Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Nov 15, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #1,711 of 2,544
My Sony box. One box to rule them all :wink:
Nice storage mate :)

also, the 2nd cause for failures in IEM/Earbuds is the lack of good strain reliefs, Sony's L angled jacks are durable enough to go without them :)
IMG_20201115_211235.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #1,712 of 2,544
So I got that Sony Ericson MH1 today.

At first, I thought something was wrong with it. The second I plugged it in, it sounded quiet, distant, and garbled. Then after about 5 minutes it sounded perfectly normal. I guess sitting around in some warehouse for 10 years maybe caused the diaphragm to get kinda stiff or stick or whatever. It just needed a few minutes to exercise and get unstuck.

Anyways, the tips are awesome, and unlike any other Sony tips I’ve seen. They’re the same shape and color as the MH750 and MH755 tips, but the silicone is softer and stickier, and they are shiny at the bottom of the skirt. The silicone reminds me of the Sony hybrid tips (the black ones with the pastel colored cores). And you get 2 sets of tips (clear and orange), which is awesome.

Now for the bad. The cable is atrocious. It’s a noodle cable, which I despise, but it’s also the J style which I know Sony loves. I just don’t know very many people that feel the same way as the Sony engineers apparently did about the J cable.

Also, the remote is giant, and it’s located right by your ear. This is a problem because you can feel the weight of the remote pulling on your ear.

Finally, the cable is microphonic AF. I have never had a more microphonic cable. I can actually touch the cable and it sounds like a loud thumping kick drum. I was touching/tapping the cable in tune with my music, which is great if you want to give all of your music an extra dimension of percussion :/

Im definitely going to figure out how to mod these to do something about the cable. Which is sad in a way, because they’re kind of a rare vintage piece. But they’re just not enjoyable in their current state - the cable is too distracting.

Other than that, they sound great! I only had a brief listen, but so far they sound as good if not better than the MH755.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #1,714 of 2,544
Better than the 755?! I remember reading about the Mh1c years back. Never did get on to a pair. The MH750s i have, have very microphonic cables as well.

Imagine the microphonics of the MH750, multiplied 10 fold. That’s what these are!

Nov 16, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #1,716 of 2,544
Also, I’m not sure what the difference is between the MH1 and the MH1C (if any).

Can anyone elaborate?

Apparently it has something to do with whether the mic and remote will work properly with your phone. From @ClieOS:

Bear with me here in this section as it is quite important if you are interested in getting a MH1. Let’s begin by explaining two standards used in making the 3.5mm TRRS plug on headset – OMTP and CTIA (both are organizations for mobile standards). For OMTP, the TRRS plug is wired as [Left-Right-Mic-Ground] (from tip-to-sleeve); for CTIA, the TRRS is wired as [Left-Right-Ground-Mic]. Since OMTP was initially endorsed by Ericsson (and Nokia, which still uses the OMTP standard), all of their cellphone, including those under the Sony Ericsson branding, uses this standard. It also got adopted by a few other cellphone manufacturers as standard before mid 2011, such as LG, Motorola, Sony and Samsung. In mid 2010, the OMTP organization transitioned itself into another organization (the WAC, if you are interest to know), and the OMTP standard for headset was subsequently being phased out by most manufacturers within the following year (* it takes time to sell off old models) in favor of the CTIA standard. Part of the big reason for adapting the CTIA standard might be due to the fact that it is the standard used by Apple on their iDevice, which represent a big share of the headset market. Standardization demands from political groups (i.e. the EU) also played a role to push for one headset standard that will work on both Android and iOS, as well as most dumbphones (except for Nokia, which doesn’t like to play with other for now).

