Sony D-211 or D-555? Which one has a better headphone out sound quality?
Apr 4, 2005 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

waltchan

New Head-Fier
I am considering either the Sony D-211 or the D-555, and I wonder which one of the two has a better headphone sound output? Thanks for your help.

Walter Chan

Apr 4, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 7
IMO the D-211 has a better headphone out than the D-555. The D-211 is one of Sony's most accurate and detailed vintage PCDP besides the D-311. Some will also tell you that the D-211 has a headphone out that is even slightly better than that of the D-311. D-555 isn't one of Sony's better sounding PCDP compared to the D-211 or D-311. The D-555 sounds good but not for what prices it commands on Ebay, for the price you pay for a D-555 you could have easily purchased a D-211 or D-311 and save a few bucks extra.

The only drawback about the D-211 is that it is built of plastic and feel sort of cheap and flimsy while the D-555 id built of metal that feels solid and looks sexy compared to the D-211. Depspite the D-211 being made of plastic I've never heard of one or owned one where it fell apart, it is still a sturdy PCDP. The D-555 also looks totally cool with two lcd screens and buttons to adjust it's graphic eq. Despite it looks and features the D-555 doesn't have a better headphone out than the D-211.

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 7
One more question, if anyone is to compare with a D-211, D-303, D-313, and D-505 together, which one of the four has a better headphone out sound quality? Besides the Sony D-211, is there any other Sony portable CD player that has a better headphone out sound quailty than the D-211, or is the D-211 totally has the best headphone out sound quality? How about other brands? Thanks for your help.

Walter Chan

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 7
I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the other PCDP's you have mentioned except the D-303 which I also own. The D-303 also has a decent headphone out but not as powerful as the D-211. Though in my opinion the D-303 may not be as accurate or detailed sounding as the D-211 it does offer a rich and smooth sound. The D-211 to me has more slam thru the headphone out over the D-303 but the D-303 sounds a bit smoother.

I guess it would depend on how critical you are when you are listening to your PCDP and what type of music you listen to. I personally would be more than happy with either the D-211 or tha D-303 depending on which is cheaper at the time I make my purchase.

Apr 6, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 7
The D211 to my ears (and you can read my huge review 'upstairs' to get an idea of how I like my sound) bests the D555 and D303 - and pretty much all other Sony players ever made - from its headphone output.

There is only one player that I've heard that (to my ears) has a better output... The Philips AZ6831
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 7
if i would buy a sony, i would buy the D-Z555. for a reasonable price ofcourse. because this player has the most beautifull looks.

for sound-quality i would search for other brands; philips, denon or perhaps a special JVC.

personally, i find the sony's too colored.

btw, when you have a good cdp, you can't go back anymore.

Apr 7, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Have any of you try a Kenwood portable CD player, especially the older models? How they are rated for sound quality? Kenwood does have some reputation on sound quality. I have a 1993 Kenwood DCP-341, and I think that it has a strong headphone out sound quality, but I'm not sure how it is actually rated. It has five settings of equalizer (Xtra Bass, Live, Rock, Pop, Flat, and regular). It sounds better than my Sony D-EJ01 player. What surpises me is that no one wants to try a Kenwood and perform it in the test. I wonder why?

Walter Chan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back