Sony A818 question
Dec 14, 2007 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TonySunshine

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All

For those of you who own a Sony A818, I got a question
So this player is UMS(drag and drop) compatible and allows you to browse by file folders on the player right?
Can I shuffle by folder only? What I mean is, lets say I'm browsing by folders and I want to play all the songs in a folder and its sub folders in shuffle.

Thanks

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 9
You can use UMS and MTP at the same time oddly enough.

Yes you can browse folders on the player while listening to music.

You can shuffle whatever is playing (you can choose to play a folder, album, artist, genre, year, playlist etc.) There is no OTG playlist that I have found though.

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use UMS and MTP at the same time oddly enough.

Indeed, you can use both drag/drop and MTP-mode sync with a media player app without switching modes or reformatting. I'm not sure the drag/drop in the Sony is quite the same as UMS in other devices, though. With UMS, it's been my experience that a device is assigned a drive letter and shows up in the list of removable drives that can be stopped in Windows before disconnecting. Neither of these things is true of the Sony.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 9
The NWZ-S616F will connect in either MTP mode or UMS mode. It's actually automatic and very nice. To my XP machine it connects in MTP and brings up WMP11 on my mac it connects via UMS and I can just drop music onto it or rsync my itunes playlist. It's very well executed and automatic. It would be nice if I could force the player to a certain mode but I find that even with MTP mode in XP there is no operation problems at all and I can still treat it as a drive in explorer. This device is very well executed! Kudos to sony.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 9
I think that the Sony is really only an MTP device in Windows. Sure, you can drag and drop to it, and manage files from Explorer, but that's allowed in the MTP protocol. That's why the Sony can do drag/drop or sync interchangeably, without any sort of mode change. There is no mode change, as it's just MTP.

If a device is UMS in Windows, it's assigned a drive letter and can be accessed as generic mass storage by other applications. That's not true of the new Sonys. You can only access the storage through a media sync app or through the operating system itself via Windows explorer.

I have no experience with Macs, so I don't know how it works there.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by grommal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the Sony is really only an MTP device in Windows. Sure, you can drag and drop to it, and manage files from Explorer, but that's allowed in the MTP protocol. That's why the Sony can do drag/drop or sync interchangeably, without any sort of mode change. There is no mode change, as it's just MTP.

If a device is UMS in Windows, it's assigned a drive letter and can be accessed as generic mass storage by other applications. That's not true of the new Sonys. You can only access the storage through a media sync app or through the operating system itself via Windows explorer.

I have no experience with Macs, so I don't know how it works there.

There is probably a way to force it to UMS... maybe disable MTp support in windows will make it mount as UMS...

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 9
I'm not sure if you can force it to UMS in XP or Vista, but in 2000 (which doesn't have MTP) it works as a UMS drive.

By the way to respond to the original poster; the intelligent shuffle really only works with ID3 tags. So if you have untagged files in a folder, it won't allow you to do the fancy stuff.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfnoise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way to respond to the original poster; the intelligent shuffle really only works with ID3 tags. So if you have untagged files in a folder, it won't allow you to do the fancy stuff.

Actually, you can do it...

From the main menu, go to Music Library > Folder > (folder) > (song file)
On the now playing screen, press Option.
Select "Play Mode".
Select "Shuffle".
Now it'll shuffle among songs in that folder.

EDIT: At least it seems to work right. My folders match up pretty closely with my ID3 tags, so I'm not certain it's shuffling based on the folder instead of the tag... but I think it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back