Sony D-171 Has Anyone Ever Heard One?
May 10, 2002 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
I took a chance on a Sony D-171 CD player on ebay. Has anyone ever heard one? Any ideas as to what I should expect?

May 10, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 6
The only thing that I can really tell you is that it is a 1993 vintage... pretty much top of the range for the time...

If its the same as the 121 that I used to have, you'll find a splashy treble, and a bottom end that would sooner distort than play cleanly...

that being said, i'd have thought there would be a better amp in the higher spec model (isn't there always?)... so, I'm not really going to pass judgement

Thanks

May 14, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
you'll find a splashy treble, and a bottom end that would sooner distort than play cleanly...
Thanks

I received the Sony today, and gave a listen using the Stax SR-001 portable. Duncan, I agree with you on both points--detailed, but somewhat splashy treble (keeping in mind that the effect would have been worse with my Ety 4Ss because the Stax roll off the top end), bottom end almost non-existant.

May 14, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 6
What IC were you using? I have a d-9 on the way and might profit from your experience. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2002 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 6
I was using the Markertek IC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back