Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Dec 14, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #1,006 of 2,544
T2 is considered king of hill, who does bass compares with 755

I'm hoping that is the case because if so I'll use the T2 for my on-the-go music listening and the MH755 will be permanent Rift S IEMs. If I prefer the 755 I'll probably have to reconsider that plan haha.

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,007 of 2,544
I just received the MH755 in mail today. Sometime soon I should be receiving the Tin T2 as well so I can provide some comparisons with both. In the past I've owned the KZ ZSX and the ER4SR. Here are my initial impressions:

BASS: Elevated in lower frequencies but doesn't bleed or muddy the midrange. A little more bass than I would personally like, but otherwise very nice and clean.
MIDS: These to me sound pretty flat. A hint of shoutyness in the upper mids. reducing that range a few db makes music sound a little smoother especially female singers. Otherwise the mids are excellent.
HIGHS: Again everything here sounds pretty neutral. No offensive honkyness or sibilance has been detected.
OVERALL: Close to neutral with a boost in lower bass frequencies that don't seem to hinder midrange performance. Very musically pleasing while remaining neutral enough.

The MH755 is damn good for <$15. That fact is already established. They sound mostly balance with a boost in lower bass frequencies and some mild shoutyness in the treble, but nothing that would scare me away. While the wire is an annoying aspect of this IEM, I actually think in some cases it can be usefull. Today I was playing some games on my Rift S and these make the perfect IEMs as the cable is short enough to never get caught in your arms. I think these make amazing IEMs for that very specific use case. If you don't have VR or a blue tooth adapter though the cable is probably useless and needs to be changes ASAP. I think I'll keep it around and use an extension cable for other applications.

there are ways to reduce the bass, like plugging the top vents and sealing the opening near the cables. I've personally modded them to MMCX and found that filling almost the entire rear shell with epoxy tames the bass nicely. Do take care to avoid sealing the vent on the driver itself if others want to attempt this, that distorts the driver completely as I've learnt the first time I tried.

Sadly though, I found this too late as it seems another Sony old IEM has overtaken the MH755 for me, the MDR-AS800AP. A bit less mid-bass but much better sub-bass, with a bigger soundstage, more prominent mids and smoother treble. Pity its hard to find and much, much more expensive than the MH755, so I can't mod them to MMCX willy-nilly (luckily its a standard long cable).

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,008 of 2,544
Screenshot_2019-12-15-10-55-44.png

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,010 of 2,544
I should have been clearer and include the fact that I'm not based in the States. Only 1 online listing for my country and its at least 4 times as expensive as MH755.

26 bux, that's not a bad price for it (ebay have it for 56, I think?)
I bought it based off your impression, hope it sounds good :-D

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,011 of 2,544
Dec 15, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #1,012 of 2,544
I bought it based off your impression, hope it sounds good :-D

hopefully it does:grin:, but yeah, its quite a bummer that its not as ubiquitous as the MH755.

Do tip roll a bit though. ended up using the AET08 on it since the stock tips made it quite bassy, narrowest bore I've seen, even narrower than the stock MH755 tips. Ironically the MH755 tips also feels a lot more comfortable than the stock AS800 tips.

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #1,013 of 2,544
One more thing. The MH755 treble can be kinda harsh. That’s why Sony put the foam in the nozzle and also used that black nozzle mesh.

So you may want to try that on the new shell if it’s too hot for you. If the black nozzle mesh from the Sony is too small for the stainless mesh that comes with the metal shell, just stick it on top of the stainless mesh like a sandwich.

Basically when reshelling drivers, you have to do all of the tuning yourself. It’s a lot of trial and error. Sometimes the results are better than the original shell, and sometimes the finally results are worse. But that’s the fun in modding :)
I just received the MH755 and one of the first things that popped in my head is this is a fun signature, but that treble is a little harsh as you mentioned, Slater.

Right now, I don't plan on switching out the cable with a MMCX mod because I just wanted to play around with this for a couple of bucks and I'm pretty crap with a soldering iron. Is there anyway I can tame the treble without EQ? Small tissue paper into the tip?

Dec 20, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #1,014 of 2,544
Is there anyway I can tame the treble without EQ?

