Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #1,066 of 2,543
Pretty obvious in 'Billie Jean', the beat starts off with a bassdrum, snare and closed hi-hat, then a shaker joins in on the right. With the 'centered dot' version from my SBH24 this shaker gets quite lost in comparsion to the one with the 'off-centered-oval-shaped-filter' ones, so at least they seem to differ within that frequency range.

You are right, there are very small differences between the 2 drivers you mentioned.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #1,068 of 2,543
So you're looking at US $7-10 for a genuine an MH755 pair at the moment, or do they actually sell on AliE still?

I think I paid 12-13 for a pink tip set when they were getting harder to find.

My real deal from Ebay (12,90€) for comparsion reasons just arrived. I actually prefer it to the one from the SBH24 Set, in direct comparsion the one from the SBH24 appears a bit dull/lifeless to me.

Pretty obvious in 'Billie Jean', the beat starts off with a bassdrum, snare and closed hi-hat, then a shaker joins in on the right. With the 'centered dot' version from my SBH24 this shaker gets quite lost in comparsion to the one with the 'off-centered-oval-shaped-filter' ones, so at least they seem to differ within that frequency range.

For the amount of bass and sub-bass I personally can't hear any noticable difference. To my ears, both reach deep down at pretty decent levels as I like to quick-check with E-40's 'Yup'.

Glad I tried them. What a great pick for the price, even at 12,90€ + recabling. I found a classic EarPod cable to be my favorite match for now. No fancy looks and a pain to solder but nice slippy surface, sturdy, ultra light weight and superb remote and mic. Too bad they never made a black version.

You are right, there are very small differences between the 2 drivers you mentioned.

Good to know. I wonder if your set is either an early or late build that they changed suppliers/components on.

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,069 of 2,543
Edit:
I wonder if your set is either an early or late build that they changed suppliers/components on.

Bought about two weeks ago on amazon (3rd party), the label shows this:

IMG_2745.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,072 of 2,543
I ordered a set of black sony MH755 from a local online shop, just out of curiosity. They had the circle vent in the middle without any foam in the nozzle. Sound a lot worse than the white ones.

The black one is just too bassy/muddy. So far only white ones seem to be worth buying and waiting for (via AliExpress or ebay)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #1,074 of 2,543
At least I'd not recommend buying the SBH24 set just to be shure to get some original drivers. If my purchase is no counterfeit of the whole set, Sony might have altered the included headset to the shown 'round vent' drivers for some reason.

Now I know their slight differences, I'd personally always go for the 'oval vent' ones, which were also shown earlier in this thread to be the legit/origin MH-755.

'Round vent':
IMG_2725.jpg

'Oval vent':
IMG_2728.jpg

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #1,075 of 2,543
MH755 vs MH1:
MPztZWY.png

The MH1 sounds unnatural and veiled. The stronger midbass and weaker subbass is also pretty noticeable.
My measuring mic costs less than $10, hence the early bass rolloff.

In a few days, I'll add measurements for both of them completely sealed.

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #1,076 of 2,543
Some fun with reshelling the mh755.
I had 2 spare drivers from the first mmcx modification fail. Original plastic shells did not survive, so I ordered these metal ones for experimenting. I must say they look absolutely fabulous and the quality is higher than expected.
The tuning changed quite noticably, but in a good way. I'm not very good at describing the outcome, but my recabled mh755 pair sounds a bit boring and lifeless now. Sub bass goes even deeper, soundstage became wider, details have elevated, but nowhere close to shouty or sibilant. I had to stuff the nozzle to tame the upper end a bit though.
The shell shape is very unique I can use almost any type of tips and put cable down or over the ear. I did some tip rolling and found these short stem tips fit the best, I can get a very deep insertion and the isolation is outstanding. My only complaint is the driver flex at the time of the insertion, but it is non-existant after that.
DSC_0201-01.jpeg

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #1,078 of 2,543
Hey, I too have a extra set of MH-755 drivers laying around from a failed first time mmcx mod attempt. Can I ask where you got those metal shells? I am interested in doing similar with my drivers.
Sure, just search for "10mm metal earphone shell" @ Aliexpress. There are a lot of options, but I liked this one because of the shape, it's like an earbud with a nozzle.

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #1,079 of 2,543
Some fun with reshelling the mh755.
I had 2 spare drivers from the first mmcx modification fail. Original plastic shells did not survive, so I ordered these metal ones for experimenting. I must say they look absolutely fabulous and the quality is higher than expected.
The tuning changed quite noticably, but in a good way. I'm not very good at describing the outcome, but my recabled mh755 pair sounds a bit boring and lifeless now. Sub bass goes even deeper, soundstage became wider, details have elevated, but nowhere close to shouty or sibilant. I had to stuff the nozzle to tame the upper end a bit though.
The shell shape is very unique I can use almost any type of tips and put cable down or over the ear. I did some tip rolling and found these short stem tips fit the best, I can get a very deep insertion and the isolation is outstanding. My only complaint is the driver flex at the time of the insertion, but it is non-existant after that.

I've done exactly the same thing not too long ago, with the same shell.

cCEcszy.jpg

But my only complaint is the harshness and congested mid-high to high... I have to place the eartips on the first rib from the double rib style nozzle in order to fix the problem.

P. S. From the previous reshells, I found that the black mesh is really important to tame down the highs. So this reshell also uses the original mesh instead of the metal one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back