Sony D-211 Resurrected!
Feb 13, 2004 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cor

New Head-Fier
I just got my D-211 back in proper working order. It had a crackling sound in, as it turns out, both the headphone and line-out jacks. I discovered that it was actually the volume knob that was the dirty cog in the works. A little disassembly and some contact spray was all it took to toast that problem. It also had tracking issues so bad that it couldn't play the first tracks on longer CD's. Thanks to LamerDeluxe's pot adjustment guide I got that sorted out. The rechargeable battery no longer holds a charge unfortunately so I'm running it on normal AA batteries at the moment.

I'd also like to thank Duncan for alerting me to the fact that it wasn't mere nostalgia that made me think this little baby was the best discman I've ever owned!

I went and looked through my old boxes and I actually found the original box the D-211 came in! Not only that, but the instruction manual, a line out cable (still in shrink-wrap), various pamphlets, the stock buds (I think), and a plastic car mounting plate! (All stock!) The only thing that seems to be missing is the remote... I have no idea where I put that sucker. I'll have to look for it some more.

Now, this little baby does sound as wonderful as I remember, and it has pretty darned strong output. At minimum volume it's louder than my iPod is at about 1/2 volume! However, I just don't listen to CD's anymore. I have a nice stereo at home and I pretty much use the iPod whenever I'm not at home. It's nice to have this little piece of my history back the way I remember it, but I honestly have no use for it!

So, my question is this: Now that Duncan has moved onto greener PCDP's, is there still a market for D-211's? If I decided to sell this one, given the condition that it's in, what could I expect to get?

Feb 13, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm not sure what you would get... but I'll give ya $20 for it! I just bought my first sony PCDP- D-11... now i want a collection of them! How does the 211 sound compared to the other ones?

Feb 13, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball
According to this thread

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=60742

$100+. It really depends when you sell it and how many people are looking for one. Vintage PCDPs can go pretty high when they're in high demand.

Agreed, prices for vintage PCDPs fluctuate on a week to week basis. One week a set up like yours can easily net $100+, the following week it might have a hard time just trying to get $50. All depends who's in the market for a D-211.

Feb 13, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 5
I thnk there are still Sony collectors out there who are collectors first and audiophiles second (or not at all).

Having the box and all the original accessories will improve the value with the collecting crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back