Sony D-777 Vs. D-EJ2000?
Oct 23, 2003 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tone-def

New Head-Fier
Can somebody who has BOTH the Sony D-777 and the D-EJ2000 please help with some answers to the following questions.

1. How does the maximum volume through the headphone outputs compare? The D-EJ2000 is powered by a single gumstick battery, so I would be keen to see if Sony can achieve the same levels with half the voltage.

2. Have Sony fixed the problem with G-Protection that I found with the D-EJ01 I used to own .(a whining noise at low levels through the headphone output as the disc spun up to speed )

I'm trying to decide whether to replace my D-777 or keep it. The D-EJ2000 is the only unit which interests me from the current Sony/Pana range.

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm sorry, but I haven't heard the D-777. In fact, the only Head-Fier that I know that had heard both the D-777 and the D-EJ2000 is Duncan. But the D-EJ2000 that he heard was the c(r)apped 0.5mW European-market version, so this comparison is all but useless.

Oct 23, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 16
I have had a non European spec D-EJ2000. I've also just disposed of a European spec D-EJ2000 which I go in for testing as well. And Duncan has kindly lent me his D-777. The difference is still significant. The 777's phone output is richer, more powerful, etc. The EJ2000 is however no slouch. There are no extraneous noises in the HP out, and the sound is articulate. And nothing, not even the similar-sized iMP-550 can even get close to it for portability. From the view of lumping practicality and sound into one measurement, the D-EJ2000 edges forward of the 777 slightly. The built-in amp on the 777 however is (as you probably know) very attractive.

The biggest controlling factor for the chice is your current phones. For example if you had a Sennheiser HD25, you could go for the D-EJ2000 and it wouldn't hurt you too much. Anything around the Ety level or less efficient, you will probably wish the D-777 back.

Oct 24, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 16
Hi tone-def,

I'd say definitely keep it. I was in pretty much in the exact same situation when I first came into head-fi. I was searching for a replacement discman, thinking that it was time to let go of my D777, but after a few searches I was definitely surprised to see it so highly regarded. Mind you, I had the player since 1996 and only joined head-fi last year, and so I never had the chance to really audition other PDCPs in the market, but I didn't realise what I had under my own nose (mainly because I was still using the stock earbuds).

Having gotten some decent headphones and actually going out and paying attention to sound quality of the new discmans, I must say that the praise for the D777, at least, is quite worthy. The downside is the relatively weak shock-protection compared to, for instance, the D-EJ2000 (which I haven't personally heard). However, I learnt to live with the ESP off and being satisfied with the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps!

Pat.

Oct 24, 2003 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 16
bangraman and all:

How do you like the line outs on the two machines? I now have a couple of Pana CT570's (overseas versions) and have been interested in both the 777 and EJ2000 as an update to a portable system (PPA and Ety4s). Do you think having either of these machines would be an improvement over the Panasonic in this case?

Oct 24, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 16
The D-777 would definitely be an improvement of the the CT570. It won't have the same level skip protection, but there will be a noticeable improvement in sound w/ both the line out and headphone out.

Oct 25, 2003 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 16
Ditto on the D-777, the headout is just so powerful. I use my ER4S unamped throught he headphone out with favourable results but improves with a Mint through the lineout. However YMMV

Oct 25, 2003 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 16
Hi bobjew,

With the ESP shock protection on, you should be right with walking. Just keep in mind it will never be "jog-proof" like the current G-shock protection systems. If you're carrying it in a backpack or satchel it really should be fine
smily_headphones1.gif
. Hope you enjoy yours when you get it!

Oct 25, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 16
i have a 1997 d-777, and i just put it in my backpack with either a jmt cha47 amp, meta42, or by itself--and i do not use the skip protection (saves batteries). the only time it skips is if i'm running hard or i knock it. with normal walking (without skip protection on and the d-777 in my pack), i get no skipping at all. even on a bumpy bus ride, no skipping.

keep the d-777. i haven't heard the other one, but i have yet to find a good pcdp replacememnt for the d-777, and it is built to last.

Oct 25, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 16
How can you tell what year your D-777 was made?

The problem that I have with it is that you can't put it in your pocket and walk without skipping (even w/ ESP on).

[note: the 777 skipping...not me skipping]

[spelling edit--see below]

Oct 25, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by cscott23
The problem that I have with it is that you can put it in your pocket and walk without skipping (even w/ ESP on).

can = can't?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by cscott23
How can you tell what year your D-777 was made?
-snip

flip it over, and on the back it is written:
tokyo, japan / manufactured: july 1997
along with the serial number, model number, etc. on a sticker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back