Sony CD3k and AT W1000
Jan 28, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 34
I have not heard the Sony CD 3000, but a lot of people on here that have heard them paired with the right amp, perhaps the Earmax Pro, Micro Zotl, or the RKV say they sound great. Check the review section, Markl has a really good review of the CD 3000. I have the A 1000, which I imagine is close to the W 1000. If the W 1000 is like the A 1000, then they are not picky about amplification and I think they sound great. I would speculate that if you are interested in getting a really good amp then get the CD 3000, but if an amp is not in your plans the W 1000 would be the better choice.

Jan 28, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 34
Kieran Comito
HI: I have the ATH-A1000 and they do sound great with almost any source . I also found out they also great with almost any amp. Now I have a high tone amp and the A1000 sound even better than ever. These headphones are very versatile and the better the amp the better the sound. Now With the Max Out META42 they are awesome and with the GILMORE amp they are beyond awesome incredible breathless. They just knock your socks off. LOL. If you keep these headphones I feel you are done with any headphone upgrade. Then work on your amp and source

Jan 28, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 34
Hmm, that's a really interesting theory.

Edit: I just realized that they are both low impedance cans. Is Sony CD3k completely open? I know A/W 1000 are semiclosed. correct me if I am wrong.

Jan 28, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 34
The A/W1000 are closed but I don't think they isolate quite as well as say the HD280's. I don't know where this semi closed stuff has popped up from all of a sudden.

I believe the CD3000's are also closed.

Jan 28, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 34
elnero
HI: This semi closed thing came from the fact that the closed headphones don't leak any sound. This semi closed thing comes from the fact that the headphones are closed but do leak some sound. The ATH-A1000 do leak some sound but I think it just adds to the sound stage, plus they don't get as hot. Its not a full tight seal. Great for long sessions.

Jan 28, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 34
Lou,

I know what you mean, I just got my W100's today and have had them on most of the day. I assumed the fit is similar. I didn't notice that they leaked any but I did notice that I could hear a lot more outside noise.

Jan 28, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 34
Guys,
I'm wondering which will be better of the two as well. In the future, I'm planning on getting the CD3000.

Purk

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 34
Sorry...I have no experience with the CD3000s...
But I have to say how happy I am with my W1000's that just arrived in their white plasticized-paper bag a few hours ago. I'm not surprized at all about the dramatic impovement they are over my TD/60's
wink.gif
... but I still am amazed at their clarity and detail. Right now I'm listening to 'Alison Krauss and Union Station Live'. Comparing them with my old phones provides me with a perfect illustration of muddled sound (from the TD/60s of course). I've only begun to burn them in (total about 4 hours) so to think that they will get better makes this session that much better. My choice for the AT's was to some extent based on the my uncertainty over when I would be able to aquire an amp. Also, I was looking for something closed to isolate me from typical "house-sounds" while listening. It's true that the AT's do not seal perfectly, but I agree with Lou that this most likely just enhances the sound. Couldn't be happier at the moment.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #10 of 34
Bongo
HI: Congrats on your new ATs. All they really need is a good 20 hour burn in and you are ready to listen. My A1000 have over 200 hours burn in because I just got a new amp and new ICs and had to burn in the ICs for 100 hours so I thought why not burn in the A1000 again for another 100 hours. I hope you get much pleasure out of the cans. Good luck

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Bongo
My choice for the AT's was to some extent based on the my uncertainty over when I would be able to aquire an amp.

Are you saying that you are using W1000 w/o an amp?

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 34
I own the w1000's and got to listen to the cd3000's for a bit at the recent bay area meet. i tried both from several different amps, including a wheatfield ha-1, sugden headmaster, gilmore, and 'maxout' meta42. both steinie and i agreed that the two sound somewhere in the same league with eachother -- that is to say, the basic characteristics of both are similar. the cd3000 paired with the wheatfield sounded really nice -- the details at the top were all there and really present. using diana krall as a reference, the details were really crisp and i noticed myself thinking a couple times, perhaps just a smidgen too much. the w1000 paired with the wheatfield were also very detailed, but felt a little more cohesive... that is to say, with the cd3000 i noticed separation and details and the instruments sort of jumped out at me more. the w1000 kind of brought me more of a picture of everything together, all at once. both phones were very close to eachother, however -- i feel like the cd3000 was maybe a bit airier and detailed, while the w1000 a tad bit more cohesive. comparing on the other amps, the sugden, the meta42, and the gilmore, the differences were less apparent (and also listening to squarepusher, live electronic music with lots of crisp and unusual samples -- think aphex twin-like).

in terms of comfort -- the cd3000 wins out for me here -- as the cups are totally circumaural around my large ears, yet the headphones remain almost as light as the w1000.

in terms of aesthetics, the w1000 wins out for me here, with the wooden beauty and the head tabs just looking really cool.

in terms of sound -- both are great. i would have to say that they are very comparable with eachother, and the basic characteristics sounded pretty similar. i think different gear will sound different through both headphones, as well. the cd3000 were perhaps a weensy bit airier through the wheatfield.

i'll be posting more impressions at some later point in time in the bay area impressions thread (in the member's lounge).

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
both steinie and i agreed that the two sound somewhere in the same league with eachother -- that is to say, the basic characteristics of both are similar. the cd3000 paired with the wheatfield sounded really nice -- the details at the top were all there and really present. using diana krall as a reference, the details were really crisp and i noticed myself thinking a couple times, perhaps just a smidgen too much. the w1000 paired with the wheatfield were also very detailed, but felt a little more cohesive... that is to say, with the cd3000 i noticed separation and details and the instruments sort of jumped out at me more. the w1000 kind of brought me more of a picture of everything together, all at once. both phones were very close to eachother, however -- i feel like the cd3000 was maybe a bit airier and detailed, while the w1000 a tad bit more cohesive. comparing on the other amps, the sugden, the meta42, and the gilmore, the differences were less apparent (and also listening to squarepusher, live electronic music with lots of crisp and unusual samples -- think aphex twin-like).
in terms of sound -- both are great. i would have to say that they are very comparable with eachother, and the basic characteristics sounded pretty similar. i think different gear will sound different through both headphones, as well. the cd3000 were perhaps a weensy bit airier through the wheatfield.

i'll be posting more impressions at some later point in time in the bay area impressions thread (in the member's lounge).

Interesting impressions, LobsterSan, especially the part concerning the cohesiveness of the presentation. Many have noticed this with other high-end wooden ATs. This would lead me to speculate that the W1000 probably adds a little more warmth and body while the CD3Ks are more extended and bright in their presentation. I have noticed this cohesiveness among other wooden headphones like the RS-1, W100 and W1000. The R10 is probably also very cohesive in its presentation as well in tone and soundstage.

BTW, do you have any additional impressions on the soundstage width/depth and imaging between the two headphones? How about the low bass response and quality of bass texture between them?

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 34
Lou...Thanks for the welcome.

JahJahBinks... Yes, I have been enjoying the W1000 all evening w/o an amp. They really so sound quite nice. Its apparent (from Lou's experience and others) that a good amp will only make things better. I must admit, I haven't been listening through decent cans lately, so my experience is just gong to have to grow along with the AT's.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 34
I'm not sure whether he'll be willing to do it on minimal listening time, but radrd's coming over sometime to listen to my CD3000s, and he's got a pair of W1000s... so maybe he'll be willing to post some thoughts?

I'd rather not listen to another pair of cans I might like... [for now.]
very_evil_smiley.gif

But maybe.. just maybe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back