Sony D-777
Oct 22, 2001 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

utdeep

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally opened up my Sony D-777 and checked it out. It was good, but I didn't think it was better than my Sony D-E551 with optical/analog line out (that I purchased for $50 off amazon). Are the line outs on different CD players supposed to sound different or are they all the same? I think it may be better off headphone....
Is the analog line out on the D-777 as decent as a optical out? I'd like to hold on to a single CD player.

Oct 22, 2001 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 7
I will take it off your hand if you don't want it.
wink.gif
Tell me the price.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2001 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 7
you gotta be kidding, friend. My sharp MD-SS323 costs less than that and equips with 13 DSP ....and very hard to beat ...
Well....I will go searching somewhere else then.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2001 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 7
What makes this so great? I just got me a JMT altoid amp, ETY 4P adapted to 4S, and I don't feel like its that much better than my $50 CD player. Maybe somethings wrong... in which case I don't want to rip you off. It sounds good, but I don't really feel a difference in the line outs. Maybe its too good for me
confused.gif

Oct 23, 2001 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 7
Well, line-outs really shouldn't sound ALL that different - and.....well.....never Sonys and Panas supposedly have BETTER DACs (the only variable, really, for line-outs) than the D777 (like, say, DE-J01)

Oct 23, 2001 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 7
A huge variable on the line-out is the analogue stage.
In most cases more important than the DAC, modern DAC's are not all that bad really.

Portable cd's prolly have the lousiest analogue stages of all cd players because of the size constraint. But, they are battery driven, which helps somewhat, compared to the cheap PS's in full size units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back