Sony D-211 or Denon DCP-150 for headphone out sound quality
May 11, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 7
IMO the DCP-150 has a better headphone out sound quality. While the D-211 headphone out packs quite a bit of slam with excellent detail and soundstage, the DCP-150 has as much slam but with a bigger soundstage and a higher level of detail than that of the D-211.

May 11, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 7
Damn, my Sony D-211 lost for the best headphone out sound quality. What a shock. I happened to buy two more of the brand new D-211s from eBay thinking that they are the best, but they are not. What a waste of money.
mad.gif

May 11, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by waltchan
Damn, my Sony D-211 lost for the best headphone out sound quality. What a shock. I happened to buy two more of the brand new D-211s from eBay thinking that they are the best, but they are not. What a waste of money.
mad.gif

Hey dude, dont get down on yourself, you also need to consider what you paid for those d211's in relation to how much you would need to fork over for a denon dcp150. The 211 sounds wonderful from the headphone out, and is a great value as far as vintage pcdps go. Yeah the denon is the badass of them all, but i hope you and your wallet have a good forgiving relationship

May 11, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 7
So, is the Sony D-211 rated second best for best headphone sound quality after the Denon DCP-150? If I do get the Denon DCP-150, will I hear a major, moderate, or minor difference of headphone out sound quality between the D-211 and DCP-150?

Walter Chan

May 12, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 7
Walt,

As reckstar24 had mentioned earlier don't beat your self on getting D-211. It is by no means a vintage PCDP with a so so headphone out and I don't think that you had wasted your money at all. I have mines and will not part with it. There are times with certain music when I don't want all the detail or huge soundstage from the DCP-150. Times like these I want a PCDP that will deliver enough slam and detail to make listening fun and not critical. The D-211 fits this bill perfectly, besides with the price you pay for a DCP-150 you can purchase 3 complete D-211 with original box and papers. The D-211 next to the D-311 IMO are the most detailed and accurate sounding vintage PCDP in Sony's line up, with the D-211 as mentioned by many having a better headphone out of the two.

Everyone has their opinion on which PCDP has the best headphone out, I own a DCP-150 and the opinion stated by me is mines alone. Someone else who owns a DCP-150 and D-211 may have a different opinion than mines and that's fine. What really matters in the end is that you have found a PCDP that has good sounding headphone out and one that is well within your budget. No sense in pouring all your money on a DCP-150 if in the end you feel the sonic qualities between the two isn't worth the price difference.

As for the level of headphone out difference between the D-211 and DCP-150 I would say both have about an equal amount of slam with quite a bit of bass. As far as the level of detail, accuracy, and soundstage I would say that there is a major difference between the two with the DCP-150 being the better of the two. The level of detail, accuracy, and soundstage out of the DCP-150 IMO approqaches that of fullsize CDPs. The DCP-150 is the only PCDP that I've heard so far that sounds nearest to a fullsized PCDP, however it doesn't by any means surpasses it in sound quality. It just narrows the gap between the PCDPs and fullsize CDP more than any other PCDP that I've had the opportunity to listen to or own.

May 12, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Its all a matter of relativity...

As much as I would like to own a Denon (heck, i've owned most other Discmans!!) I don't think I would dare to... Whilst the D211 is arguably not the best there is, as has been mentioned - in terms of price, I know which one i'd rather drop to the floor if there was an accident...

...and if you're looking at them for home use, you can probably get a much better sounding full sized old school player for the same cash as the value of an D211 anyway...

Don't feel blue about owning several D211s
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back