Sony CD-3000's good for metal?
Oct 26, 2003 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Harrath

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to mostly metal (melodic death, symphonic, progressive), and I want a very detailed low impedance set of cans. The CD3000's seem to fit the bill perfectly, I was wondering if any metalheads out there have these phones and what they thought of them.

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 13
I considered the Grados extensively, but I fear the brightness that they're said to have. Is the brightness as harsh as everone claims it is, or are those claims mostly over exaggerated? Looking at their frequency response graphs that they peak at +10 dba at 7k and 10k hz, which seems like it would be fatiguing to me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, the 271s look interesting.

Also, does anyone know if there's a place around the Pittsburgh, PA area that has a wide variety of headphones to audition? I haven't been able to find anywhere that really has high-end cans.

Oct 26, 2003 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 13
The CD3000 does everything right, but IMO and IME this is the best headphone I have heard for metal and rock in general, that is the only kind of music I hear, and opposite to the Grados that are also very good for that (according to other members, especially 325 and 225), the CD3000 is extremelly comfortable, other to consider is the DT770, which I do not like, 7506, 7509, even the unfamous V700DJ, if you can afford the CD3000 I may suggest to go for it blindly (for rock)

Oct 26, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 13
I've had the MS2 not the 325, but I'm sure they must be close. I've had the CD-3000 at the same time and found the Sony's better than the Grados. I'm sure there must be a Grado dealer near you where you can hear them. You might be happy with them and save yourself some money.

Oct 26, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 13
Well, I've owned three cans conseidered "bright" (SR325, HD590, DT770), and I've never had a problem from any of them as far as being "too bright" or too harsh goes. I think a lot of that depends on how good the rest of your system is. Also, many people have complained about the CD3K being bright when not paired with the right (good) gear (this is not an attack, Sovkiller, so please don't fire up your flamethrowers). I think that most of the very detailed cans could be considered bright, save the upper Senns (which many argue have recessed highs).
The best thing you could do is try the various phones out, to find out whether the Grados would be too bright or nt comfortable for you, since these are certainly not problems that everyone will have.

Oct 26, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 13
I've heard metal on (admittedly, someone else's) CD3000's, and they excel. Go for it. You can upgrade with an amp later.

Oct 26, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 13
Iron the problem is that to find a place for a CD3000 audition is not easy unless a meeting, you could try the CD3000 and if you find them inadequate for rock, which I doubt, the resell value is very good, yesterday the only one on the for sale forum, stayed just for 21 minutes and.....sold!!!! The Grados is more easy to get an audition, they are even a lot of dealer that offers money back 30 days for them....

Oct 26, 2003 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Iron the problem is that to find a place for a CD3000 audition is not easy unless a meeting, you could try the CD3000 and if you find them inadequate for rock, which I doubt, the resell value is very good, yesterday the only one on the for sale forum, stayed just for 21 minutes and.....sold!!!! The Grados is more easy to get an audition, they are even a lot of dealer that offers money back 30 days for them....

I guess maybe I wasn't very clear, but all I said was "try them out," by whatever means that takes, including those you mentioned. After going through several sets of cans to find the right ones for me, I am a firm believer in trying out whatever interests you.

Oct 26, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Yes, I understand but I was trying to point out, that to get them and try them at your home, just to try them, is IMO very expensive, considering the prices of CD3000, RS-1, but of course this is the ideal solution, the other less expensive one, is to go out there, and try them at any store, a demo unit, but the CD3000 is excluded of the second option at all....There is no physical stores that carry them, at least not around here....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back