Sony D-311 Problem - DEAD
Aug 24, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by limey
Does anyone know where I can get a dead Sony D-311 mended or even looked at?

I have tried everything and nothing happens - no CD spin up or LCD action.

You'll generally find that the cost of getting these things fixed, is greater or a large percentage of the original cost. That is specifically because they aren't designed to be repaired... they are designed to be "throw away, buy a new one" type pieces of equipment. Happened with my mate and his just out of warranty MZN-10...

Aug 25, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 15
You can try bringing your D-311 to your local authorized Sony repair outlet if you have one in your area and have them look at it. As it has been mentioned earlier depending on what the problem is, it might cost you some money to have the D-311 fixed. Sony still does carry some replacement parts for the D-311. If there isn't a authorized local Sony repair shop near you, try taking it into a repair shop that has exprience in rapairing cd players or portable stereos and have them take a look at it.

Aug 25, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 15
limey...

What are the symptoms? - obviously dead... but - can we go one stage further a moment?

Plug in the DC, or battery power, and plug in your earphones... turn the volume up to max, and see what you can hear...

that might sound daft, but - I myself have a dead D311, that whistles at you when you plug in the power, and changes tone when buttons are pressed, and stops whistling when stop is held down... that to me symbolises potential servo / logic problems rather than total board / laser failure. although i've never found anywhere to get mine fixed up...

If yours whistles the same as mine, then maybe its not as dead as you think... and, on the flip-side, if you are able to get it repaired (UK Sony Centres harp on about the seven year product cycle thing) - maybe you can let me know... and I could ship mine to you?!?

Please let me know the results from the headphone output.

Poojou...

Much as I hate to agree with you, it is the case... that is why, Sony in their own infinite wisdom shot themselves in the foot with their TVs (I spoke to a rep once about this) - you get your Sony TV home, and - it doesn't break... so, whats the need to buy a new one? - they actually struggle to sell their TVs...

Cheers...

Duncan.

Aug 26, 2004 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 15
Hi, sorry to butt in. I have a Sony D211 & the local agent is willing to repair it for aprox US$65. Is it worth it to do so? I had a look inside & the plastic cable that links the circuit board to the optical len have partially broken off.Thks

Aug 26, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 15
Hi rider...

Personally, I find that the D211 is one of the best, if not THE best PCDP that Sony ever made (from its headphone out perspective at least)... so, if you can't find any on ebay that cost less than $65 (they normally go for less than that, so might be worth hunting one down) then I would personally say yes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 15
$65 for repair such one?? My God~~~

As I know ,in the Chinese second-hand market , an old-type discman just like D311/321/331 cost no more than 400RMB(Chinese money ,just 1/8 US$ or even lower~. so 400RMB<=60US$)~~

and such a Discman is not worth to repair~~Cos the repairment-price is more than to buy an other one~

Aug 26, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazabi2001
$65 for repair such one?? My God~~~

As I know ,in the Chinese second-hand market , an old-type discman just like D311/321/331 cost no more than 400RMB(Chinese money ,just 1/8 US$ or even lower~. so 400RMB<=60US$)~~

and such a Discman is not worth to repair~~Cos the repairment-price is more than to buy an other one~

$65 isn't that bad, I know of some local repair shops here that would charge more than that to do a simple repair to a PCDP. If you can find another D211/311/321 etc. (not one that is a look alike or similar) on the Chinese second hand market for less than $65 and works flawlessly then by all means buy it. I have yet to come across any of the mentioned models above in my local second-hand Chinese market as much of the PCDP that they carry are crap.

Aug 26, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Hi rider...

Personally, I find that the D211 is one of the best, if not THE best PCDP that Sony ever made (from its headphone out perspective at least)... so, if you can't find any on ebay that cost less than $65 (they normally go for less than that, so might be worth hunting one down) then I would personally say yes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, will send it to get it repaired and see how it goes. Cheers

Aug 30, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by limey
Does anyone know where I can get a dead Sony D-311 mended or even looked at?

I have tried everything and nothing happens - no CD spin up or LCD action.

In china,repair a discman,so cheap.......about $10...bought a cd player(such:whole D311)...about 30$

Aug 30, 2004 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 15
cheap prices hifimaster
biggrin.gif

Welcome to head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
cheap prices hifimaster
biggrin.gif

Welcome to head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

^_^!Hello Duncan.I'm a chinese high school students...I like Music very much...
600smile.gif

In china,Discman is so cheap.For example: SONY D303, about $80.......
etysmile.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifimaster
^_^!Hello Duncan.I'm a chinese high school students...I like Music very much...
600smile.gif

In china,Discman is so cheap.For example: SONY D303, about $80.......
etysmile.gif

Where in china to buy discman?? Can you be more specific ? as I make trips regularly to shanghai and beijing.

Aug 30, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rider
Where in china to buy discman?? Can you be more specific ? as I make trips regularly to shanghai and beijing.

I live in Beijing ^_^! In common I surf the Internet.WWW.JD-BBS.COM
In jd-bbs.com sell many old Discman.and so cheap...
orphsmile.gif

If you want to buy a discman...I would like to help you to but old Discman IN china
orphsmile.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 15
China maybe really a good place to get some old-type-PCDP~~But most of those second-hand electricity products is come from other country ,for example---Japan. Those second-hand things come form outland is laways came with some problems , what Chinese call them "Foreign-Waste" . Though they may have probems , but realy cheap .

In fact , there also a group of Chinese people intierst in collecting some PCDPs . Like here , the SONY D-Z555(D-555) is the most famous , with a high price often over 2000RMB( 250US$~~). Other some like D303 D250/D25 D150/D15 D50/D5 often sold in a low price (often lower than 500RMB, 1 RMB = 1/8 US$ or even lower~)

Cos the south-part of china is where those things importde~So KuangTong & HongKong maybe the place which can easly find them with the lowest price~Once I found a D-Z555 in KwangTong less than 100US$ , and last month a HongKong friend just found a cassette-deck , Nakamichi Dragon (has any one here play cassette-decks?) , for me; and with a price just in 100$~

Maybe china is good place to find such second-hand things, but know some Chinese-characters is important~~~In fact , Chinese characters is realy hard to understand~

UMM..... www.jd-bbs.com , I was often in there . Mr Hifimaster should already met me there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back