Sony D-211 vs. Denon DCP-100
Jun 8, 2005 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ShiftySam

New Head-Fier
Help me! I'm shopping for a desk unit, and need some input...

It's between the Denon DCP-100 and the Sony D-211, both of which are currently on ebay. I understand that both of these units sound great...my big hang-up lies in paying $100+ for a 10-15 year old piece of equipment. I'll be using the unit daily, so I'm wondering out loud whether either of these is a wise choice. I like the D-211 because it's "new" in box....but the DCP-100 is a Denon!, looks cool, and is cool....only problem is that it has been used. The last thing I want/need is to end up with a really expensive Japanese paperweight.

I'd like to hear what folks have to say about using a vintage Discman for everyday use, and what their choice would be between the two.

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 9
Personally I'd go for the DCP-100, it's got a multibit DAC (same as the Sony D-555), while the D-211 has a 1-bit DAC. I have a DCP-100 and D-311, both have a punchy sound, the D-311 probably has a bit more bass (not that the DCP-100 is lacking there), but the DCP-100 more detail.

However, the DCP-100 doesn't use regular batteries, while IIRC the D-211 works with regular AA batteries. So for portable use, the D-211 will be easier, the DCP-100 would need an external batterpack (like a Radioshack powerbank). It normally uses BP-2 battery packs, but they are hard to find, expensive and don't last very long.

Jun 8, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 9
I would agree with LamerDeluxe, both the D-211 and DCP-100 are excellent PCDPs displaying a good level of detail and accuracy. If you don't plan on going portable with the PCDP then I'd go for the DCP-100. While the D-211 shines in detail and accuracy, the DCP-100 is a little more refined and better sounding IMO in these areas over the D-211 especially with it's dual 16 bit dacs.

I also find the DCP-100 to have a more open sound than the D-211. In other words it seemed to offer a bigger 3D like sound than the D-211 without it sounding exaggerated. As long as the the DCP-100 doesn't look beaten up and is in reasonably excellent condition, functions flawlessly go for it.

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks guys, for your opinions. I'm thinking I'd like the Denon if I planned to use it primarily at my desk...no way I'd spend the money on the special batts for it. My only holdup in buying the Denon is that it's used vs. new for the D-211. Any thoughts?

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 9
As I've stated in my earlier post as long as the DCP-100 in excellent shape (no missing/boroken parts, dents or severe scratches) and functions flawlessly (no skipping or the inablility to read cds) I'd consider buying it. Make sure you ask questions and address all your concerns to the seller about the DCP-100 before you make your final decision. If the DCP-100 has been treated with care all these years, it should provide you with years more of listening pleasure.

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 9
I bought a Denon PCDP blind without knowing its condition, and it's still going strong. I was skittish, but in the end, it was worth it for me. I think NIB PCDPs are cool in a way, but is it really a guarantee that it works?

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 9
I forgot to mention earlier that if at all possible request from the seller pics of the said PCDP (maybe even up close pics) that's for sale. Pictures are worth a thousands words.

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by waltchan
Is the Denon DCP-150 any better than the DCP-100 for sound quality?

Yes it is, how much better? I would say very noticeable. The DCP-150 has a more detailed and accurate sound than the DCP-100. It also has a slightly wider soundstage than that of the DCP-100. The DCP-150 has sonic qualities closely approaching that of fullsized CDPs and is the only PCDP vintage and current that I've heard so far that's able to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back