Sony aims to produce rival to iPod
Nov 5, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by White Knight Hmmm blessingx sound like a Mac zealot.

... or more accurately (see the wording) a non-exclusive Microsoft zealot (said by a several year ASP programmer/NT tech). I assume your comment is bait
rolleyes.gif
, but anyway would like companies support (or at least open up the code for others to do the work) Linux and OSX. NetMD never got around to it, so it seems unlikely this will either. I've switched between OS's over the years enough not to like OS dependent formats and I doubt there's anything MS dependent about ATRAC (if indeed that's what is used here for music). Sony though is interested in selling VAIO's so they don't have a good track record supporting non-Windows (even though there's a reasonably big Linux/VAIO community out there). And for all the slack Apple gets for being a closed vertical structured company, they're pretty OS agnostic, especially since OSX. I can use PC TT fonts, mount FAT/FAT32 disks, etc.

Remember a closed nature is a good chunk of the reason Sony's MD never took off.

It's hard for me to believe they're coming out with a competition to the iPod and have media that's not writable. I wonder if something has changed since May??

Nov 5, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Dweebgal
sony=all kinds of crazy copy protection=not good

damn straight

"Apple's lead in innovating in the portable music sector practically invented by Sony has been highlighted as typical "
sony design the ipod?

look great, i think those disc will be expensive like dvd-r. it'll probably be really annoying, like how you have to use sonic stage with minidisc players. they'll have some crappy software with this one too. look like its going to fall toward the young audience, especially for that price. i dont see how any thing $60 going to sound good with music.

btw the above picture seem like a digitally made one, not real.

Nov 5, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by terrymx
"Apple's lead in innovating in the portable music sector practically invented by Sony has been highlighted as typical "
sony design the ipod?

remember this one?
attachment.php

Nov 5, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #19 of 37
I predict it will die the death of too many functions.

wink.gif

--Chris

Nov 6, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #22 of 37
Here is the spec, gamespot

PSP CPU Core

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
8MB eDRAM main memory
2.6Gbps bus bandwidth
FPU, VFPU (2.6 billion flops)
3D graphics extended instructions
I Cache, D Cache

PSP Media Engine

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
2MB eDRAM submemory
I-Cache, D-Cache
90nm CMOS

PSP Graphics Core

1-166MHz (1.2V)
256-bit bus
2MB eDRAM (VRAM)
5.3Gbps bus bandwidth
664 million pixels per second pizel fill rate
3D curved surface and 3D polygon engine
Support for compressed textures, hardware clipping, morphing, bone, tessellation, bezier, b-spline (NURBS)
Maximum of 33 million polygons per second
24-bit full color (RGBA)

Sound Core

VME (Virtual Mobile Engine)
Reconfigurable DSP
166MHz (1.2 V)
128-bit bus
5 giga operations per second
CODEC capabilities
3D sound, 7.1 channels
Synthesizer, effecter, and other abilities
ATRAC3 plus, AAC, MP3 for audio

Media

UMD (Universal Media Disc)
60mm-diameter disc
660nm laser diode
1.8GB capacity (dual-layered disc)
11Mbps transfer rate
AES crypto system
Unique disc ID
Shock proof
Regional code system
Parental lock system
Repeat ordering system

Other Specifications

16:9-format widescreen TFT LCD (480x272 pixels, 24-bit full color)
MPEG4 AVC decoder
Wireless LAN (802.11)
IrDA (Infrared Data Association)
USB 2.0
Memory Stick
AV in/out
Stereo headphone out
Lithium ion battery
Expansion port

Not bad for $60
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #23 of 37
This is the clear writing on the wall for Minidisc. R-I-P. However I;m sure it will be every bit as much a crippled devide as minidisc was with regard to moving your music around.

Nov 6, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #24 of 37
If anyone owns or have seen the Sony Design Center book, you'll notice how they have always envisioned a device that can add and subtract features such as a LCD screen, an audio player, and a phone, etc... wow I always knew it's just a matter of time before we see such a thing... and I thought the Clie was it... lol!

And Sony making it cheap is somehow interesting... seeing how they can spend $$$ to make Gran Turismo 4 (you guys seen those videos off www.playstation.com/jp) I guess they can make a PSP 60 bucks... I think they always lose money on hardware, but make big big bucks on software... at least that's how I see it...

Oh oops I just read the thread hehe I guess you guys think the same way hehe... yea software = big bucks! I remember when they first came out with the PS2 they said that they were initially actually losing money with each console being sold...

Nov 6, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #25 of 37
I'll believe the $60 price tag on all that when I see it. That's *incredibly* cheap for all that junque it does. Makes one wonder how cheaply it is assembled?

--Chris

Nov 6, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #26 of 37
Surely I'm not the only one that's seen this pic before, but I thought I'd mention it since it wasn't mentioned yet. No way in hell is this debuting for $60. (Though I'd love to be proved wrong...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

sony_vaio_digi_jpg_89491g.jpg

Vaio PVP Proto Specs: 3.5-inch high-resolution LCD screen and a 20GB hard drive. Supports MPEG-2 video. Haven't heard anything else yet...

And as for this comment:

Quote:

If anyone owns or have seen the Sony Design Center book, you'll notice how they have always envisioned a device that can add and subtract features such as a LCD screen, an audio player, and a phone, etc... wow I always knew it's just a matter of time before we see such a thing... and I thought the Clie was it... lol!

Haven't seen the Sony Design Center book, but... there was a device that I've read about a long while ago, one that I believe was to be manufactured by National Semiconductor. It was known as Origami, and could be twisted and folded in different ways to do different things. It was kind of like a combo cell phone/computer/music player/video player/etc. It never got off the ground.

IBM also had a similar concept for a PC, which was basically a base with at least three casings for it: a handheld with LCD, a laptop, and desktop. That was licensed out and is just now being released, but I believe it's being made available for $5000.

I hate how devices like these cost so much...

Nov 6, 2003 at 12:47 PM Post #29 of 37
A while ago Nikkei reported that Sony wants to debut a whole line of Vaio-branded portables next year (hoping that it'd boost Vaio sales). This would include that video prototype... Sony's got various "companies" (units) within the electronics division, which is probably why it's coming up with duplicate products: They did CoCoon, and then they came out with a separate line of DVRs. Looks like the Vaio portables will not replace, but overlap with the Clie, Walkman, and other product lines. (And have you noticed that the Clie is never on their future roadmaps?
tongue.gif
)

I haven't seen the Design Center book, but there's a whole Sony Design microsite on Sony Japan's website, so I have seen those "modular" prototypes
280smile.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #30 of 37
Another article [The Register]. As mentioned in it (and blueice's above stats)...

frown.gif
The device in the top right corner is the PSP Universal Media Disc (UMD), a DVD-like dual-layer medium offering 1.8GB of storage. UMD comes with DVD-style region coding and copy-protection mechanism based on the Advanced Encryption System (AES). Each disc has a unique ID number too.

tongue.gif
The PSP will feature Dolby 7.1 multi-channel audio, with 3D sound. It will support MP3, AAC and Sony's own ATRAC3 sound formats. It uses AVC (H.264) and MPEG4 for video. The machine's UMD media can hold up to two hours' of DVD-quality video or four hours 'standard' quality, whatever that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back