Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Nov 17, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #1,727 of 2,544
So I got that Sony Ericson MH1 today.

At first, I thought something was wrong with it. The second I plugged it in, it sounded quiet, distant, and garbled. Then after about 5 minutes it sounded perfectly normal. I guess sitting around in some warehouse for 10 years maybe caused the diaphragm to get kinda stiff or stick or whatever. It just needed a few minutes to exercise and get unstuck.

Anyways, the tips are awesome, and unlike any other Sony tips I’ve seen. They’re the same shape and color as the MH750 and MH755 tips, but the silicone is softer and stickier, and they are shiny at the bottom of the skirt. The silicone reminds me of the Sony hybrid tips (the black ones with the pastel colored cores). And you get 2 sets of tips (clear and orange), which is awesome.

Now for the bad. The cable is atrocious. It’s a noodle cable, which I despise, but it’s also the J style which I know Sony loves. I just don’t know very many people that feel the same way as the Sony engineers apparently did about the J cable.

Also, the remote is giant, and it’s located right by your ear. This is a problem because you can feel the weight of the remote pulling on your ear.

Finally, the cable is microphonic AF. I have never had a more microphonic cable. I can actually touch the cable and it sounds like a loud thumping kick drum. I was touching/tapping the cable in tune with my music, which is great if you want to give all of your music an extra dimension of percussion :/

Im definitely going to figure out how to mod these to do something about the cable. Which is sad in a way, because they’re kind of a rare vintage piece. But they’re just not enjoyable in their current state - the cable is too distracting.

Other than that, they sound great! I only had a brief listen, but so far they sound as good if not better than the MH755.
Check out zmf modded mh1 thread on headfi

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #1,729 of 2,544
IMG_20201118_123200920.jpg

Are these a genuine MH755?

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #1,731 of 2,544
with 2 solder dots, congrats :)

Where did you get this centre vented MH755 from mate? and interesting coloured ear tips too :) I guess this is 2019 mfg? more close up photos, please

They came out of this sealed box SBH24 that I bought off a dude on my local Carousell marketplace. SG friends can see this link. Since the MH755 themselves have no sticker tag and the barcode on the box is ripped, I wanted to be sure. I ventured that finding one of these BT receivers would be the best shot at getting a genuine MH755 without paying exorbitant shipping, but dealing with goods of unknown provenance has had me paranoid that one could easily swap fake MH755s into a genuine SBH24 box and just attach new seals. Hence my seeking verification here :)

IMG_20201118_125537415.jpg

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,732 of 2,544
They came out of this sealed box SBH24 that I bought off a dude on my local Carousell marketplace. SG friends can see this link. Since the MH755 themselves have no sticker tag and the barcode on the box is ripped, I wanted to be sure. I ventured that finding one of these BT receivers would be the best shot at getting a genuine MH755 without paying exorbitant shipping, but dealing with goods of unknown provenance has had me paranoid that one could easily swap fake MH755s into a genuine SBH24 box and just attach new seals. Hence my seeking verification here :)

hahaha or you could have gotten an exact same and cheaper centre vent MH750 which are still widely available :)

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #1,733 of 2,544
hahaha or you could have gotten an exact same and cheaper centre vent MH750 which are still widely available :)

Ooh do you know of a local source for those, or do we have to turn to the eBay or Amazon JP sellers mentioned previously in the thread?

They do sound excellent :)

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #1,734 of 2,544

IMG_20201118_125537415.jpg

How's the SBH 24 itself?

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #1,738 of 2,544
MH1 swapped to 750/755 housing
Are these your earphones?
Is the MH1 case fixed with glue or in some other way in the MH750 case?

Interesting. How do they sound?
I tried this method too, at least the rear bypass changes and the sound can become a little more bassy. Also, it is not so easy to completely and accurately seal the gaps between the MH1 and MH750 housings(where there used to be a sound tube in MH750).
Based on personal experience, it is better to keep the original black rubber back part. To remove the risk of pulling the DD driver with this rubber black part (they are both glued) out of the metal case. If you remove the DD driver from the metal case, then the black double-sided "tape", on which the DD driver is fixed to the metal case from the side of the sound tube (just like the DD driver is attached to the plastic case in the MH750\MH755), will be damaged. This can reduce the quality of low frequencies.

Attachments

• 11190772.jpg
    11190772.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 18, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #1,739 of 2,544
Are these your earphones?
Is the MH1 case fixed with glue or in some other way in the MH750 case?

I tried this method too, at least the rear bypass changes and the sound can become a little more bassy. Also, it is not so easy to completely and accurately seal the gaps between the MH1 and MH750 housings(where there used to be a sound tube in MH750).
Based on personal experience, it is better to keep the original black rubber back part. To remove the risk of pulling the DD driver with this rubber black part (they are both glued) out of the metal case. If you remove the DD driver from the metal case, then the black double-sided "tape", on which the DD driver is fixed to the metal case from the side of the sound tube (just like the DD driver is attached to the plastic case in the MH750\MH755), will be damaged. This can reduce the quality of low frequencies.

Yes I am. I cut a part of rubber back housing., and adjust a lenght of MH1 driver tube (alluminium housing) by hand sanding. No glue added, only push MH1 tube to fit and lock with MH755 housing.

And yes, it’s become bassy, but in a good side to my taste.

Your mmcx mod is very interesting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back