Sony CD3k's best for under $500
Apr 22, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
imo, CD3000 is probably one of the best all-around performing headphone for under $500 as well. There are other ATH headphones within that range, but they all have characteristics and strength that doesn't give them an "overall" superiority (i.e., might have better performance for certain instrument, certain genre, but not overall, always better than CD3000, where CD3000 is consistently better in most areas). ATH headphones do look much nicer though
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with what was stated above by lindrone. I have the ATH-W100, W1000, and CD3000 and they are all superior cans in their own right. The AT's IMO sounds awesome while listening to jazz and classical music when paired up with good amp. The CD3K's IMO sounds awesome with almost all types of music, and in this case I have them paired up with a Perreaux SXH-1. To me the CD3K's does a better job over the Woodies in dance and rock music. The AT Woodies are hands down got to be one of the sexiest line up of cans ever made besides the R10.

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 30
IMO, Sennheiser HD-650's do Classical and Jazz a lot better than the CD3000's. The 3000's large soundstage tends to muck up the majority of classical recordings I have listened to, the Senn's bass response is much deeper and more succinct than that of the 3000's, and instrument seperation seemed to be slightly better on the 650's. Also, the 3000's harsh treble response requires EQ or tube/amp rolling...

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue
Also, the 3000's harsh treble response requires EQ or tube/amp rolling...

When properly matched up with a good source (it's more source than amp, I think), CD3000's aren't harsh at all. They do have a very articulated treble response, but it's anything but "harsh". It's less harsh than the HD280, V6, SR-325, and many other headphones that are considered to be harsh in one way or another.

You should be able to get a smooth and articulated high-end, as long as you're aware of what to get to pair up with the CD3000. You don't have to do a massive amount of opamp and tube rolling either.

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
The Sony's have powerful treble, but its not harsh.

If you want to argue about it, I'd say the 650's are overly smoothed in a way that sounds artificial
tongue.gif

In that case, I prefer artificial over gunshot in the ear piercing
600smile.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue
IMO, Sennheiser HD-650's do Classical and Jazz a lot better than the CD3000's. The 3000's large soundstage tends to muck up the majority of classical recordings I have listened to, the Senn's bass response is much deeper and more succinct than that of the 3000's, and instrument seperation seemed to be slightly better on the 650's. Also, the 3000's harsh treble response requires EQ or tube/amp rolling...

Harsh may be a bit strong. But I in general I agree with everything your saying here.

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

When properly matched up with a good source (it's more source than amp, I think), CD3000's aren't harsh at all. They do have a very articulated treble response, but it's anything but "harsh". It's less harsh than the HD280, V6, SR-325, and many other headphones that are considered to be harsh in one way or another.

You should be able to get a smooth and articulated high-end, as long as you're aware of what to get to pair up with the CD3000. You don't have to do a massive amount of opamp and tube rolling either.

What source out there tames these phones(Cd3000)? I've tried them with several different CDP's all known for being smooth and non-fatiguing and the treble of the CD3000 always has times that just are not very much fun. I liked these phones alot but after time the treble always seemed to start bothering me. The two times I liked them the best were with the ASL OTL32 with RCA Cleartops, and with the SDS and a straight set of Sylvania VT-231's. I think some times people confuse exaggerated treble with alot of detail. I think the CD3000 has both of them going on.

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Harsh may be a bit strong. But I in general I agree with everything your saying here.

Having not heard the HD650's yet, unless Sennheiser did something radically different from the 600's to have them image better, the CD3000 absolutely spanks the HD600 as far as imaging and soundstage is concerned. There really is something to angled drivers. I noticed that the new 555 and 595 have angled drivers as well.

The soundstage of the CD3000 does seem a little "warped" and feels a little artifcially expanded(almost a weird "wrap around" feeling, vs. being wide, CD3000's have an almost "holographic 3-D" sound, which is not a bad thing), but I'm nitpicking because I'm spoiled by the R10's. For the price, the CD3000's are tough to beat. They are tres comfortable too. Especially the headband. They are also surprisingly lightweight.

-Ed

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Having not heard the HD650's yet, unless Sennheiser did something radically different from the 600's to have them image better, the CD3000 absolutely spanks the HD600 as far as imaging and soundstage is concerned. There really is something to angled drivers. I noticed that the new 555 and 595 have angled drivers as well.

Nope, the CD3000 spanks the HD650 in the soundstaging department just like it spanked the 580/600. This is one area for me, where there is no competition from those phones, and never will be (IMO of course).

Tom, I have actually admitted in the past I thought the HD650 was more detailed than the CD3000, and I stand by that statement. I realise a brighter sound is not to be confused with detail. The main reason I like the CD3000 over the HD650 is because it sounds much more lively, brighter, faster and dynamic to these ears. Obviously as a result, fatigue can occur in some people, I would concede.

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #26 of 30
I'm using CD3000 coming out of a modded Sony CE775 myself with an Emmeline HR-2, and it is very smooth and detailed sounding. Perhaps I have more tolerance for treble than some other people out there. Keep in mind I didn't like the treble harshness on HD280, V6, SR-80, SR-325, even Ety ER-4 (not enough balance with bass, imo).

I have also heard the CD3000 coming out of a NAD 541i w/ Gilmore V2, sounded just fine to me. Modded Sony 222ES w/ MPX3 and just about any tubes that my roommate had his hands on (of course, I didn't keep track, they weren't my amp anyway). I even tried them with JMT PPA connected to a Lynn Ikemi at the meet, and they were still just fine to my ears.

However, Sennheiser's headphones are the ones with the least amount of treble sharpness out of all the headphones out there. So if Sennheiser's sound signature is what you like, most likely all other headphones out there is too sharp (except for maybe the Shure E5c).

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #27 of 30
If only sony would re-enter the CD3000 price range like they're doing to succeed the R-10 with the Qualia, then maybe the CD3000 would come down in price. I'm really keen to hear the 3000, I think I'm really starting to need a bit more fizz 'n bang.

edit: oops, I meant to post this in the best buy thread.

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #29 of 30
Powering the CD3000 to an appropriate volume listening level takes very, very little power. On my iPod it's only around 50% of the volume.. maybe 60% before it gets too loud.

The question is properly delivering signals (good warm source) and an amp that can deliver good sound signature & details.

You can literally run the thing straight out of a CD player.

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Powering the CD3000 to an appropriate volume listening level takes very, very little power. On my iPod it's only around 50% of the volume.. maybe 60% before it gets too loud.

The question is properly delivering signals (good warm source) and an amp that can deliver good sound signature & details.

You can literally run the thing straight out of a CD player.

Thanks for your quick reply.
biggrin.gif
That's good to know because I will ten to one get the phones before I get an amp. My inbetween plan is to have my computer output to a receiver (I have an old arse one layin round), and then just go though that. I've tried it out with my e1's and it cleans up the signal alot (almost 0 noise) my computers output isn't the cleanest :/. I'm pickin up a turtle beach card from a friend soon so that should be an improvement.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back