Sony D-25S - I Don't Get It
Mar 10, 2010 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sarals

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a Sony D-25S, a NOS. I did it based on the many glowing recommendations of the machine that I've read here and other places online. I do recall the sound of the early iterations (roughly second generation) of CD players, and they, as a rule, were not that good. However, if I appreciate anything, it's an under-appreciated audio nugget, a diamond in the rough. I took the (expensive) plunge.

Physically, it is a gorgeous piece of kit. Beautifully made (they truly don't "make 'em like that" anymore). There is high end and pro gear out there that isn't as nice. It has a lovely user interface, and nice, clean display.

But. It's audio performance, IMHO, is mediocre at best. What is all the fuss about? I listened to the headphone out and the line out (through a Leckerton UHA-6S and a AMB Mini3, ER-4S and SE530 IEMs). The low end is soft and laid back; the lower mids are almost liquid, but not quite; the upper mids have an awful glare, making them irritating; the highs are choppy, unrealisitic, and have little in the way of attack or decay. It does throw a decent image, and the overall balance is pleasant. However, the upper mid glare and the phony highs make it darn neigh unlistenable!

I bought a Sony D-303 as well. Now we're talkin'! This is a nice machine! It surpasses, easily, my iPod Classic 160 GB (played through the LOD into an amp). Best of all, the "Mega Bass" feature really compliments the ER-4S, almost as well as the MiniBox E+ does. I really like that player! Such a difference in two generations.

Now, this is IMHO. Your mileage may vary!
L3000.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 10
The caps in that NOS D-25S are 20+ years old. Probably sounded better 20 years ago. I've always thought the sound quality of the D-25 was overrated, at least with headphones. The build quality is superb, though. My D-15 has the same casing (lid window different), with different innards (earlier model). I won't get rid of it as I consider it a piece of audio art. The finish on the D-25S is especially slick looking. Wish I had one for posterity, but not at the going prices (i'm poor).

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Meanie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The caps in that NOS D-25S are 20+ years old. Probably sounded better 20 years ago. I've always thought the sound quality of the D-25 was overrated, at least with headphones. The build quality is superb, though. My D-15 has the same casing (lid window different), with different innards (earlier model). I won't get rid of it as I consider it a piece of audio art. The finish on the D-25S is especially slick looking. Wish I had one for posterity, but not at the going prices (i'm poor).

It is a gorgeous thing! Beautifully made.

The first thing that popped into my head vis a vis that upper midrange glare was "capacitors". I'd wager that's the issue, there. However, I'm sure the faults in the highs are simply that stoneage brickwall filter. Nasty! That said, I am NOT going to open it and fool around with those caps.

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep this one. I haven't had it long enough!

Thanks!!

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a gorgeous thing! Beautifully made.

The first thing that popped into my head vis a vis that upper midrange glare was "capacitors". I'd wager that's the issue, there. However, I'm sure the faults in the highs are simply that stoneage brickwall filter. Nasty! That said, I am NOT going to open it and fool around with those caps.

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep this one. I haven't had it long enough!

Thanks!!

I wouldn't be crazy enough to tear into it to replace the caps either, even though I had dis and reassembled at least 10 of the Sony PCDP's in my now gone collection to make adjustments and other repairs. Perhaps my impressions of the sound of the D-25 are based upon bad caps, too, as the one I heard was quite old at the time also. And as you said, that brickwall filter certainly wouldn't have helped, either.

Long boring story, but a few years ago I won a NOS D-25S from a guy on ebay. Got it fairly cheap, only around $125US, if memory serves. After I hadn't received it 6 weeks later, and getting the runaround and a story about the guy having been out of town and his wife shipping items to the wrong people, not to mention unfulfilled promises of a refund, Paypal finally refunded my money. I was depressed for about a month after that, as I had lost out on one of the holy grails of portable cd players, at a price I could afford. My only bad transaction on ebay out of over 250, and in hindsight, probably a good thing, as it would probably just be collecting dust now (but still looking sharp [sigh]).

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you Sarals for posting your impressions. I've been so tempted to buy one of these.

