Sony budget CD players
Aug 24, 2001 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Paul Laurens

New Head-Fier
I read a favourable review today of a Sony SA-something 70 player. What's everyone's opinion on this and other low cost Sony players? I want to listen through the headphone outlet with my Grado 125s. The CD technology is mature at this point; we should be able to get great CD sound for super cheap if the manufacturers spend the money on sonics rather than buttons and shiney useless features.

Aug 24, 2001 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 20
I'm not sure if Sony makes any good CD players in the "budget" range (for me, that is below $80 with shipping/tax). In fact, some might argue Sony makes NO good portable CD players if they are to be used out of the headphone out. I have heard their current flagship PCDP, the D-EJ101 is actually very good out of the line out....

I think most people would agree the best "budget" CD player is the Panasonic CT470 - the 570 is my reccomendation, since it is just a LITTLE more expensive, but more durable (aluminum cover).

Aug 24, 2001 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 20
Hmm.....you're right
biggrin.gif

I would personally reccomend TEAC's CDP1120 or whatever....I might be getting that...

Aug 24, 2001 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 20
I also assume we are talking home units here.
Sony is known to make some very good budgerd units, together with Technics. In particular, CDP XE330 has been praised as the king of the budget class, closely followed by Technics SL PG490. Both are very good value (you can find them under 100 USD). I have the Technics and should say that it's a great machine for the money. It has a optical out, remote, peak search... in one word everything a user will ever need. Soundwize, it is not a bad player too, although it can't compete with the 4.5 times more expensive Marantz CD6000OSE. The Sonys in this class are more forward and detailed sounding, the Technics is warm and lush in comparison.

Aug 24, 2001 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 20
but Sony is a mess. They sell some great componanants but also sell total dog excrament.

All of their electonic audio devices are garbage with the exeption of their SACD players...not including the horrid and ridiculously overpriced Sony ES333 multi disc changing SACD.UGGGH what a travesty.

The very entry level cd players are ok cause their only competion is from the likes of Technics, Pioneer, and Kenwood. Might as well flip a four-sided coin for the difference any of those are going to make.

I had a $300.00CDN portable from Sony that was horrible and bested easily for sound, battery life and antishock capability by a $120.00 Panasonic 270sx(this one even plays CDRs).

Sony for Video(not including DVD players or VCRs) and maybe some Headphones - although you have to be careful which ones.

Aug 24, 2001 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by RGA
but Sony is a mess. They sell some great componanants but also sell total dog excrament.

All of their electonic audio devices are garbage with the exeption of their SACD players...not including the horrid and ridiculously overpriced Sony ES333 multi disc changing SACD.UGGGH what a travesty.

The very entry level cd players are ok cause their only competion is from the likes of Technics, Pioneer, and Kenwood. Might as well flip a four-sided coin for the difference any of those are going to make.

I had a $300.00CDN portable from Sony that was horrible and bested easily for sound, battery life and antishock capability by a $120.00 Panasonic 270sx(this one even plays CDRs).

Sony for Video(not including DVD players or VCRs) and maybe some Headphones - although you have to be careful which ones.

Wow, take it easy man!
I'm not a Sony fan at all. In fact the only Sony component I own is my MD deck, but you've been way too harsh on Sony.
First of all, the competition in the budget class includes a lot more than you listed; Marantz, JVC, Denon, Philips (recently discontinued), Cambridge Audio, Yamaha, NÁD, Harman Kardon, Teac and perhaps others make CD players in the $200 class and Sony is still going strong.
In the mid class they also have some nice machines like SCD940 and yes the changer you mantioned (mind I hate changers).
In the audiophile class they still manage to keep up with stuff like SCD XE555 and 777.
In short, like it or not (based on your private experienece) it is far too early to dismiss Sony unfortunartely

Aug 25, 2001 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

not including the horrid and ridiculously overpriced Sony ES333 multi disc changing SACD

OMG. Only someone who has never actually heard or seen this unit in real life could make such a statement.

The SCD-C333ES is a GREAT unit. Overpriced? It was highly recommended by EVERY reviewer at $1200, including a Stereophile Class B rec (in the same class as the Philips SACD1000, CAL CL-15, and Rega Planet), and you can buy them new now for less than $550. Horrid? Its Redbook playback is competitive with $1000 Redbook-only players like the Rega Planet 2000 and the MF A3CD, and its SACD playback is simply stellar. Not only is it an amazing unit, but it's also one of the best buys in audio.

How ANYONE who has actually heard this unit could call it "horrid and ridiculously overpriced" is beyond me. This is one of the most incomprehensible statements I've read on Head-Fi.

Aug 25, 2001 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 20
I agree with MacDEF. The SCD333 is one of the two most respected CDPs Headwize/Headfi has recommended consistently, the other being the Denon DCM-370. Paying $550 for a $1200 level player simply seals the bargain. I don't plan on upgrading my 370 anytime soon, but if I did, the SCD333 would be way at the top of my list.

Aug 25, 2001 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 20
vertigo-1,
it is more properly "all your headphone are belong to us!".

omyghawd i'm a geek.

Aug 25, 2001 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by RGA

I'm guessing you've never actually seen, touched or heard this player -- am I right? It's built like a tank. And I haven't heard a CD player under a grand that sounds as good, not to mention its SACD playback ability. I auditioned several players before I decided to keep the 333.

But I also remember in another thread that you suggested the Orpheus by Sennheiser didn't quite match up to the HD-600's by Sennheiser.

Quote:

The HD600 can be had in the States for a good price and I think they give a bit more presence to both frequency extremes(which is largely why I bought the HD600s).

You will have to spend considerable money to best the Senns. The Orpheus didn't do it at $18,000.00CDN.

Of course, everyone is entitled to his opinion. I'm just wondering if you've actuallly heard the SCD-C333ES or the Sennheiser Orpheus.

Aug 25, 2001 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 20
Not to mention the phrase "all of their electronic audio devices are garbage" -- does that include all their MiniDisc players and portable audio recorders like the respected devices used by many reporters?

Aug 26, 2001 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 20
I have CDP920 and SCD940, and I think both of them sound bad, I use them as transports and 940 is going to be totally upgraded.
I guess I could never listen to a budget player from Sony if I was to enjoy the sound, however it´s a question about money (for most people) and also the ears gets more picky as the time goes.

/Pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back