Sony CE595 Digital Out!
Apr 18, 2007 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Morph201

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anyone provide me with info\impressions of using the Digital (optical) out of the Sony ce595 with an external DAC? I'm currently running into a situation where I want to use the DAC on my OPERA, but of course it takes a coax, and the Sony has an optical out! So I would need a optical to s/pdif converter.... otherwise the OPERA's DAC would be going to waste!!

But, was wondering if that would introduce SQ degredation? Is it worth it? Or should I just invest in a cdp with a coax out?

frown.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 16
It's a nice player, but I really don't want to invest anymore than I have to.... If I can't connect the cpd and external dac via a cable then I might as well put it up for sale....
frown.gif
*sigh* back to the PC as a transport (USB)!

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 16
Hey Morph...your PM box is full...
wink.gif

Under the Knowledge Base tab on the Monoprice website for the item, it specifically mentions the power supply IS included...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_i d=2948%>&seq=1&format=6#faq

-Doug

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Morph...your PM box is full...
wink.gif

Under the Knowledge Base tab on the Monoprice website for the item, it specifically mentions the power supply IS included...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_i d=2948%>&seq=1&format=6#faq

-Doug

Perfect! then I'm all set... I ordered the player off of ecost.com, I miss the 10 dollar coupon link, else I would have gotten it for $73.00 (2nd day air, although it arrived next day!
biggrin.gif
). The carousel mechanism seems to be sturdy enough, it makes a faint noise when rotating to the next disc, but it doesn't sound like it's going to fall apart! The SQ of the redbook player is very good, I'm just curious as to how it will sound using the Opera's DAC instead. I didn't get a chance to audition the SACD portion, since the two SACD's I purchased were 50 year old recordings, so there was some recording hiss in the background, but the detail\clarity was still pretty good! It's definitely a bargain at this price!

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 16
Picked up a used CE595 and tried the optical/coaxial converter from monoprice.com. I couldn't tell the difference between the optical out from the CE595 directly to my Zhaolu optical in vs. the optical out from the CE595 to the converter then to my Zhaolu dig coax in. The converter adds more crap behind my desk but oh well...
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 16
I had a Sony CE595. I used it with Zhaolu 2.0 via optical out, and was pretty happy. But after I got a Optimus CD-3400, I found out that the CD3400 sounds far better via coxial out with zhaolu, so I sold CE595. IMHO, CE595 is a decent budget source, but it is not worth of any further investment.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. IMHO, CE595 is a decent budget source, but it is not worth of any further investment.

I think i agree. The redbook of the CE595 was too dark for my taste. Even with a DAC, it did not impress me that much. Personally, I don't think it's worth owning, even if the SACD is good.

I used to like this player but after hearing it for a while, I really don't like it anymore. IMO, the digital out is not that great. I wouldn't mind getting rid of it actually, now that I think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back