You're welcome!

~~~~Sara

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Meanie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't be crazy enough to tear into it to replace the caps either, even though I had dis and reassembled at least 10 of the Sony PCDP's in my now gone collection to make adjustments and other repairs. Perhaps my impressions of the sound of the D-25 are based upon bad caps, too, as the one I heard was quite old at the time also. And as you said, that brickwall filter certainly wouldn't have helped, either.

Long boring story, but a few years ago I won a NOS D-25S from a guy on ebay. Got it fairly cheap, only around $125US, if memory serves. After I hadn't received it 6 weeks later, and getting the runaround and a story about the guy having been out of town and his wife shipping items to the wrong people, not to mention unfulfilled promises of a refund, Paypal finally refunded my money. I was depressed for about a month after that, as I had lost out on one of the holy grails of portable cd players, at a price I could afford. My only bad transaction on ebay out of over 250, and in hindsight, probably a good thing, as it would probably just be collecting dust now (but still looking sharp [sigh]).

You know, this CD player would have been a good buy at $125, fair, even. I paid over double that for it, and it's just not worth that. In retrospect, I would have happily paid $400 or so for a pristine D-303, it does sound that good. That D-25S just doesn't, at least not now. The D-303 is miles ahead of it, and right there with many current players, of many different formats. It really do like it!

Don't fret the eBay deal! You might find a D-250 or something around that price, and it might have a scratch or two, but it isn't going to be overhyped and inflated because of that. I'm kicking myself, I'm not happy...but - I should have known!

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

[...]
Don't fret the eBay deal! You might find a D-250 or something around that price, and it might have a scratch or two, but it isn't going to be overhyped and inflated because of that.

Definitely, and keep an eye on international auctions.

I managed to grab a working D-303 for 40€ with nothing but some scratches from ebay.de.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wap32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely, and keep an eye on international auctions.

I managed to grab a working D-303 for 40€ with nothing but some scratches from ebay.de.

That's a great price - wow!!!

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I recently bought a Sony D-25S, a NOS. I did it based on the many glowing recommendations of the machine that I've read here and other places online. I do recall the sound of the early iterations (roughly second generation) of CD players, and they, as a rule, were not that good. However, if I appreciate anything, it's an under-appreciated audio nugget, a diamond in the rough. I took the (expensive) plunge.

Physically, it is a gorgeous piece of kit. Beautifully made (they truly don't "make 'em like that" anymore). There is high end and pro gear out there that isn't as nice. It has a lovely user interface, and nice, clean display.

But. It's audio performance, IMHO, is mediocre at best. What is all the fuss about? I listened to the headphone out and the line out (through a Leckerton UHA-6S and a AMB Mini3, ER-4S and SE530 IEMs). The low end is soft and laid back; the lower mids are almost liquid, but not quite; the upper mids have an awful glare, making them irritating; the highs are choppy, unrealisitic, and have little in the way of attack or decay. It does throw a decent image, and the overall balance is pleasant. However, the upper mid glare and the phony highs make it darn neigh unlistenable!

I bought a Sony D-303 as well. Now we're talkin'! This is a nice machine! It surpasses, easily, my iPod Classic 160 GB (played through the LOD into an amp). Best of all, the "Mega Bass" feature really compliments the ER-4S, almost as well as the MiniBox E+ does. I really like that player! Such a difference in two generations.

Now, this is IMHO. Your mileage may vary!
L3000.gif

Here's why I bought one.

I have a Zune, but don't feel like spending my life filling it up. So I only put stuff I listen to often on it. So I will sometimes grab a CD player and a handfull of CD's when I am out if I want to hear something not on my Zune.

Current players are a)cheaply built b)sound relatively poor at best.

There is a school of thought that the sonic problems in the modern machines are due to the buffer employed so that the player doesn't "skip" and due to the wimpy low-current circuitry designed to wring every minute out of a set of batteries. This is not true of the D-25. It will drive my HD-800, in fact all my phones, pretty well without an amp which is a definite plus.

The Sony D-25 is certainly well built. And I think it sounds good. I haven't heard a D-303, it may well be better sounding than the D-25, but the D-25 is available in NOS while the other contenders aren't. So you can only get hit-or-miss on EBAY and you have no idea how much laser life is left, or if there are other problems.

I certainly don't find the D-25 "unlistenable", to me, if it's better than the current crop of stuff it's earned it's keep. And it is much better than any of the more recent players I have bought.

As for the price, considering that no one makes anything like it today at any price, it's reasonable, in my view. I am glad I bought mine, no remorse.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back