Sony A810, Sony S610 or Samsung T9?
Sep 24, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 18
Samsung T9 is mids forward and shows rich details in mids with great highs and solid bass. But Sony upcoming NWD-818 are realy good with same form factor of 810 and adds AAC, WMA subscription based music playback with FM radio(the sound quality willbe realy good too).

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Samsung T9 is mids forward and shows rich details in mids with great highs and solid bass. But Sony upcoming NWD-818 are realy good with same form factor of 810 and adds AAC, WMA subscription based music playback with FM radio(the sound quality willbe realy good too).

I just bought a NWZ A818 (8 GB). The A81x series does not have a radio. The S61x series does. The other differences are: A81x has a metal body, S61x plastic; the A81X is also a bit thinner, and taller, has a bigger screen, and comes with decent headphones (MDR EX85 equivalent).

I like the player a lot, except that it doesn't seem to delete folders (only songs), which will get more annoying as I add and subtract more music. Sony needs to fix this in a firmware update [EDIT: NEVER MIND - the folders are gone - not a problem] (no gapless either, but I knew that.) Otherwise, I really like it. The interface is great, and I love the quality feel of it and the tactile buttons, including dedicated volume, which I find very useful. Very easy to operate without looking at it. Great sound quality too.

I would like to hear about a comparison between the Sonys and the T9 though, especially sound quality. I was going to get the T9 until these Sonys came out. If the sound quality is equal, not sure what advantage the Samsung has (other than whatever bluetooth capability it has, if you consider that a plus). Also, I'm not sure you can find the T9 in 8GB capacity easily.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

no gapless either

Pity.
My A808 does gapless, but of course that is with sonic stage and atrac, and lots of people are seriously allergic to those two.
Anyway, the A8xx looks and sounds great IMO, I love it.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 18
According to Engadget, the A8xx series supports ums protocal but I can't find any info about this on Sony's website. I want to pick up this player but I'm on a Mac so I need basic drag and drop. Can someone who owns an 800 series walkman tell me how the device transfers media?

Thanks

Don

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsdad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Engadget, the A8xx series supports ums protocal but I can't find any info about this on Sony's website. I want to pick up this player but I'm on a Mac so I need basic drag and drop. Can someone who owns an 800 series walkman tell me how the device transfers media?

Thanks

Don

You can drag and drop files from mac os x. I also tried Suse 10.3, Gnome 2.2 and it worked as well.

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have any links to info on the NWD-818?

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have any links to info on the NWD-818?

It's the NWZ-A818, not NWD. There's a few reviews here, (not many, because it's just been released).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZA818.../dp/B000VD2130

Seems pretty popular now that SonicStage has been scrapped in favour of drag & drop. Quote:

From cnet: Of course, getting rid of SonicStage was a major help, as you can now use all the new Walkmans with WMA jukeboxes, such as Windows Media Player (WMP) and Rhapsody.

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

ZARIM said the NWD-818 has a FM tuner. Is he wrong or is the NWZ-A818 a different model?

Based on the amount of incorrect information in that post I would just ignore it.

(For starters there is no 'NWD'-A818 model. As I mentioned earlier, the NWZ-A818 does not have a radio. The NWZ-S61_ series does.)

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

ZARIM said the NWD-818 has a FM tuner. Is he wrong or is the NWZ-A818 a different model?

As far as I know, there is no such model as the NWD818.

The closest match to the one ZARIM describes (with an FM tuner) is the NWZ-S618 which is a new model.

The NWZ-S618 is physically a different model to the NWZ-A818 - slightly shorter and 'thicker'.

The 618 is here > you can see it's different. https://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/So...02BC29B74)/.do

Oh, and thank you Sony, for the 'memorable' names. . .
plainface.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 18
Ive heard both the new NWZ 818, 610 and my A805 with same file.

The 818 and 805 sound almost identical. The 805 has a bit more bite to the sound - but its so minor most people wont notice.

The 610 sound like the 810 but with a softer treble - its a smoother sounding player. I still perfer the 818 over the 610 but basicly they both sound almost identical.

Oct 5, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive heard both the new NWZ 818, 610 and my A805 with same file.The 818 and 805 sound almost identical. The 805 has a bit more bite to the sound - but its so minor most people wont notice.

How can there be any difference in sound? The 818 and 805 is exactly the same unit (apart from capacity).

All Sony did was drop SonicStage for the newer series. They're physically identical. One's drag & drop, one isn't, other than that, there's no difference. Did you mix up the comparisons maybe?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back