A small strip of micropore tape over the end of the nozzle should do the trick. In other words, remove TV e silicone eartip, cut a very small square of Micropore tape, put it over the end of the nozzle, and reinstall the silicone eartip.

You’ll have to experiment with the size of the micropore.

If you don’t have any micropore tape, you can try a small piece of a tea bag filter (unused not used). It’s not adhesive-backed, but the eartip will hold the piece of tea bag filter in place.

You can also try some different eartips (ie “tip rolling”).

Let us know how it goes!

Dec 21, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #1,015 of 2,544
I don’t see much online about the Sony MH410c earbud, so I suppose this is as good a place as any for this post.

Tyll Hertsens wrote back in 2011 that “pretty much all earbuds suck.” As a group, they consistently have the most anemic bass and the worst distortion. Measurements of earbuds back this up. Tyll’s 2011 article actually concluded that the original Apple earbuds were the best of a bad lot.

Things have changed since 2011, but maybe only a little bit. The Earpods came out in 2012, and despite all the vitriol from the haters, it actually has some sophisticated acoustic engineering behind its design. It sucks much less than the category average.

To some degree, I think the same can be said about the unremarkable Sony MH410c, provided that you supply your own earbud foam covers. Speakerphone published detailed measurements of the MH410c over at Clarityfidelity. In short, it has no bass, and lots of distortion—i.e., yucky just like other earbuds. The page has other interesting tidbits, like screenshots of a Walkman app for the Sony Xperia Z3, with preset EQ settings for the MH1c, MH750, and MH410. There's even a measurement of the MH410c frequency response with this app's EQ.

What wasn’t measured is the effect of earbud foam covers. It makes sense. The pair I ordered from Amazon didn’t come with them either. The sound was indeed thin. But an earbud foam cover does two things: 1) It helps earbuds get into a better position closer to the ear canal’s opening. This coupling increases the response in the bass. 2) Earbud foam can act as an acoustic damper. Often, it reduces the severity of resonant peaks in the treble.

I used an attachment that came with my couplers to make the next measurement. It’s not a pinna simulator, so the result isn’t directly comparable to the ones at Clarityfidelity. The result, however, matches what I’m hearing from the MH410c.

Sony MH410c frequency response with earbud foam covers. Measurement repeated after reseat for each channel.
Light gray: VE Monk Plus frequency response.​

I suppose it’s not too bad for an earbud. To my ears, it sounds much better than the hyped VE Monk Plus, but that’s not really saying much. I’ve read that the original Monk was way better. My three pairs of Monk Plus all have a very prominent peak at 2 kHz. It’s too tall and it's in the wrong place. It makes vocals sound too much in your face. It obscures the other parts of the mix and makes the presentation sound even more bass-light than it already is.

The Sony isn’t as bad. The frequency response is closer to textbook. Vocals have better tone, and they play nicer with the rest of the mix. The earbud foam seems to have reduced the level of the 6 kHz peak, compared to Speakerphone’s measurement. Comparing the earbuds with speakers and a pair of HD600 made it clear that the Monk Plus is the one that is off. The MH410c sounded much more similar, with a frequency balance in the same ballpark. Switching to it from my speakers or my other headphones isn’t too jarring. But maybe that’s just me and my peculiar way of hearing things. YMMV.

So there you have it. Earbuds suck. Earbud foam makes them suck less. Even less so on these Sony MH410c.

Sony MH410c and VE Monk Plus​

About the microphone: When I recorded my voice using the MH410c, the result didn’t sound noticeably worse than with the Earpods, which have good mics.
About the cable: Yes, it's a J cable like on the MH750. It's not as short as the one on the MH755.
I also happen to have a pair of MH410s from an older Xperia phone and the VE Monk Plus!

SQ isn't the best on the MH410. Interesting about the earfoam covers. I might try the cheapo earfoam covers from the VE Monk Plus on the MH410 and see if that helps at all.

Dec 28, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,017 of 2,544
Can you gently remind me what's the version that has the long cable that doesn't need recabling?
If you're asking about the long cable version of mh755 with more bass, it's the mh750 you're asking about.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #1,019 of 2,544
Dec 29, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #1,020 of 2,544
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back