Sony D-25S Manual
Feb 4, 2002 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

JML

Headphoneus Supremus
Feb 4, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 24
Thanks JML, I know a lot of us were looking for this.
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 24
I'm glad I can help!

Feb 5, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 24
Illegible when I print, due (lack of) printer quality.

Would you consider sending a photocopy if I were to send an SASE (or if you're interested in a pair of the KSC-35's, I'll make you a sweet deal when the bulk shipment arrives!)

Feb 5, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 24
I was in a rush to do the scan today.

The pages are 8.5 x 11, and Sony sends out photocopies (which are not too good). I scanned the b&w image at 200 dpi, then exported the images as .tif files, then resized them and saved them as .jpg files for uploading. If you (1) click on the thumbnail to get the larger image, or (2) download the .jpg file from the folder's thumbnail and print it after downloading, using your browser or an image viewer (I use ACDSee), the pics ought to be OK (they were OK for me when I tried it, but I use a new HP2200 laserjet at work).

If this doesn't work for you, then contact me directly via my profile, send me an e-mail note, and ask for my address. I'll be happy to send a photocopy of the manual. Just send me a 9x12 envelope, self-addressed & with about 3 stamps (ought to cover the costs of mailing).

If a significant # of people have problems with the scans, then later this week I can try and rescan them at a higher resolution, enhance the contrast, and post the higher-quality .tif files (but they're huge to upload and download).

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 24
Adobe PDF format would be better @ 150dpi.
However, you might want to try scanning at 300dpi, then save it as grayscale with type-3 filter (average) or bitmap (black&white) with type-0 (none) PNG (portable network graphics) which is a lossless compressed web format. This format is amazing, since it compresses each byte and not pixel, you can get incredible compression results, I've gotten 30:1 compression using the right filter on large files before.
Adobe Photoshop supports PNG encoding, I don't work with any other software (yet).
TIFF can be compressed as well. I recommend LZW over PackBits or JPEG. You'll get around 5:1 (better than PackBits) with LZW, and JPEG produces artifacts.

Have you thought of faxing (CCITTFAX - compressed TIFF 1bit grayscale) it to people with fax machines? I would like a copy of this manual as well, unfortunately, I don't have a fax machine. Can recieve internet transfers though. =)

BTW, I don't recommend PNG for photographic images, use TIFF for that.

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 24
Hey everyone,

I managed to get my grubby paws on a D-25 manual (original, not photocopied). If I have time tonight, I'll scan it. Any suggestions for a free place to post it? I seriously doubt I have enough quota left on my site...

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 24
Russ - how about a mailing list? (e-mail)

BTW, I'll gladly store it on my webspace which is hosted by www.rackmy.com (tripple OC192 backbone, server has 100Mbps ethernet to limit transfers, $5 per GB is quite costly =\) once I get the server back running. I might just get a 1mbps wireless connection and host it myself.

• 300dpi bitmap PNG packaged in RAR SFX shouldn't take up more than 1MB for the manual, so server load shouldn't be a problem...

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 24
The photocopied pages from Sony are pretty awful, folks. The scans I posted are probably the best compromise of image size and quality -- these are not done from an original, and all I would get by bumping up the resolution is slightly better contrast, but it would still be a low-quality picture.

When I print the downloaded files, I get a very readable print.

I use a Visioneer 8800 and PaperPort to scan, and after doing some cleanup I usually export as an uncompressed TIF. Then I do conversion and resizing within ACDSee. Frankly, the issue about file types is one of more in which the recipient is more a problem than the sender. Unless the recipient has image-manipulation software, or a photoeditor, they can't see the picture in most of those file formats, so I usually share web-posted images in .jpg format, which is small enough for most people to deal with even with slow connections and only a web browser. Lowest-common denominator, perhaps, but that is what usually works.

I can convert to .pdf only by using Corel WordPerfect, which means embedding the image in another file, and there's no file size or image quality savings when doing this conversion. TIF files work best there, but the image size is huge.

And faxing? You have to be kidding, esp. with the copy I have to work with! The image quality for a fax is probably the worst, too. And I would have to do it myself, and honestly, I can't spare the time at work to do real-time faxes to so many people.

Sorry.

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 24
Remember, we are dealing with text here, not complex images. Although the compression info that I've stated above is mostly based on working with color images that I have the most experience with.

What about PNG? It's widely supported by IE, Netscape, Windows, Mac, and others. Also, Apple Quicktime PictureViewer can view both PNG and TIF files. Higher resolution would offer better print clarity, low resolution results in pixelated or blurry edges. May I remind you that TIFF can be compressed to around 5:1, but I don't know if you have the software to do that.

Correction, Adobe Photoshop does not support bitmap mode PNG encoding. I just scanned @ 300dpi a page with a lot of detail in it out of one of my manuals and saved it as uncompressed RGB mode TIF. It came out to 20.5MB. Then I converted the image into bitmap mode (halftone screen, 60 lines/inch, 45º angle, diamond shape) and the file size came down to 175KB. That's 120:1 compression.

FYI, that scan converted into PDF (bitmap) came out to 168KB.

So, I recommend you try pdf-tif-png in that order. BTW, grayscale png came out to 799KB.

Feb 5, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 24
LOL that was quick, I was hoping for one of you guys to do it
smily_headphones1.gif
who did you do, to get the manual Russ? -_-

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by aixer
smily_headphones1.gif
who did you do, to get the manual Russ?

I bought an old D-25 off of eBay a while back. The owner ran across the manual recently and dropped it in an envelope for me.

Obviously I didn't have time to do the scanning last night. If I have time tonight, I will do it.

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by aixer
smily_headphones1.gif
who did you do, to get the manual Russ?

I bought an old D-25 off of eBay a while back. The owner ran across the manual recently and dropped it in an envelope for me.

Obviously I didn't have time to do the scanning last night. If I have time tonight, I will do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back