Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Apr 23, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,132 of 2,543
The SBH 56 comes with the superb MH755! There are Differences in the housing, rubber-cable-protector (where the cable leave the housing) and in the little filter. One of the headfi members here is an expert for this headphone, just scroll back one or two sites to read what he wrote about it shortly. All in all it seems the good sound always stays the same.

May 4, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #2,133 of 2,543
So I own the MH755, EX155ap and EX650ap.

They all sound very similar. If I had to pick one for best sound it would be the EX650ap, it just sounds tighter in the bass department and has cleaner highs than the MH755 and EX155ap.

The EX155ap is better than the MH755 for a few reasons; the cable (albeit thin) is better than the default MH755 cable (obviously). The nozzle is angled and makes for a much more comfortable fit, you can get deeper insertion due to the way the tube is angled. Aesthetically the EX155ap just looks better too.

The EX650ap (12mm driver) is just better in all departments IMO, slightly better cable than the EX155ap (albeit still thin) its like a plastic/cloth mix, the housings are brass and really solid with a little weight to them. The nozzle is longer and made from metal. They are more substantial than the EX155ap and MH755 but just as comfortable as the EX155ap.

I tend to use them with the Sony Hybrid tips which are super comfortable or the Spinfits for deeper insertion.

All are good and all have that Sony sound.

I am surprised there was never much discussion or reviews when it came to the EX650ap, I think they are really good for the price. I don't think they were available in the US though?

Attachments

• IMG_2348.JPG
    IMG_2348.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
  • IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
  • IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2352.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #2,134 of 2,543
So I own the MH755, EX155ap and EX650ap.

They all sound very similar. If I had to pick one for best sound it would be the EX650ap, it just sounds tighter in the bass department and has cleaner highs than the MH755 and EX155ap.

The EX155ap is better than the MH755 for a few reasons; the cable (albeit thin) is better than the default MH755 cable (obviously). The nozzle is angled and makes for a much more comfortable fit, you can get deeper insertion due to the way the tube is angled. Aesthetically the EX155ap just looks better too.

The EX650ap (12mm driver) is just better in all departments IMO, slightly better cable than the EX155ap (albeit still thin), the housings are brass and really solid with a little weight to them. The nozzle is longer and made from metal. They are more substantial than the EX155ap and MH755 but just as comfortable as the EX155ap.

I tend to use them with the Sony Hybrid tips which are super comfortable or the Spinfits for deeper insertion.

All are good and all have that Sony sound.

I am surprised there was never much discussion or reviews when it came to the EX650ap, I think they are really good for the price. I don't think they were available in the US though?
The Sony ex650 is around 60€ in Germany. I never listened to it. The ex155 seems discontinued here. There are only a few offers on Ebay.

May 4, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #2,135 of 2,543
The Sony ex650 is around 60€ in Germany. I never listened to it. The ex155 seems discontinued here. There are only a few offers on Ebay.
Yeah the price varies on the EX650ap, they are listed at £60.00 on the Sony website, I bought them from Amazon UK in 2017 for £38.99. I wouldn't suggest them at this point in time, you can get far better IEMs when it comes to the cable. They still sound great though.

May 5, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #2,139 of 2,543
I heard many IEMs that sound different in comparison, but never really heard an IEM that sound „better“ as the MH750/MH755. Some of them are up to 50 times more expensive (!).
Better is subjective, what I think sounds better, you might not. The MH755 sound great without a doubt, but I do think they sound a bit bloated on the bass side at times, a bit like my old Shure 215s.

If you are happy with the sound of the MH755 I wouldn't spend money hunting for anything better, it will most likely end in failure. You may also just be used to that particular sound and anything else will sound either too bass heavy or too airy to you.

I do think the EX650ap sound better though and have better build quality. But again, that's just my opinion. I wouldn't like you to spend money and be disappointed. (unless you can buy/try/send back)

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,140 of 2,543
Better is subjective, what I think sounds better, you might not. The MH755 sound great without a doubt, but I do think they sound a bit bloated on the bass side at times, a bit like my old Shure 215s.

If you are happy with the sound of the MH755 I wouldn't spend money hunting for anything better, it will most likely end in failure. You may also just be used to that particular sound and anything else will sound either too bass heavy or too airy to you.

I do think the EX650ap sound better though and have better build quality. But again, that's just my opinion. I wouldn't like you to spend money and be disappointed. (unless you can buy/try/send back)
I absolutely agree to that. Its a question of which „sound signature“ seems most comfortable to the ear. I asked because I am really kind od addicted to all kinds of „headphones“. So Im interested in new experiences all the time 🙈 You are right, that there is no really need for me to change the IEM, but maybe I miss something if I stay with my „fovourite“ cans I picked over the years. My opinion: „high fidelity“ never was so affordable as it is in the moment/the last years.

May 5, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #2,141 of 2,543
I absolutely agree to that. Its a question of which „sound signature“ seems most comfortable to the ear. I asked because I am really kind od addicted to all kinds of „headphones“. So Im interested in new experiences all the time 🙈 You are right, that there is no really need for me to change the IEM, but maybe I miss something if I stay with my „fovourite“ cans I picked over the years. My opinion: „high fidelity“ never was so affordable as it is in the moment/the last years.
as it is in the moment/the last years... Hahaha so prophetic :) inspires me to bring out my good ole MH1c for another listen before it all ends :)

May 5, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #2,143 of 2,543
I pulled out my 755’s tonight. I’d forgotten how hard the bass hits. It was kind of awesome after spending a long time listening to the much more accurate, but more tame, z1r.

I don’t think I could listen to these all the time because they’d get tiring after a while but for $5+recabling cost? Sure, why not throw them in every few weeks? They are really fun.

May 6, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #2,144 of 2,543
I pulled out my 755’s tonight. I’d forgotten how hard the bass hits. It was kind of awesome after spending a long time listening to the much more accurate, but more tame, z1r.

I don’t think I could listen to these all the time because they’d get tiring after a while but for $5+recabling cost? Sure, why not throw them in every few weeks? They are really fun.
I just bought a cheap extension for my 755. The cost was about three euros. A cable mod couldn't be made easier, faster or cheaper 😃

May 6, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #2,145 of 2,543
Recabling is so easy though, there's really no reason not to do it. I made sure to get a nice thin cable from AE as I didn't want anything too heavy.

I'd never soldered before, but my brother had a soldering iron and I borrowed that.

My recable cost me £1.19 in total, and the earphones are so much nicer to use because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back