Sony CD300's... are they THAT big?
Apr 2, 2003 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

pikawel

500+ Head-Fier
Would I look like an ******* if I wore CD3K's to work? I work amongst hundreds of middle aged women at the post office. I've worn many Audio-Technicas to work including the ATH-W100 and I'm not normally one to care about looks...

BUT

These headphones DO look ******* gigantic.

Also, I've seen people question the build quality which is definitely something I'm factoring in after the A1000 pivot incident. Is there a cause for concern? If you owned these, would you allow them outside of the home? If you allowed them outside the home... would you take them to work?

Apr 2, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 24
radrd,
They are very very big....but, well...the sound quality all make up for it. Plus...it works wonder with portable sources.

Purk

Apr 2, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 24
GO FOR IT!!! I own them and if all you are worried about is someone pointing and laughing, don't worry about it. You'll be enjoying some of the best sounding cans around while they listen to elevator music thru some cheapo junky speakers. Let them laugh. If I worked in that environment I'd wear mine given the chance. They'd laugh until you let them hear what they sounded like. Then they'd want to borrow them.

Apr 2, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 24
I didn't say they sound bad, just farkin huge.
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2003 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 24
Ahhhh... when is AT's next line due? Is there a www.headphonenews.com? Do I know what fabulous product will come out in the next three months? Will Beyerdynamic release a badass closed phone to match the 880?

Ultimately,

Can I join Team Broke?

Apr 2, 2003 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 24
I think it's safe to say only Sennheiser can be expected to release a significant new phone over this year. A-T have released all the new models which won't be replaced for a couple of years, and Beyer have revamped their range.

It is always possible that A-T will be releasing a limited edition "Company director's cousin's brother-in-law's grandmother's 80th anniversary" phone sometime this year but it's likely that only people like me will buy it, no?

Apr 2, 2003 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 24
AT just released their A/W1000 cans in December, so they're not due for another set of cans for a while.

Beyer released their 880s in like Feb, so they might not be releasing anything else for a little while either.

Sony MAY replace the CD3K in the future, but there's been no news yet. If they discontinue things they release new things pretty soon there after.

So far, I haven't heard anything from these other manufacturers that does as much as well as the Sonys. If they did I'd own them instead of my Sonys. Brand loyalty ends when something better comes along. Period! I love the Sonys, but would sell them off and get something better given the chance.

Apr 2, 2003 at 8:40 AM Post #10 of 24
ServinginEcuador,
Sony seems to hold on to their flagship phones for quite awhile. Sony MDR-CD3000 is almost 10 years old (correct me if I'm wrong). Recently, they've just discontinued their Sony mdr-E888, their best earbuds, which is 8 years old. The V6 also has been around foreover. Who knows....the CD3K might lives as long as the V6. Remember that when sony revises their phones and introduce the MDR-Vcrap series..I hope that won't happen to the CD3K.

PUrk

Apr 2, 2003 at 9:25 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
ServinginEcuador,
Sony seems to hold on to their flagship phones for quite awhile. Sony MDR-CD3000 is almost 10 years old (correct me if I'm wrong). Recently, they've just discontinued their Sony mdr-E888, their best earbuds, which is 8 years old. The V6 also has been around foreover. Who knows....the CD3K might lives as long as the V6. Remember that when sony revises their phones and introduce the MDR-Vcrap series..I hope that won't happen to the CD3K.

PUrk

Yeah, let's all hope the new releases, when they come out, are an improvement over what's already out there. Sometimes I don't understand the thinking of some companies. They remove something good off the market, and replace it with a piece of junk. Why? Do they think we won't notice or care? It only hurts their reputation, and causes people to buy other brands just because of these types of decisions.

Yes, the CD3K has been around almost 8-10 years, but pretty soon they will need to update it and replace it with something better. I wish they would take input on what to change and improve upon this incredible design. With just a could of changes this thing would beat nearly anything near it's price range.

Apr 2, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 24
Yeah, farkin huge about sums it up.

They are the only cans that I own that I can see in my peripheral vision on both sides at once. I feel like I am being followed by a car with both doors open.

They sound pretty good, but I doubt that I will ever bring them to work. So far my best go to work cans are the DT250, followed closely by the DT770. The Etys get used when I think that I can get away with it for more than 30 minutes without interruption. Rare indeed.

Later

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back