Sony CD2000 or mdr F1
Nov 9, 2003 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ImMersion

100+ Head-Fier
No one ever compares these two....which sounds better in general

anyone have any comments or a mini review?

Nov 9, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 14
I can't compare the two, I've never heard the CD2000. But the F1 is one comfortable headphone, let me assure you of that. I think the sound is perfectly reasonable, but others disagree. But if you are like me, and weight comfort as being as important as sound, these deserve a serious look.

Nov 9, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 14
to me, the f1 doesn't sound all that great. not much bass either. sold it to hirsch. he loves it. maybe pm him.

but definately doesn't sound anything like your cd2000, if it's anything like the cd3000. doesn't have the detail nor the bass.

but there's plenty who like the sound..... so i dunno.

but one thing for sure, it is the most comfortable headphone i have ever used. kinda regret selling it, cause it was great for video games.

Nov 9, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 14
I was disappointed with the MDR-F1 - it just sounded thin.
frown.gif

And I own a pair of the MDR-CD2000. At first I liked that 'phone - but listening to that 'phone now, it sounds (to my ears) like the mediocre Sennheiser (HD-580/HD-600) wannabe that Sony had ultimately come up with.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 14
I've tried the F1 with the RKV + Impedanzer and I've found the bass performance to be weak. Slightly disappointed.

Nov 9, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 14
so how good are the 2000's compared to these?

how are they (2000) compared to the 3000?

Nov 9, 2003 at 8:05 AM Post #7 of 14
never heard cd2000 before but I don't anyone has ever likened the cd2k to the cd3k.. they're in totally different league.. justlike cd3k compared to the r10.
I've heard the F1. I thought they are not bad, but are certainly not worth paying the full retail price. If they're around 100-150, it's a good buy.Very comfortable cans with good and very airy soundstage and at the same time very relaxing performance.

Nov 9, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 14
And I had thought my purchase of the Sony CD2000 was the end-all to my quest for a super-comfy pair of headphones that are unamped-portable-player-friendly AND sound great (not just good). Unfortunately, such a headphone that fully meets my criteria doesn't exist at all. Given great sound quality, I had to settle for either a terribly uncomfy pair of headphones that are portable-audio-friendly, or a super-comfy pair that requires a huge, ultra-expensive amp just to get any sound at all whatsoever. Also, if super-comfy and portable-friendly are both what I'm after, I would have to settle for relatively crappy sound. And, as it turned out, the CD2000 is a mediocre imitator of those high-end Senns that are so acclaimed in the press.

Using a stock-cabled pair of the Sennheiser HD600 as a reference, I've found the CD2000's bass response to be a bit hollow: Whereas the HD600 delivers a reasonable balance between the low bass and the mid-bass, the CD2000 favours the low bass at the expense of the mid-bass. The mids on both phones are almost equal to each other, but the highs on the CD2000 are recessed and a bit grainy and undetailed compared to those of the HD600. The differences are slight, but clearly audible. Sure, the CD2000 is super-comfy, and are efficient enough for use with most portable players - but those are the only two advantages that the CD2000 has to offer over the HD600. The HD600 isn't exactly uncomfy, but it puts a bit more pressure on my head than the CD2000. And though the HD600 can work at up to moderate volume levels with most portable players, a decent dedicated headphone amp is strongly recommended for its best sound quality.

Nov 10, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 14
It is hard to get good bass with such an open headphone as the F1. The designers did put in a "bass lens" that is supposed to focus bass sounds, but if you are a bass head, the F1 is probably not the headphone for you. However, the midrange and upper-range, at least to my ears, are reasonably detailed.

Nov 10, 2003 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 14
i had the F1's for awhile...actually, they were my first higher end headphones...and i regret selling them to newspaper guy, but he is enjoying them!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
oh well, i made room for my now Rega Planet 2000...i had no other choice. but anyways, the F1's were awesome phones. their sound was so rich and warm. it was a kind of sound similar to the HD600...you either fall in love or hate them. on my setup, i can control the bass and treble tone controls on my Arcam, so the bass on the F1's were no problem. but on a clean setup with nothing in the middle as far EQ, they were a little on the lean side of things...not so in the mids. the treble was also a lot laid back but warm and dry at the same time...a good kind of dry. it's really hard to explain. all in all though, better headphones can be had for the price of the F1's. and as far as the CD2000 goes, i'm not sure, never heard em...but i'm sure they're decent cans...i think Sony does a pretty goos job with headphones everall
smily_headphones1.gif
i'm just waiting for my funds to open up for a pair of CD3000's...like that's going to ever happen.

Nov 10, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 14
I think the Sony F-1s are conceptually similar to the AKG K 1000s. Has anyone ever compared those two?
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 14
I've heard both the F1 and the K1000. While the K1000 sounds great with the proper amp, the F1 just sounds thin. None of the amps that I tried the F1 with can bring out much if any bass response without severe distortion. I am beginning to agree with Tomo on the F1 - it barely reaches Grado SR-60/SR-80 sound-quality level, for double to triple the Grados' price.

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 14
Looks like the F1s have a BOSElike price/performance ratio.
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
I've heard both the F1 and the K1000. While the K1000 sounds great with the proper amp, the F1 just sounds thin. None of the amps that I tried the F1 with can bring out much if any bass response without severe distortion. I am beginning to agree with Tomo on the F1 - it barely reaches Grado SR-60/SR-80 sound-quality level, for double to triple the Grados' price.

Nov 11, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Altorfer
I think the Sony F-1s are conceptually similar to the AKG K 1000s. Has anyone ever compared those two?
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

i had both. and they sound completely different. not similiar in any way, sound-wise.

however, there are many supporters of the f1 on the net. mostly people who use it for a more "real-world" sound. you can look on google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back