Sony D-15 vs. D-25
May 18, 2003 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 15
I'd be interested in knowing the same.
I have both players and I've yet to be able to discern the difference, aside from the shell color, and the text on the D-25 stating 4x oversampling.

- Hugh

May 22, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

What are you talking about ?
Going to 11 what ??

That would be a Spinal Tap reference.
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
That would be a Spinal Tap reference.
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

ahh yes,
at least that reply had a thread of clever humor in it.
the previous reply, is another story..

May 22, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by SFbayArch
I'd be interested in knowing the same.
I have both players and I've yet to be able to discern the difference, aside from the shell color, and the text on the D-25 stating 4x oversampling.

- Hugh

So does one sound better than the other?

Jun 2, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 15
Just received a white/silver D-15 today. Wow, what a beauty. The case is absolutely identical to the D-25, just the bulge on the lid is a different shape and a little smaller. Haven't had a chance for more than a quick listen, but sound is great. At first glance I'd say it may have a slight edge over the D-25. A little more transparent, with a tad more impact in the lower registers. May all be me hallucinating, though, I'm going to do a careful comparison to my other players later.

Jun 2, 2003 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 15
I am also going to do a side by side listening test with these two players in the near future.

I am curious about the D-10 though. Are these extremely rare or what? Both I and a good friend of mine bought these back in '86 and he may still have his. At least I hope he does. If so, I will compare that as well. Of course the D-10 has that flat external battery pack that you can't buy anymore so you can't carry it around (although it would still qualify as transportable). Without the battery pack, the D-10 was extremely thin, probably thinner than the D-25 or D-15. It got quite a bit of attention back when most other people were still using cassette players.

I suspect that all of these players are going to have that "thin" sound that I don't particularly care for, but I will see.

Edit: looks like I won't be doing that listening test after all.

Jun 3, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 15
Ok, so I've popped the hood of both players. Virtually identical on the inside as well, the only difference is that the D-15 uses a PCM60P DAC, while the D-25 features a PCM66P (AFAIK the same beast in a different package) and a digital filter, which the D-15 doesn't have. So it appears like D-25=D-15+4xoversampling.
While technologically, the 25 should be superior, I'm still not sure sonically. The 25's presentation seems a little more forward and brighter, which I don't always like...

Jun 6, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 15
Peter,

Any further thoughts about the sound of the two units - or comparisons of the D-15 with other players?

I'm curious because my sister recently gave me the D-15 I gave her for Xmas '88. I compared it with my Optimus 3400 through a Total AirHead and Senn HD580. Sounded quite nice to me though the 3400, on good recordings, provided a smoother presentation with more dimensionality, sense of space and depth, when I A-B'ed them.

I'm not an audiophile and don't have much experience with comparing components, especially through phones. Back when I was putting together my speaker outfit, I had trouble hearing differences between similarly priced sources and amplifiers that were considered 'good' by the audiophile press. So it was kind of neat to actually be able to detect the different sound between these portables. Must mean that my middle age hearing isn't shot altogether!

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear your further impressions of the D-15 compared to other sources you might have. I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has had the chance to compare the D-15 (or D-25 for that matter) with the 3400.

Best,
Beau

Jun 6, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 15
Can't help you with the Optimus, the only one I know stopped working about 5 years ago...
Besides the D-15 I have a 25,33 and 35. Will try to give them a closer listen this weekend, stay tuned...

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 15
That is good for a laugh. I read the thread and then looked at the dates. Hello, can we say bringing up some old news? I did this on another forum some time back and they acted like I had killed someone. 

So you are asking about some players that were old 8 years ago. I have the 25 and many others but in storage. The 303 was the best sounding, IMO as they still were putting in some nice amp sections. I like the players with optical out but then I use iRivers now with optical out and have so many more choices. 

edit: I also just noticed this is a 1st post. Strange 1st and questionable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back