Sony D-515 on eBay
Jan 28, 2008 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cabart

New Head-Fier
Anyone out there have any advice for me... I just listed my Sony D515 Discman CD Portable on eBay and I am now having seller's remorse. I listened to it as I was listing it and the CD's sounded so amazing through my speakers and headphones; I feel like I'm making a mistake. I have other PCDP's (Sony D-7, D-143, D-121 and 3 iPods) so it's not like I need it, but it feels and sounds so fantastic that I don't know what to do. Anybody have any suggestions that will help me make up my mind? I could close the auction early and keep it. Help.
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 11
If you haven't used it in 3 month get rid of it or put in a museum.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 11
I suggest you keep it

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 11
x2 for keep it. The D-515 is one of the most highly regarded vintage PCDP's. It's the top model on my wishlist, I gotta have one someday. I have no real desire for a 555, 25s, or a lot of other models that other people pay tons of money for. Unless you really need the money or have something in mind that you will use the money for (new audio gear, etc) I would seriously keep it.

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 11
Does any one have any idea what should I expect to get out of this thing if I do sell it? Someone offered me $579 for the player, but I have no idea what to expect in the auction which is up to $250 with 5 more days to go and 10 people watching it. I can't find any info online on the subject. I bought it for $499 many years ago, what should I expect?

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 11
I don't use ebay alot but why would someone bid 250 dollars when the previous bid was only 50? Is there any benefit to this?

I suggest you keep the unit btw, I wish I could have gotten it when it was on sale here for 120 couple of months ago
frown.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 11
I would have expected it to go for around $250, but maybe they go for even more now... dang. I can't afford that fer sure.

If someone offered me $575 for I would have taken it and run!! That is if I was selling. As I stated earlier, I wouldn't sell it. But it looks like you will get a nice chunk of change for it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cydonia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't use ebay alot but why would someone bid 250 dollars when the previous bid was only 50? Is there any benefit to this?

The $50 high bidder actually bid more than that, but eBay only shows the amount it took to beat the previous high bidder. So when another bidder went for it, eBay kept raising the first place buyer's bid each time 2nd place would bid, and eBay counter bid up to the max bid - then buyer #2 moved up to first place.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 11
...Nr. 4 recommending to keep it

Given the line of (semi-)portable players you mentioned, I'd rather sell another one (especially the D-121). But, if you offered the D-515 on eBay already, it'll have to go.

Anyway, from my personal listening experience, a smaller lineup of less fancy players may be sufficient - like (1) a D-25 or D-34 with superb SQ complemented by (2) an AZ68xx series Philips PCDP (stunning sound-per-money rate) for situations where it may get lost or damaged and (3) a recent MP3 player for real portability :wink:

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 11
I would keep the D-515 unless the person who had offered you $579 for it is serious about his offer. In that case I would take the $579 and hunt down the king of PCDPs, the Denon DCP-150. I currently own 3 D-515 and it's one of the better sounding vintage PCDPs in Sony's line up. It's also one of the better looking vintage Sony PCDPs IMO.

What you should expect to get for it depends on it's condition, whether the unit comes complete with all accessories, papers, and original box. For a D-515 that's in excellent condition, functions flawlessly, and doesn't come with it's accessories, papers, or box I would pay somewhere in the range of $200 to $250 at the most. A little less if it's condition is less than excellent and a little more if it's in excellent condition or better and comes complete with everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back