Sony cans only available in Japan?
Mar 5, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #16 of 18
Bob,

If you provide some information on:

you budget
what you want to use the headphones for
the type of equipment you are going to use with the headphones
you listen prefenreces

I think you will probably get a better answer to you questions.

If you are looking for something in a similar price range to the V6 ie: $60-70 try looking at the Audio Technica ATH-A55 (closed - 8900 yen) and ATH-AD5 (open - 8900 yen). I think the ATH-A55 sounds pretty decent.

[Brief info on some commonly found Audio technica Stuff ^_^]
The next model up the ATH-9X (17,800 yen) sounds a little harsh to me. There is also the nice the 40th anniversary ATH-100Ti (26,800 yen) which uses the same drivers as the Wooden ATH-W2002 (80,000 yen) however it lacks the openness of the Wood ATH-2002 or the ATH-W100 (33,000 yen) but the sound clarity is very good (the 100Tis sound is much more directed into your ears]. If you like more conventional closed headphones the 100Ti is nice. However I personally prefer the open sounding feel of the W100 and the W2002.

Then there are the open models of the Audio Techinca but its hard to say much because there is to much background noise to really hear them clearly when I tried them. I think the two best values of the open ones are the ATH-AD7 (12,800 yen - this one in particular) and the ATH-AD9 (20,000 yen). Don't bother with looking at the ATH-AD10 its not worth the extra expense over the AD9.

Try to look at japanese branded heaphones. The imported stuff is quite expensive and it will probably be cheaper to buy Grados, Sennhissers, Beyers, and Koss in the US.

Redshift,

If you walk into most major electronic or A/V store in the Tokyo region you will only find the CD2000 (20,000 yen) and the CD3000 (I think it was 50,000 yen? Maybe its 30,000. I forgot.)

Generally if something is discontinued the big stores try to move them out. You might find them in a specialty store.
I am sure someone, somewhere has some CD1700 left but you will probably find it more convenient to order from Sony directly as you stated you can.

The R10 are very pricey headphones (this is relative ; maybe you consider a few thousand dollars as cheap) even if you say they are "much much cheaper" in Japan. Also they are not so common. I have seen a demo/display unit before (not plugged into anything though) in a small Audiophile store but there was no price on them and I didn't ask. Do you have a price figure on how cheap is much cheaper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back