Sony D-88 on eBay
Mar 3, 2003 at 12:51 AM Post #16 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by Oliver
smily_headphones1.gif

Booh, this one has much nicer extras than mine!
tongue.gif
Super-cool bag!
But, how strange are those sellers - listeted simply as a "Sony Discman", why can't they put the proper model name in the title if they do know it?!
rolleyes.gif

Oh, yours didn't come with that bag? That's too bad.

I guess the seller doesn't know there are people who know the D-88 model, so he doesn't list it in the title.

We should start a D-88 club, or 'Team Sony D-88'
biggrin.gif

'Owners of the now not so rare but quite common Sony D-88 mini discman'

Mar 3, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 79
I remember seeing players like that around back in the day. Not often, but I remember seeing them in a couple shops.

Not something for me, but it's cute.
wink.gif
I look forward to reports on it's playback quality.

Mar 3, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #19 of 79
Hey seriously, I think we should start a Sony vintage portable club or something... if they can have clubs for antique cars, I think we can do the same... LOL!

Then I guess eBay is already our Barrett Jackson auction site...

Mar 3, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #20 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
Hey seriously, I think we should start a Sony vintage portable club or something... if they can have clubs for antique cars, I think we can do the same... LOL!

Then I guess eBay is already our Barrett Jackson auction site...

Yeah, good idea!!
I really love those old WM-series cassette Walkman from Sony!!

Mar 3, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #21 of 79
Great photos, thanks! Can't wait to receive my D-88. I've got a freshly burned 8cm CD waiting for it as well as a charged BP2ex
smily_headphones1.gif

Some kind of club... with all kinds of information, a gallery, maybe a spare parts exchange, information on repair etc. A bit like we have here but then in the form of a website. Too bad you're probably not allowed to put service manuals up on the internet.

Only problem would be the extra exposure of these old players, possibly driving up their prices on e-Bay even further.

Mar 3, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #22 of 79
Yeah true... but I think most of our collections are getting mature enough to start one, I mean most of us already have the best of the crop... Anyhow, then again we have unlimited wants...
mad.gif

Maybe we should give it another year or so of bargain hunting on eBay hehe
evil_smiley.gif
With head-fi, many of our gems already got some kinda money value increase no?!
eek.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 12:27 PM Post #23 of 79
D-88 arrived today. Freaky, really
biggrin.gif

It currently sits on my desk and kicks my Senns with Patricia Barber. Yes, it drives HD600s, quite decently.
I would comment about the sound, but my senses are dulled, being struck by the flu *again*. All I can say is that I think the player to be a bit harsh at the top end. Comments?

It came with two batteries, I am currently charging one of them, maybe there is some life left.

The drawback: No line out!
rolleyes.gif

I just found out that seems to be a little less skip-prone (touch the disc!
very_evil_smiley.gif
) when used vertically, but I might be wrong... more aspirin...

Mar 6, 2003 at 1:11 PM Post #24 of 79
I also received my D-88 today. Complete with the carrying bag, battery holder, US powersupply (which I can't use
smily_headphones1.gif
) and one dead BP2 battery (I'll see if I can revive it).

It was pretty dirty looking, so I had to clean it up with a damp cloth and some dish-washing detergent.

It's indeed a pretty freaky little device
smily_headphones1.gif

Contrary to the way it was described, it's not "functioning perfectly" at all
frown.gif
It skipped a whole lot and couldn't play without skipping, it also refuses to play my 8cm disk, skipping madly the whole time.

I think it needs lubricating, I opened it up but it seems a bit tricky to take apart, I don't want to ruin it.

I lubricated it a bit from the outside, I could just reach the worm wheel. Now it plays 12cm disks. I'll have to see if I can reach the rest of the worm wheel so hopefully it will play 8cm disks as well.

The sound is indeed very bright and harsh, it seems to be lacking any bass. If you know the D-25s, it has much less bass and is much brighter sounding.

It's also very easy to operate wrongly. Once I had the spindle lever shifting sequence wrong (you have to swing the 8cm bracket back or forth, close the player, I think press play first and then shift the spindle).
So the head was ramming the spindle trying to get past it, ouch!

Second thing I did wrong was set the spindle for 12cm and forget to swing back the bracket, so it was pressing on the disk, which ofcourse couldn't spin anymore.

I know, I'm a bit of a klutz
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 2:05 PM Post #25 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)

It's also very easy to operate wrongly. Once I had the spindle lever shifting sequence wrong (you have to swing the 8cm bracket back or forth, close the player, I think press play first and then shift the spindle).
So the head was ramming the spindle trying to get past it, ouch!

Uh, do not move the spindle after pressing play or with a disc in! Did your player come with a manual? I find it quite easy to operate, just the movable 8cm bracket (it's quite a barricade, reminds me of some vehicle in ALIENS
very_evil_smiley.gif
) can be troublesome to remove from the 12cm position, you need tough fingernails...
The clamp on top can be flicked around with ease when the player is open.
I find the bass not to be toooo bad, it is there, slim, but there, but those highs... uh, there are fingersnaps on this CD... ouch... ouch... ouch...
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 2:37 PM Post #26 of 79
You can move the spindle only with the player closed, this way the magnetic clamp in the lid will move to the correct position as well.

There is indeed some bass. The sound is very detailed and transparent and the soundstage is really wide.

I have the player playing my 8cm disc now, it often skips really badly, totally losing track and needing a few seconds to resume. But it seems to improving a bit with my lubrication and cleaning of the lens.

Maybe the tracking/focus would need adjusting, not sure if the pots are labeled.

You can actually play 8cm CDs in the 12cm position, sticking out slightly, LOL
biggrin.gif

Mine didn't come with a manual.

I didn't move the spindle while playing a disc, I'm not that daft
biggrin.gif

I could move the 8cm CD inside though, that was neat
tongue.gif

Man, this player is small, metal casing, heavy and cool. I hope I'll be able to get it working properly. I love the way the lid snaps close without an open button.

Mar 6, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #27 of 79
I saw someone with one of these in the NYC subway back in the day. Couldn't believe my eyes, seeing the CD spinning, outside of the player like that... Extremely cool, but not the best environment for it. (crowded subway...)

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 3:49 PM Post #28 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
I saw someone with one of these in the NYC subway back in the day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe... what you, mug me? See this rotating blade?!
biggrin.gif
One might also mod it with a 2-speed motor, music- and attack-mode...
First battery seems dead, charging number two.. how many of those dead SONY packs am I going to aquire?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #29 of 79
You can try to revive these batteries, if you have a wall wart or other DC source of something like 20 or 24 volts.

Apply the voltage to the battery for a minute. Keep a multimeter handy, to measure the voltage of the battery after that. Keep on repeating, see if the voltage goes up over the rated voltage. If it isn't going any higher, charge the battery in a player. Use the battery and repeat the process.

You can 'zap' them for longer than a minute, but don't let them get hot.

Mar 6, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #30 of 79
What in the world!?!? Another D-88 on e-Bay!!! That's number eight in two weeks. What is going on here???

My D-88 seems to be playing my 8cm disc now, I hope I'll be able to make it a bit reliable somehow.

My wife said this was the coolest player by far of all the ones I have
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back