Sony D-35 cd player
Apr 8, 2007 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

OpusRob

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone give me a sense for the relative merits of this old, or "classic" portable compared to a new Sony portable cd player? I have had this thing for many years, have always liked it very much (in particular its build quality - all metal chassis - and its built-in features, of which there are many). I prefer my Marantz CC-65SE for actual performance, but the Sony is pretty nice. I want to use a small player with my headphone setup, but I don't want to buy a new one unless a new one is signficantly better. They don't cost much these days (this one set me back probably $300 back in the day), but I still don't want to bother unless the difference would be significant in the plus column. I'm inclined to just keep using this one, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm relatively new to the vintage PCDP game, but I do know that modern players cannot hold a candle to many of the vintage models in terms of build-quality and SQ - including your D35. I've never heard a D35 myself, but I do own a D33, D321, & D335 and, when using a quality mini-to-mini cable from the PCDP's line-out to a decent amp they can almost compete with many quality home-size rigs. If you do a search (under the portable forum would be best) for Head-Fier Duncan's reviews of classic players, you may find the D35. Duncan is considered the authority on vintage PCDP's around these parts and his advice is well-regarded.

Oh yeah, remember - if it sounds good to you, then it is good! [size=small] zD[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back