Now that we have learned about the two standards, let talks more specifically in MH1. When MH1 was first announced, it was named ‘LiveSound’ under the Sony Ericsson brand and complied with the old OMTP standard. But when Sony bought out Ericssion’s share of the company and began to introduce their own Sony Xperia brand of Android smarphone, they start to adapt the CTIA standard on all their headsets. The new MH1 (*referred as MH1C, ’C’ is short for ‘CTIA’ presumably) is then renamed as ‘Smart Headset’ to differentiate itself from the old ‘LiveSound’ version. It was supposed to be a fairly easy and clean transition, but unfortunately it isn’t. Some of the new MH1(C) with CTIA wiring is still being sold on various part of the world under the ‘LiveSound’ moniker while other parts of the world already use the new ‘Smart Headset’ moniker. One thing for sure, if you see a MH1 with an old Sony Ericsson logo on the side, it is the OMTP version and not compatible to the newer Android smartphone. If it only has Sony logo stamped on the side, and being referred as ‘smart headset’ or with model name MH1C, then likely it is the new CTIA version. However, the only sure-fire way is to check with the seller for compatibility. In the event that you have acquired the wrong version for your cellphone, don’t despair – an inexpensive TRRS smart adapter will allow OTMP headset to work on a CTIA cellphone (and vice versa).

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #1,717 of 2,544
Apparently it has something to do with whether the mic and remote will work properly with your phone. From @ClieOS:

Ah, ok very helpful. So basically from a strictly sonic standpoint, it’s makes no difference whatsoever. The only difference is the microphone standard, which I don’t care about.

Thanks so much for the info!

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #1,718 of 2,544
The cable is atrocious. It’s a noodle cable, which I despise, but it’s also the J style which I know Sony loves.

Their love for linguine sure continues to this very day

IMG_20201117_120545223.jpg

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #1,720 of 2,544
Imagine the microphonics of the MH750, multiplied 10 fold. That’s what these are!

I'd rather not imagine something that bad! If you really think they sound better than the 750s i may have to find a pair though. They were originally like $20 or something if i remember right. Where did you find yours and how much did you pay?

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #1,721 of 2,544
I'd rather not imagine something that bad! If you really think they sound better than the 750s i may have to find a pair though. They were originally like $20 or something if i remember right. Where did you find yours and how much did you pay?

I got mine from some guy in the UK that was posted in this thread. I had to pay extra shipping to get them to the states though.

Lemme do some dedicated A/Bing tonight and see if I can nail down how exactly they compare to the MH755 and MH750. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #1,722 of 2,544
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #1,724 of 2,544
Imho:

MH750 ~~ MH755 < MH1c ~< MH1-bl <<< MH750(with EQ) ~= MH755(with EQ) ~< MH1c(with EQ) ~< MH1-bl(with EQ)

If compare all Sony MH on the same source, with the same MMCX cable, with the same ear tips, with the same o-rings on ear tips, with the same music, same volume, small pauses between comparisons, etc.

I will add about all MH1: the Y-shaped design of the cable(after the headset control) itself pushes the earphones out of the ears to the sides opposite from the ears.

Also, the use of such a flat cable makes it impossible to place the cable behind the ears.

Among any MH1, there are many problems or even defects(for example, channel imbalance; problems with sound after pressure drops, humidity, temperature).
In my experience, MH1c is more problematic than MH1-bl.
I would advise to buy the already proven MH1(100% working without issues) or maybe buy atleast 2(or 3) pairs from very old stocks.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,725 of 2,544
Imho:

MH750 ~~ MH755 < MH1c ~< MH1-bl <<< MH750(with EQ) ~= MH755(with EQ) ~< MH1c(with EQ) ~< MH1-bl(with EQ)

If compare all Sony MH on the same source, with the same MMCX cable, with the same ear tips, with the same o-rings on ear tips, with the same music, same volume, small pauses between comparisons, etc.

I will add about all MH1: the Y-shaped design of the cable(after the headset control) itself pushes the earphones out of the ears to the sides opposite from the ears.

Also, the use of such a flat cable makes it impossible to place the cable behind the ears.

Among any MH1, there are many problems or even defects(for example, channel imbalance; problems with sound after pressure drops, humidity, temperature).
In my experience, MH1c is more problematic than MH1-bl.
I would advise to buy the already proven MH1(100% working without issues) or maybe buy atleast 2(or 3) pairs from very old stocks.

Good to know that the MH1C has some QC issues. I have zero problems with my MH1 (other than that muffled weird thing out of the box which totally went away after a few minutes).

I do agree with the fit comments. The crap noodle cable and heavy remote causes some fit issues.

I suspect that I’m going to have to use foam tips to lock them in my ears more solidly. Either that, or recable them or reshell them into different shells.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back