking around. everything works perfectly except the right channel of the headphone out is louder than the left. wouldn't matter if I'd use the Line-out anyway.

With the adaptor, for $8 it's a damn good deal...

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry you didn't get a response to your thread, wombat. I didn't see your post, but I'm not always lurking around so it may have gone by during a period where I wasn't around. I'm guessing it's 8x based on the year of manufacture and its placement in Sony's lineup.

Oh no worries, didn't mean to sound whiny.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this may be the AA Battery Case you might be looking for. it appears to still be in stock but not sure.
http://jr.partsearch.com/Part/Sony/S...01171/New.aspx

EBP2,BATTERY CASE,AA
Sony Part Number: X49301171
EBP2,BATTERY CASE,AA

Shipping Availability: Usually ships in 4 - 6 business days

Price: $2.95

Quantity:

See all models that can use this product
Compatible Models for Sony X49301171

Total Models: 5
Sony D-66
Sony D-90
Sony D-99
Sony DT66
Sony D9

in the manual the rechargeable battery pack is listed as a BP-2

Oh wow - nice!!! What's ironic is I bought all my walkmans and a couple discmans mail order (like old fashioned style) when I was a kid... Fill out the form, mail a check - wait patiently... Wow - forgot what that was like!!

Thanks a bunch, will get one today - my D-9 is actually a really nice player, will be cool to have it become portable. Since my D-311 died, I have been using my D-303 at my desk.

Sadly even though the 303 was my all-time fav, I am agreeing with Duncan - it just sounds terrible out the HP out. I cannot even listen to it with my JBL 510's - the distortion gets nasty anywhere near "4" on the volume. The JBL IEM's are much better, but still nothing like my dead D-311 or the little D-9...

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 11
Someone just sent me a pic of a D-99, which is the Japanese and Euro version of the D-9. It is very similar however says "DBB" instead of Mega Bass, the Hold switch is slightly different, and it has a "1bit DAC" sign on the lid. Food for thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back