Sony, Bose, Beats or Plantronics ?
Feb 9, 2017 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Krwell

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, 

i have decided to buy new wireless headphones. I want to use them just for listening music at home or outside when will go to somewhere. I prefer over-ear type but it can be on-ear too.
I have choosen few models, but not sure which one is the best for me, so:

Bose Quietcomfort 35
Beats Solo3 Wireless
Sony MDR-1000XC
Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2

Can somebody help me to choose one of them or recommend me some other type. I will use them with my iPhone 7 Plus and iPad mini 4 mainly and sometimes with Macbook Pro.
Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Marek

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 12
  Hello guys, 

i have decided to buy new wireless headphones. I want to use them just for listening music at home or outside when will go to somewhere. I prefer over-ear type but it can be on-ear too.
I have choosen few models, but not sure which one is the best for me, so:

Bose Quietcomfort 35
Beats Solo3 Wireless
Sony MDR-1000XC
Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2

Can somebody help me to choose one of them or recommend me some other type. I will use them with my iPhone 7 Plus and iPad mini 4 mainly and sometimes with Macbook Pro.
Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Marek

Of those on your list, I like the Bose and the Beats. I would add to it the AKG K845BT, which is in your general price range and sounds outstanding--probably better than anything on your list, IMHO. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you so much for your opinion. I will try to find that AKG in some store in my country, because i found them on only few e-shops because they are abou 2 years old.

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 12
For use with Apple products the beats will have an absolutely seamless connection and streaming experience, and they don't sound bad either. That would be my recommendation, but it should be noted that they are on-ear headphones so the main issue you may find with them is comfort. Some people do not like having a headphone that sits on their ears rather than around them.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 12
Thank you guys for your opinions. I know that this choice is subjective and now each of your answers or recommendation was for different headphones, so i hope that more people join this thread and I will find the best choice for me :)

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 12
Out of the 4, I would recommend the Sony MDR-1000XC. I never use wireless headphones (mainly due to sound quality for the price issues), but I have had experience with the Bose, Beats and Sony, and I preferred the Sony's the most. Unfortunately, there was also the fact that I could and can never judge a Beats product fairly due to their relatively poor and overpriced products in the past.

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 12
I'd get the Beats Solo 3 beacuse that's what I've decided to buy for myself. :wink:

Personally, I don't like ANC, and I don't think you need it unless you work in a noisy office, or you fly often.  Do you work in a noisy office, or fly often? 

I don't like ANC because:

1. Headphones will always sound worse if they have ANC, when compared to non-ANC headphones at the same price, or cheaper. 
Generally, the more effective the ANC is, the worse the sound quality. 

2. If you're just walking around, it's dangerous to have ANC turned on beacuse you can't hear your surroundings. 

3.  They have a weird effect on your ears when the ANC is on. It's uncomfortable, much like when you're on an airplane, and the plane is descending (but much milder).

The Bose QC35 don't sound horrible, but if you love clear highs, then you're not going to get them from this headphone. 

I have Audio Technica ANC9s because I work in an "Open Plan" office (ugh....), and the ANC9 have a very effective ANC, and have better sound quality than the Bose QC25 at the time I bought them (the QC35 didn't exist at the time).  So, they sound good for ANC headphones, but do they sound great compared to normal headphones?  No.   Heck no.  They sound like $100 headphone, except that I paid much more for them.

Don't buy the QC35 or Sony 1000X (I've never tried them) because they have ANC.

The Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 sound awful to my ears.  That, and they're ugly and look silly for a headphone that you'd wear around outdoors. 

The Beats Solo 3 sound great, have 40 hours of battery life (I've read reports of people getting longer than 40 hours!!!), the strongest Bluetooth signal you can get from a headphone (!!!), and communicates well with Apple iPhones, iPads, and Macs due to its W1 chip.  The ONLY downside are their plastic-y build.  Meh, it's not a big deal though.  Just buy the Solo 3.

If you can find them on sale, perhaps consider the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless (or P7 Wireless).  They don't last as long on battery power (roughly 15 hours of real-world use), but they look stunning, feel amazing, and have the best sound quality of any wireless headphone.  And they don't have ANC. :wink:

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #9 of 12
Thank you so much for great review. Will try to look at that Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless, but dont like that design so much. I dont work in noisy place or fly often, but we will have baby in 6 months, so NC should be fine :D .
The biggest reason for me to buy Solo 3 will be the best communication with Apple.

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 12
ANC won't block out a baby's crying, or voices in general. :wink:  It barely attenuates high frequencies at all, and only attenuates mid-frequencies very slightly.  Almost all of the "NC" is in the low frequency range.

Also, the B&W P5 and P7 are one of the best headphone designs around!  It's all opinions, of course. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back